• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Crestliner equipment Questions

analyzer

Question

I just bought a new crestliner 1850 sportfish and have a couple of questions.

First off, I'm a little disappointed with the knowledge of the person who gave me the walk around on my boat. He didn't seem very knowledgeable about my particular boat.

Anyway, the 1850 has a convertible bow, with an extra tall pedestal which comes up through a split floor. I have four air ride pedestal seats and they do not fit on the front pedestal. What am I suppose to do to the existing pedestal to fit it on the front bow pedestal? The walk-around guy didn't go over it with me, and it does not seem to be in the crestliner manual.

The walk around guy also mentioned he wouldn't trailer the boat a long distance with the full cover on it. He said it's likely to get loose in the wind and tear. Is that true or just an isolated case? What the hells the point in having a cover if I can't cover my boat for the road trip.

I also didn't realize you can't get the side cupboards open with the bench flipped down. I originally thought I wouldn't like the Alumicraft because you always had to flip those seats up to get at the live well; and with the crestliner, I thought if I were fishing I would always have the bench down anyway, so I would have direct access to the live well. But now I find I can't get to the side doors if the bench is down. Seems like a bad design.

I sure hope I don't have to get out a screw driver every time I want to put one of the seats on the front pedestal. This boat will be going back to the dealership faster than you can &*^*%(*^*%^(*.

I also have a VERY difficult time trying to pull the pin on my hinged tongue. Is that normal?

I'm wishin' I'd gone Alumicraft more n more already.

Please help.

Thanks.

regarding your boat cover, some covers are 'trailerable' they are designed for travel and usually cost more. you probably
got a 'storage cover'.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The 2 happiest days of boat ownership are, the day you buy the boat and the day you sell the boat.
Your not happy with your purchase. Go back to the dealership and talk to them.

on the cover.. i had a buddy buy a new boat, we right away took it to canada on a trip, he left the cover on for the ride... well we get up there and everywhere a tie-down was, rubbed the paint off the boat.. the straps were tight, just the slightest rubbing over distance will do damage..
Jim

Thanks for the cover response, I guess I won't cover it for the long haul. I don't mean to be negative; it's a beautiful boat. It's a little stressful to spend $24000 and you want to make sure you're making the right decision. There's a couple of design/functionality issues that seem stupid to me, that I hadn't noticed at the sportshow that bug me. But I'll get over it. When you try to buy fish AND ski, you don't necessarily get the best of either.

I still need help with that front pedestal, I know their are other crestliner owners out there who must be in the same boat (pun intended). I don't know if they were suppose to give me one seat that was not air ride, or if I'm suppose to take apart one of the air-ride pedestals to fit in the front one?

Anyone else have a tough time pulling the pin on their hinge tongue on a shorelander?

The front pedistal seat is likely a standard seat because your not supposed to motor with a person on an elevated front pedistal. I did not know this until I was confronted by a coast guard boat on the river.. I guess it is common sense if the water is not calm(was that day).

Happy easter.

Analyzer, I am picking up the same boat
on Wednesday. I noticed the driver's side
locker problem right away. It was a little
smaller than a standard rod locker anyway.
You said it all with the fish AND ski
comment!! The fishhawks were much more suited for my needs as a fisherman,whereas
the Sportfish is more the dual role with
less going for the serious fisherman.
On the cover thing, I was a little leary with seeing those snaps!! I will get mine
in for a real cover now. What motor did you
get?? I went with the one fifty Opti MERC
Is it Wednesday yet???!!!!

Analyzer...I bought the same exact boat it sounds like! Got a 140 Johnson 4 stroke with it. Some of my comments are the same as yours. I think it's a little bit of buyer remorse right now. One compaint that I had is the Rod holders in the passenger side ripped off as I unvelcrowed them. I'm going to talk to the dealer about that. Seems like a very poor design for that. I thought that you moved one of the air rides to the front, but haven't tried that yet.

I bought it for the family for all around usage. I think it was the best option for us. I just wish there was more storage space!

I would think any quality snap cover should have no problems with high speed trailering if it fits snug. I have owned only snap covers and it my opinion, they are the only way to go.

I have owned a Crestliner and they make a fine boat, but your comments are very typical. There is little or no storage and some of the designs are questionable at best. I am not knocking the boat, I think it is a great rig. As with anything, over time you will get used to the "features" of you current setup and will probably say its the best that you have ever owned.

In refernce to the seat post up front, call your dealer. They should have provided you with a seat setup that will accomodate that particular seat post.

First off, I'd like to say the boys at crystal pierce have been very nice and have addressed my concerns as well as they could.

I was mad because I didn't get my speed and temp with my depth finder. They're going to take care of that no problem. They're going to fix my broken seat. They're going to fix the three little tears in the vinyl. And I guess the whole seat-doesn't-fit-up front-thing was my fault. The salesman said the four seats separate from their air-ride pedestals between the plastic and the metal. I just have to push down on the plastic lever and separate the two. Then the seat will fit on the front extended pedestal.

