• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

laportian

My boss comes by there everyday. Says that they are up and running. I might go get nosey tomorrow morning.

Edited by laportian
spelling
  • 11 months later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gunner55

• tcroz

• smurfy

• Hoey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Buddy said the run is done. Got their quota in three days.

I'll be sure to warn everyone.😀

Yeah, better lock your doors.

gunner55

Bump! It could be soon, a lot of it by the Hwy 46 bridge was open 3 weeks ago.

Edited by gunner55
  • Thumbs Up 1

We drove by yesterday and the gates are locked, road is not plowed, and no gear on shore yet.  It will all be happening soon.

• Thumbs Up 1
gunner55

Williams Narrows looks like it starting to open pretty quick, especially to the west.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • 2 weeks later...
gunner55

We came up yesterday & didn't see the little trailer they use there yet. The cameras at The Narrows were showing a lot of open water going west too, when I looked this morning

• Thumbs Up 1
gunner55

We're just ~ 6 miles NE of where they set up the nets & there's still a little ice on the main lake here yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised to see them over there when we go in to GR tomorrow

39 minutes ago, gunner55 said:

We're just ~ 6 miles NE of where they set up the nets & there's still a little ice on the main lake here yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised to see them over there when we go in to GR tomorrow

and i know why you go that way to go to rapids!!!!!!!:P:rolleyes:

gunner55

Yeah, so I can see if that white chebby is parked down :whistle: there at the place where all the kids from Inger get on the bus.:grin:

3 hours ago, gunner55 said:

Yeah, so I can see if that white chebby is parked down :whistle: there at the place where all the kids from Inger get on the bus.:grin:

:wacko: there's always a van with iowa plates there!!!!!!😖😁

back on topic..........i'd love to watch that some day!!!!!!! 

gunner55

If they're runnin when we're up we usually stop in. A lot of big girls in the pens most of the time & unless the weather messes them up they're done in a little more than 1 day. I believe they generally want 700-800 quarts of eggs. If you've never seen it, I think it's well worth the 15-20 minutes it takes to check it out. 

gunner55
3 hours ago, smurfy said:

:wacko: there's always a van with iowa plates there!!!!!!😖😁

back on topic..........i'd love to watch that some day!!!!!!! 

Must be someone else after your girl then :P as we're usually got an Escape, unless Mom's with us.😀

PRO-V

Buddy said the run is done. Got their quota in three days.

• Thumbs Up 3
smurfy

Looks like I missed the boat again!

ProV I'll be in your town next week.😉

• Thumbs Up 1
gunner55
9 hours ago, smurfy said:

Yeah, better lock your doors.;)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Confused 1
smurfy
3 hours ago, gunner55 said:

Yeah, better lock your doors.;)

😖:wacko: hey now!!!!!!!!!! why all the hate!!!!!!!!:P

gunner55

Talked to a couple who have a place on Little Cutfoot at Aldi's in GR today. They said their ice went out Thursday, the nets went in Friday, & they started & finished taking spawn on Monday. They said it'll be the 1st year in the last 4 where they can actually fish in front of their place on Opener as the last 3 it has still been closed from there to Williams Narrows because of the late ice & all the big fish still in there.

PRO-V
On 4/30/2019 at 9:49 PM, smurfy said:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1
smurfy
1 hour ago, PRO-V said:

:blink::D

• 1 year later...
gunner55

They were there yesterday afternoon when we came back to the lake. I'm not sure they were running yet as there wasn't anybody down at the water. It was a cold,  wet, nasty day though. Gates were closed & had a sign on it, no visitors this season in order to follow CV-19 protocols.

