• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Youth hunting

ChrisT

Hey guys, My dad was telling me that he talked to a game warden in our area and he said that youth do not have to choose a season. I am taking my 10 year old and according to him he can hunt during multiple seasons. I tried to find it in the regs and had no luck. Have you guys heard anything about it?

It's true. I checked again this morning. The license is good all season. I believe it also says all areas.

I was looking at the Regs for youth hunting and it says that kids must be a minimum of 12 years of age and have a firearms certificate in order to hunt. Is this right? Seems odd because you can take a 10 year old deer hunting.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

jt24,

I believe that requirement is for the special mentored youth hunt that require an application.

Borch is right. That's for a special mentored hunt.

I don't believe there is a minimum age for turkey hunting. They can purchase a tag over the counter that is good for any open area for the entire season.

What is the age cut off for this? The neighbor girl that I have brought turkey hunting just turned 17,I hope she could get this tag it would make it a lot easier with our schedules.

What is the age cut off for this? The neighbor girl that I have brought turkey hunting just turned 17,I hope she could get this tag it would make it a lot easier with our schedules.

Straight from the regs:

LICENSE REQUIREMENTS Licenses for the Spring Turkey Hunts are awarded in a computerized preference drawing for the A-C seasons. D-H season licenses can be purchased over the counter in mid-March. A turkey hunter with such a license is restricted to the WILD TURKEY PERMIT AREA and TIME PERIOD for which the license is issued. All youth 17 and younger may purchase a license which is valid for any area and valid for the entire season. Landowner permission is required for private agricultural land or posted land. Fall turkey season has no lottery and licenses can be purchased over the counter after August 1.

We were busy setting up a couple of blinds for my10 year old nephew to get a head start in as the rest of us hunt "D" season. Lots of sign, some gobbling has him all fired up to get out next week.

Really a good deal now with reduced cost licenses, adults about to assist the hunter and extended season for youth. It hasn't always been that way and it's great to see things move in this direction for the kids getting started.

My 17 year old daughter would like to go. She doesn't have a firearms safety certificate, is it required to purchase a license? I'll be with her the whole time. Also, can you buy a youth license any time during the season or do you have to get one before season opens?

smile

Thanx!

Hawgman, look into the apprentice hunting validation on the dnr website. She can go with a turkey license, apprentice license and under supervision of a licensed adult hunter. My bro in law did it before he got his gun safety cert. it's a good program to get people into hunting.

I'll be taking my 12 year old daughter for her 2nd season. I kind of blew for her last year, we saw so many turkeys in first 2 hours that when 7 jakes came into range I told her she could take one or wait for a tom. Regret!! She put the safety on and we watched those jakes walk. That was the last shot opportunity she had for the 2 days we had to hunt. We saw 35-40 birds that weekend, lots of hens and other birds off in the distance. This year she probably won't make that same decision. I won't suggest she pass if the same situation presents itself. I felt crappy for a long time after that.

I'm glad they changed the season for youth. With school and activities trying to get her out during a 5 day season was tuff.

Good luck!