Tumbleweed, I went with a 140 suzuki (same as a johnson, just different paint). I asked for something big enough to pull to adult skiers, but it remains to be seen. One of the crestliner dealerships (in shakopee) were trying to push the 150 merc opti and had a very nice custom bunk trailer. I've heard the opti's have a little scream to them and my buddy didn't like merc so I went a different direction. But you know how that goes, I'm sure there's someone who hates my motor. (probably me after awhile). I sure hope I'm not sorry for going less than the max, but a 175 would also call for hydraulic steering and the upgrade for everything would cost me $3000 more.

MrBig, I also noticed the rod holder sucked. The rivots are loose on mine too. And it only holds two rods anyway. I'm kinda wishin I'd gone with the tournament series and had the real rod locker. What size prop did they set you up with. They gave me a 23 pitch, and I bought a spare 21. I really wanted a 19 or 17, but they told me not to go that low.

I do have the snap on travel cover and it seems to fit tight, does that mean I'll be ok to travel with it... or should I not risk it.

Thanks for your responses

Anyone have feedback on that pin for the hinge tongue?

Thanks for the affirmation, web_1! That's a nice confidence boost.

As for the problems. They're really no big deal. I'm sure I'll love the boat. It's just post-purchase stress.

I could have had a 180 Trophy for the exact same money, and every time I have a problem with this boat, I'll be wondering if I made the right decision. But I'm certain if the other boat were in my garage right now, I'd have exactly the same emotions and wondering the same thing about the Alumacraft.

When I go to a movie like passion of the christ, I wonder what the hell I have to complain about. How many of you out there would love to have my 1850 in your garage, and wouldn't care about the piddly stuff I'm stressed about. Sorry. The only thing worse than a poor loser, is a poor winner. Or is that whiner.

Happy Hookin'

G.

Analyzer...on the prop -- now you've got me thinking! Sounds like I bought the same boat from the same dealer, except for the trailer. The prop they put on was a 21 pitch. I paid for a spare, and they gave me a 17 pitch, which I exchanged for a 19 pitch. Nobody there seemed to know what pitch I should be running, so now with your story, it seems there is a lot of confusion there. Now I guess I'll need to check AGAIN with them on what pitch is the best.

Good luck with the boat. If you want to email me directly, just send me a note at [email protected]. Maybe we can help eachother get the same answers from the same dealer!

Analyzer -

You should be fine with the sanp on cover. I had one on my old Superhawk and it traveled fine. A good friend also had the 1850 with snaps and he traveled extensively.

The Suzuki is a nice motor and you will very much enjoy the performance and quietness of that motor. I think the dealer was probably pushing the "other named black motor" becuase it was part of a package. Don't second guess your decison.

Do what I do, sit in the boat in the garage, have a beer and be thankful you have one to be sitting in. wink.gif I bet there are many things about your new boat that you love. Consider them and your attitude will flip flop 100%!!

I love my new Alumcraft. However when my Crestliner was in the garage, guess which one I loved then???

[This message has been edited by vikes40for60 (edited 04-13-2004).]

You should have no problem traveling with the cover on, I run a 202 TS and pull it about 30,000 miles a year with the cover on, make sure all the snaps are on though or they will tear out. The rod holder will also be covered under the 3 year warranty. The front pedestal should be a standard butt seat pedestal, that is the design on the bow conversion. As for the bench seat not clearing the rod locker in the down position. you are right about trying to get it all done with a fish and ski. I agree it is not the best design, but the bench is an add on option. that is why the rod locker does not clear. Other than a few inconveineces I think you will really like the sportfish.

Analyzer - You have a great rig. I do not own a Sportifhs but rather 1600 Angler. I made sure I had all the T's crossed and I's dotted before I signed. To me, sounds like you had alousy salesperson who needed to get rid of inventory.

But...Great rig..You'll love it even with the minor inconveniences. The snap cover will be perfect - just follow the other msg's as to making sure you snap everyone.
I got the Storage cover and I did nick up my boat after owning it for 2 months with a 6 hour haul. Needless to say, I do not travel with it on. I cover the boat at home if going to rain and outside or at a lodge, etc....

Have fun with the rig! Those are sacrifices with a fish and ski....That rig may be my next one too!

Could the people who have recently purchased and/or took possession of new Crestliners PLEASE comment on their experience with the dealerships and any service they have since had done. Especially include/describe the turn-around and response time you received in dealing with big to piddly sized issues. I want to purchase a Crestliner but would like honest opinions about the dealers you've dealt with if you are willing to give them. Please don't sugarcoat it for me. So far, I've felt more comfortable with the dealer in Rochester than in the Cities.

------------------
Life is too short to not go fishing today!

Hey guys, I'm feeling better. I just mounted 6 ram rod 2000 flush mounts in the gunnels and it looks great. I was terrified about drilling 1 3/8" holes in her, but it looks good.

I'm playing around with the idea of putting some pvc either in the back corners on the side padding, or on the back of the flip bench. I can stick rods and the net in there and it won't matter if the bench is up or down.