• Thumbs Up 1
gunner55

Still there today, 2 boats in the water along with at least 2 vehicles. Usually they're done in 2-3 days so I'm not sure if the weather delayed them or if since it didn't happen last season they are taking more.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  On the lake, the focus is on the May 15, 2021 Fishing Opener for walleyes.  There is much optimism as fishing in the Rainy River this spring was excellent and reports of good fishing from the spring season on the lake was also good.
      The limit for walleyes and saugers during the open season is a combined limit of six fish, up to four of the six can be walleyes.  There is a slot limit in which all walleyes 19.5 - 28.0 inches must be released.  One can be kept over 28 inches.  
      Pike anglers are still catching fish in back bays. The pike season is open year-round on LOW and the Rainy River.    
      On the Rainy River...   Sturgeon anglers are enjoying catch and release through 5/15/21.  Closed 5/16/21 - 6/30/21.  Harvest season opens up again on 7/1/21 - 9/30/21.
      Good numbers of sturgeon have been running in the Rapid River near Clementson just east of Baudette this past week.  These fish are incredible to see up close, but are also very much protected and respected.
      Anglers looking to this weekend and the opener.  Typically, there is some good walleye fishing in the river early in the season, such as this weekend.
      Up at the NW Angle...  A few anglers fishing pike in back bays but most looking forward to the May 15th fishing opener.  The go to walleye spots come the opener will be shoreline and island structure and underwater points.  The technique, a jig and a minnow!
      With the Canada border still closed, there are many ways to get up to the Angle.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• MNwild21
      By MNwild21
      I will be in the area camping in a couple of weeks. Wondering if these two lakes are any good for shore fishing for kids. Been trying to do research but there hasn't been much update on the lakes! Would love to catch a few trout for the kids to enjoy. Any tip/advice would be great thanks!!
    • Mata Eveleth
      By Mata Eveleth
      Illegal entry into CANADA. If you fish the boundary waters Minnesota and Canada. and you usually cross imaginary boundary between Canada and Minnesota DO NOT DO THAT THIS YEAR. I am goin go trip to Crane Lake 22nd-29th of May 2021. Looked into buying non resident 8 day to cross boundary to fish in Canada have been doing it for years. Well if you cross that boundary today your truck, boat, trailer will be confiscated and you and anyone else in boat with will be detained. Also there are HUGE fines with this criminal entry illegal entry into Canada. If you have your doubts you can call  U.S. Border Patrol International Falls Minnesota at 218-285-3423 or the U.S. Customs and Border Protection International Falls Minnesota at 218-283-2541 and last Canada Border Services Agency...at 800-461-9999. There is no mention of this in Minnesota's DNR Fishing Regs for 2021. I am afraid there might be a lot of people unaware of this.. I was not until I did a little digging and made some phone calls.. ok be safe out there.. 
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Pike anglers catching fish in back bays. Deadbait on a quick strike rig under a bobber, spoons, spinnerbaits and crankbaits are the go to presentations.  The pike season is open year-round on LOW and the Rainy River.    
      The pike limit is 3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  Most practice catch and release with a nice photo on big fish, and there are a lot of big pike being caught.
      On the Rainy River...   Sturgeon anglers looking to keep a sturgeon have through May 7th.  After that catch and release kicks in again.  Catch and release 5/8/21 - 5/15/21.  Closed 5/16/21 - 6/30/21.  Harvest season, 7/1/21 - 9/30/21.
      A 3-5 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the most common setup.  
      Good numbers of fish, all size ranges, being caught.  Sturgeon have been active.
      Up at the NW Angle...  A few anglers fishing pike in back bays but most looking forward to the May 15th fishing opener.  The go to walleye spots come the opener will be shoreline and island structure and underwater points.  The technique, a jig and a minnow!
      With the Canada border still closed, there are many ways to get up to the Angle.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• CJH
      By CJH
      Anybody been out or heard any water temps on the Le Homme Dieu Chain?  The weather has been so up and down, kind of curious where they are at.  

Thanks much!!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Most attention right now is with sturgeon and pike with anglers looking forward to the May 15th walleye opener.  The pike season is open year-round on LOW and the Rainy River.  Backwater areas and back bays are all over LOW and the Rainy River and are where pike are being caught.  Deadbait on a quick strike rig under a bobber, spoons, spinnerbaits and crankbaits are all working.  
      The pike limit is 3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  Most practice catch and release with a nice photo on big fish, and there are a lot of big pike being caught.
      On the Rainy River...   Sturgeon fishing is in full swing and fishing is good.  Now through May 7th is the sturgeon harvest season (45-50", or over 75")  Catch and release 5/8/21 - 5/15/21.  Closed 5/16/21 - 6/30/21.  Harvest season, 7/1/21 - 9/30/21.
      A 3-5 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the ticket.  Local bait shops / resorts have rigs and bait available.
      Find a deeper spot or hole in a stretch of the river, anchor up and still fish the bottom.  Your bait sends a scent trail the sturgeon will find!  Some huge sturgeon being caught in excess of 70 inches.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  The NW Angle is ice free and everyone is looking forward to the May 15th fishing opener.  There are many ways to access Angle resorts.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  A complete list of lodging and fishing packages available in Baudette, on the Rainy River, around Lake of the Woods and up at the NW Angle at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Lake of the Woods is ice free!  Walleye anglers are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener on May 15th.  Based on the big fish in the Rainy River this spring, there is a lot of excitement!
      The pike season is open year-round on LOW and the Rainy River.  Backwater areas and back bays are where pike spawning activity is taking place.  The pike limit is 3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  Most practice catch and release with a nice photo on big fish, and there are a lot of big pike being caught.
      On the Rainy River...   The spring walleye season closed with good success.  Despite varying clarity and some spring rains pushing debris into the water, hearty walleye anglers still pulled some very good fish last week.  Now looking toward the walleye opener.  
      Sturgeon fishing this past week was excellent.  Sturgeon of all sizes being caught which bodes well for the health of the fishery which is very strong.  Sturgeon catch and release season through 4/23/21.  Keep season 4/24/21 - 5/7/21, (45-50", or over 75")  Catch and release 5/8/21 - 5/15/21.  Closed 5/16/21 - 6/30/21.  Harvest season, 7/1/21 - 9/30/21.
      A 4-6 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the ticket.  Local bait shops / resorts have rigs and bait available.
      Find a deeper spot or hole in a stretch of the river, anchor up and still fish the bottom.  Your bait sends a scent trail the sturgeon will find!
      Up at the NW Angle...  The NW Angle is ice free and everyone is looking forward to the May 15th fishing opener.  There are many ways to access Angle resorts.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• BigTrucka
      By BigTrucka
      Hey all, just moved back to MN where I grew up after living in the PNW for a long while. I became addicted to fishing rivers and streams out there and have started to check out the offerings in the NW section of the state as of yesterday’s opener. Wondering if anyone has experience in this area and can give me some pointers or just tell me if I’m wasting my time since that’s what I’m wondering right now since I didn’t find any signs of fish. I’m using a spinning rod with Mepp’s and Panther Martin style spinners and went through a bunch of color combos. I started yesterday morning at the Clearwater River in western Beltrami County essentially on the border with Clearwater County where the state has some land and a pretty lengthy easement. Probably a well known area. Beautiful area to walk through. Found multiple holes, but yeah no fish at all. I waded for a bit and decided to leave. I went south since I live closer to Moorhead and stopped at Felton Creek. I’ve read a DNR study about this creek having a decreasing population of fish, but it’s still considered a trout stream although not “designated”. I understand the channelization of creeks in this region ruined fish habitat over the last 100 years, but still find some DNR material as of the last 5 years that reference Felton Creek as a spot for trout. Walked the stream for a bit before I left and headed to Lawndale Creek south of Barnesville. I waded through the AMA on the Atherton WMA expecting to find some brook trout since the DNR has stocked it as of at least 2017. Nothing through the entire stretch besides frogs and minnows. Are there actually fish in these places? The Clearwater and Lawndale are designated trout streams. The Clearwater is stocked annually and Lawndale is supposed to have wild brook trout. Anyone have any experience in these spots? Should’ve just drove down MN200 & 71 to the obvious spots in Becker/Hubbard?
    • SkunkedAgain
      By SkunkedAgain
      Someone had to kick things off.

