• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

walleye walleye walleye walleye walleye walleye

Your late to the party. Like your title better though wink Yeah, somedays I think we should just rotenone every lake and just stock them with walleyes so everyone will be happier. Personally did have a blast when living out there fishing the kitties. Having said that, after the first 1,000 the thrill was gone and got a little monotonous grin Sure is a unique opportunity though.......

The posted article has a blatant error in the first couple lines:

In 1976, channel catfish were introduced to the Sauk River Chain of Lakes. That initial stocking involved putting 14,942 fingerlings into Horseshoe Lake.

The idea was to provide another quality sport fish for anglers to catch in the central part of the state.

I'll fix it here:

In 1976, channel catfish were introduced to the Sauk River Chain of Lakes. That initial stocking involved putting 14,942 fingerlings into Horseshoe Lake.

The idea was to provide another quality sport non walleye trash fish for anglers to catch in the central part of the state.

I guess the DNR does what the majoity of the fishermen and women want in the state. I enjoy fishing cats but if they are in 5 or 50 lakes, really makes no difference to me and I would guess, 99% of the population.

Seem's the catfish simply have not made it past a garbage fish status yet, until they do, noone will really care about them.

Walleyes are the king simply due to the fact these fish bring alot of revenue to the state business's. For me, panfish are just as important a specie as walleyes but the walleye is king.

bobbymalone, it's fun to fish for a fish that can actually fight and can sustain a population without millions of government tax dollars. I would take a day ice fishing cats on the chain over almost any other ice fishing experience. Plus, I catch a lot of those garbage walleyes out there while I am trying to catch channels.

I swear that a lot of walleye fisherman might as well just go to the DNR and pay them for fillets, as that is what it's all about for them.

If people practiced C&R on walleyes like people do with catfish we would have a walleye problem in this state, but instead its blaspheme to ever think about letting one go we have to keep and eat them all, then spend more money to stock them makes total sense.

The article should promote the fishery not call it a nusiance. I would support a larger bag, but this isn't the way to do it.

There are creative solutions that could work...

Most of you already know how I feel about the catfish smile

My only gripe is they are spreading throufh out the whole watershed. Lakes that are only connected by creeks when the water is high are being populated, or I should say over populated. For some reason the cats in the Sauk river system breed like wild fire.

Most of you already know how I feel about the catfish smile

My only gripe is they are spreading throufh out the whole watershed. Lakes that are only connected by creeks when the water is high are being populated, or I should say over populated. For some reason the cats in the Sauk river system breed like wild fire.

Hopefully the muskie in the chain start to feed on cats instead of walleye laugh

Quote:
Having said that, after the first 1,000 the thrill was gone and got a little monotonous grin Sure is a unique opportunity though.......

I know at least 6 different people that have property on and around the lake and they all hate the amount of channels cats in the lake. Go to a local bar and bring them up...I dare you!!

Why is it they taste so crappy out of there? and thats one of the main beefs I continually get. I have even cooked them myself for some of the folk.

Like it or not Walleye tourism dollars pay a lot of the bills.

Walleyes are the only fish worth fishing in the state and lunds are the only boats worth buying. UNLESS you've ever traveled outside your county/state ;-)

Hell- even the southern boys know cats are king.

Has anyone tasted these cats and liked them? Down south anywhere if you don't eat cats or bass you don't eat much fresh fish. Are they really that bad out of the chain? As far as them being bottom feeders they sure do like crank baits, more than carp and suckers anyway.

bobbymalone, it's fun to fish for a fish that can actually fight

I should have put some smiley faces in there wink

I havent personally eaten one out of there, but I have had catfish before albeit in a restaurant and I thought it was fine. I prefer walleye, perch, crappies, etc, but they were certainly edible.

I think the real reason people dont eat them is they have no clue how to clean them just like a burbot.

I think the muskies may help a bit, but there is no way they are going to be hurting the current size structure because the stocking of muskies were small fish. They should get big in a hurry though with all that forage.

Maybe they should have a big tourney in the winter out there like eelpout days. Make it a festival/drunk fest. Of course I wouldnt condone that, but you see how big eelpout is, you turn out something like that on the chain for cats, cook em up have people actually try them, show them how to clean them, etc then other management measures may work.

As it is now commercial netting may be the only solution.

They have put cats in other lakes and they havent flourished like they have there so there is definitely something with the Chain that bodes well for them.

I've eaten lots of cats down south,And from foot lake in Willmar,Mn. Big Kandiyohi lake south of willmar,Kettle river from Sandstone to the St.Croix,The Snake river from Grasston to the St.Croix,The Mn river.I lived down south,I could never learn why minnesotans don't like them.I grew up here and was taught they were trash fish.UNTILL I fished with a buddy in Southern california and ate them.Then Okla.,Missouri,Tx.Then here.My family said OH ISH!! then tried them and were like me.Why such a bad name??

Start out with a bad reputation it lives forever.The cats in the chain are excellent.If you can't cook fish that may be a problem!

Walleyes are in every mud hole in this state!!Time to diversify! Just because the walleye is the state fish doesn't make it the best all around.