I caught some shrimp at the grocery store over the weekend. I'm hoping to see some spawning walleye this weekend. Who knows where they will be in a month when we are all allowed to actually fish for them!
    • Coleman
      By Coleman
      Has anyone been on the water of areas lakes?  Kinda curious what the water temps are hovering around?  
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Fish Head
      I don't think Cliff retired. Maybe he just cut back some.   
    • gimruis
      Absolutely.  Although they are technically considered a "rough fish" by the DNR, they play a critical role as a food source for many game fish.  In lakes and rivers that lack tulibees, they are often the top forage for muskies too.  Additionally, they are native to our state whereas the carp species which look similar, are not.
    • SkunkedAgain
      Thanks, I definitely will check those guys out.
    • SkunkedAgain
      I remember counting just shy of 50 boats in Black Bay around Memorial Day last weekend. It's more than I've ever seen even at Fishing Opener when the spawn is timed perfectly.   What I love about Black Bay is that once the walleye and crappie runs finish up in the spring, the fishing pressure calms way down.
    • DonkeyHodey
      Brag Alert***:  Got a PB white sucker.  With tail pinched it was just at 26 inches.   1.)  This Fish is almost certainly a post spawn female (she was pretty flattened out in the egg section).  probably 20-30 years old (maybe more). 2.)  A big fish drops ~10,000 eggs per spawn (give or take 5000).  With that said, this lovely lady has probably (through her babies) directly provided >200,000 fish meals for the predatory fish (and birds) in the river. 3.)  Many of her offspring will have grown up to spawn and continue the process;  If a mere 5 of her babies grew to spawn for 20 years then Statistically >1 million baby suckers will have come from her to feed the game fish in the Mississippi river!  However, playing the statistics/numbers game:  if ~0.1% of her babies grow to spawn and their babies (with a similar 0.1% chance) grow to spawn, you are looking at 100 million baby suckers descended from this one fish!   Next time you catch a nice plump Smallie or Wally in the river, realize that they grow and thrive because of "grocery getters" like this.    Preachy Alert***--Too many "fisherman" think these are trash fish and fail to recognize their critical role in a healthy fishery...  NEVER throw these on the shore! (notwithstanding the fact that it's also illegal...)
    • Rick
      Dry conditions mean very high fire danger persists in north-central and northeastern Minnesota. Spring outdoor recreation activity is increasing, and the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources urges outdoor enthusiasts to limit the use of campfires and use caution with off-road vehicles that could spark and start a wildfire. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Muskyhunter73
      Cliff was guiding last year. Did he retire this year?
    • Pat McGraw
      Getting so excited for 2021 walleye season!  
    • CigarGuy
      Ya, not much you can do about it. Still enough lake to get away from most of the crowds. My son and buddies will be all weekend, we'll be following each other around. They're were about 12 boats in Black Bay last night and didn't have to play bumper boats.
    • leech~~
      Might be able to do some shore fishing by the boat launch on near by Trout Lake as well.  Good Luck!  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.