BUT The northland mind set is tasteless fish over firm tasty fish with out scales.

Try something different get out of that rut!! So many lakes can and will hold them where the walleye cant survive on its own.

We must remember that the property owners and locals own the lake so whatever they want is fine with me.

Look no further then the Cattin the Chain thread here....gosh what a ghost town every year. Nobody cares about those filthy things.

I wonder how many walleye shows In Fisherman (and others) have filmed on the chain?

Like I said, a 10 bag limit and calling them nuisance fish will be no better than psssng into the wind.

The eelpout thing, while extreme, is on the right track I think. smile

A little Iowan exposure wouldn't hurt either.

We must remember that the property owners and locals own the lake so whatever they want is fine with me.

Look no further then the Cattin the Chain thread here....gosh what a ghost town every year. Nobody cares about those filthy things.

I wonder how many walleye shows In Fisherman (and others) have filmed on the chain?

Like I said, a 10 bag limit and calling them nuisance fish will be no better than psssng into the wind.

The eelpout thing, while extreme, is on the right track I think. smile

A little Iowan exposure wouldn't hurt either.

You know that Iowegian thing along with Kansas, Missouri,Okla,Illinois and Nebraska,and even further south could make for a excellant economey booster!

Plus keeping the Mn.river a little protected!

I have to put my two cents in on this subject! I love channel cats. I don't make it to the chain often though. If prepared properly, they are great! The bigger ones fight like hell too.

To prepare them, some people cut a gill to bleed them out immediately. Cut off the red belly meat, soak the fillets in milk or buttermilk in the refrigerator overnight. My favorite spice is lemon pepper with a batter of your choice. Guys! Channel cats are an awesome fish. I do understand they have exploded in the chain though. But they are a true game fish. This comes from a guy who loves c&r bass fishing the most, me. smile

If I fish for sunnys, I catch a cat and it breaks my line. If I fish for crappies, same thing. If I fish for eyes I usually get a cat instead. About the only fish I do not catch a cat when fishing is northerns.

Summary the cats are a problem. They really need to be thinned. I heard someone bring up a net idea. Then sell them down south and use the money to stock walleyes(probably not practical).

Cats are edible, but are not as good as any game fish.

Don

Typical to Minnesota we get a species that can thrive and naturally reproduce and that makes it unfashionable. How anyone thinks it is worthwhile to stock millions of walleye fry into lakes that have zero chance of establishing a naturally reproducing population rather than a species that can is beyond me.

Typical to Minnesota we get a species that can thrive and naturally reproduce and that makes it unfashionable. How anyone thinks it is worthwhile to stock millions of walleye fry into lakes that have zero chance of establishing a naturally reproducing population rather than a species that can is beyond me.

+1000

I grew up in Florida and have fished for everything from tuna, wahoo, cobia, sailfish, grouper, snapper ect. When I moved up here I never understood why people here like walleye so much. The food quality really isn't all that great(its just white flesh but has no flavor), the fight is generally non existent, and the expense to fish for them can get out of control quickly. If I am fishing for food I would rather eat sunfish and crappie over a walleye any day of the week. If I am fishing for a fight, pike, muskie, and bass are way more fun. I would much rather fish for bass, pike, and muskie on top water then jig or troll for walleye. I really just don't understand the attraction.

Yes, cats are fun to catch and give one a nice fight and for me OK as tablefare at best.

One can look at it many different way but it all comes down to the dollar and walleyes in Mn bring in the dollars and I would feel very safe in saying no catfish could ever bring in what a walleye does for revenue.

In Mn, fisher people want walleyes and not catfish so, the catfish will be considered a pest until that changes.

That's what the state looks at and as I posted before, it is what 99% of the people fishing in Mn want, not catfish.

Purplefloyd, they stock walleyes as that is what the majority have stated that they want, not cats.

I really like fishing for eyes but my favorite is gills and crappie and they are better tablefare over walleyes as far as I am concerned but again, I am in the minority.

Yes, cats are fun to catch and give one a nice fight and for me OK as tablefare at best.

One can look at it many different way but it all comes down to the dollar and walleyes in Mn bring in the dollars and I would feel very safe in saying no catfish could ever bring in what a walleye does for revenue.

In Mn, fisher people want walleyes and not catfish so, the catfish will be considered a pest until that changes.

That's what the state looks at and as I posted before, it is what 99% of the people fishing in Mn want, not catfish.

Purplefloyd, they stock walleyes as that is what the majority have stated that they want, not cats.

I really like fishing for eyes but my favorite is gills and crappie and they are better tablefare over walleyes as far as I am concerned but again, I am in the minority.

The broken record plays on. Walleye madness instead of refer madness.

The ice left my bay on the chain today....I thought "what the hell". I'll cast a few from shore...10 cats later, in twenty minutes....I think we can raise the limit...these things are EVERYWHERE!

The broken record plays on. Walleye madness instead of refer madness.

Why should we have to choose. Spark a spiff, backtroll a rig. Sounds like a good time.