My seats work fine. They separate between the plastic and the metal pedestal. It seemed like they didn't at first but it was just a tight fit. I'm not real impressed with the plastic turn-stop mechanism, seems cheap and won't last.

The swing tongue works fine too, it was just really tight getting that pin out of there.

I really don't have anything to bitch about and am warming up quickly. You guys have alleviated my concerns.

As for dealerships. I went to the St. Paul boat show, and the Sportshow and talked with alot of different sales people. Their opinions vary greatly; you really have to make up your own mind on lots of different equipment.

My sales person was Gary (I won't say his last name) out of Maple Lake Crystal Pierce. He is also a guide, and has been a wealth of useful knowledge. I highly recommend him. He has listened to my concerns, upgraded equipment when I needed it, helped me when things weren't right. He's a good man. Crystal Pierce has been good in general. The delivery went off as scheduled, and except for my temp and speed sensors everything was correct. Their finance guy, Pete, was very nice and even recommended Twin city Co-op who had a 4.65% 15yr FIXED home equity loan. They are very cramped up there at Forest Lake though. Very tough to get in and out. I stopped in a couple times ahead of my delivery, and wasn't impressed with all the boats laying in the mud. They weren't on trailers yet; directly in the mud. But they did a very good job of cleaning them up and everyone is nice. I found a small nick in the vinyl and they gave me 20% off any murchandise I wanted. I loaded up.

I liked the R & R (I think that's what it was) out of shakopee/jordan down that way off 169. They seemed more interested in upselling their boats with better equipment, than trying to put cheapo trailers, cheapo locators, cheapo stereos, etc and doing more volume at lower prices like crystal pierce. CP did seem considerably lower than the rest. I suppose they get a better rate with all the boats they sell.

It's like the one guy said. Find a nearby local dealer who will take good care of you, and buy a boat from him. I don't really think it matters whether you buy Lund, Alumacraft, or Crestliner...They're all good boats.

Thanks for everyone's help.

MrBig, I'll let you know on the prop thing. I'm taking my boat out tomorrow, but I have to put a couple of hours of break-in on it before I open it up. But as soon as I know I'll get back to you. When do you pick yours up? I'm gonna guess that a 19 is probably gonna be the right prop for me, especially seeing as I bought a 21 and it came with a 23. Gary seemed convinced that the hustler was the way to go. The tech guy working the crestliner dealership in Cottage grove said they're crap. He did recommend aluminum, but said go with a bombadier...OMsomethingorother. He said he has a whole pile of hustlers on his desk (not the magazine) and he gets 6-8 mph more with other props. I'll let you know.

By the way, CP was giving away $1200 worth of Sams club or wallmart crap with their boats. I thought I would never use half of it, so I went with a weekend at Izaty's for 4! Two nights lodging, a round of golf for each of us, and a launch or Two all included. Should be fun. Gary also through in half a day of Guided Muskie fishing. What a guy!

Like the rest of you, I also have a 03' 1850 Sportfish and have had that post purchase feeling stated earlier. Here is just something else FYI on an old post. I had trouble with the hatch doors in the bow not being well supported. At 165lbs. the door would give quite a bit if you stood full foot on the door. Story short, Crestliner had the boat this winter and at no charge, re-supported the hatch doors.

Analyzer, I already picked up the boat a week ago. I just haven't had much time to play with it yet. I had a hard enough time getting it into the garage. Sounds like you're making some improvements--I'd like to see how the ram rod mounts worked. Any pictures to send?

I guess we both bought from Crystal Pierce, but I got my in Crystal from Tom ... He was very knowlegeable about the boats and didn't pressure me at all into buying. I'm making a list now of the little things, like the rod holders, and the prop, and then I'll go in and talk to him. I'm sure he'll take care of everything. I did get some conflicting info, which was:
- What pitch prop to get,
- That I didn't need a transom saver--the salesman said to trailer it with the motor on the bracket. The prep guy said no way, and the manual says not to do that.
- Breaking in the motor. The mechanic running the motors at the sportshow said to "run it like you stole it", but the prep guy and manual said to go with the recommended break-in in the manual.

On the rod lockers, since they are hinged in half, on mine you can open them half way when the bench is down, so you can get into them. Did you put your numbers on yet? I'm torn between putting them right along the top, above all the stripping, or under the big stripe. Under seems a little low to me.

All in all, I'm really excited to get on the water. I just need to sneak away and make it happen!

Again, if anyone wants to talk more about their Sportfish outside the forum, feel free to email me at [email protected].

Oh, and we went with the Izaty's package also! I had most of the junk they were giving away in the other packages. Won't be able to go until August, but it'll be a great weekend.

I pick my SportFish 1850 up at 11 am today!!
It will be getting wet within an hour of
that. I will report back on the walkthru
and it's initial maiden voyage. Analyzer,
I would also be interested in those ram
rod seet-ups. What a beautiful day!!!

GMan - If you like the dealer where your at, stick with it. I bought my Crestliner from Crystal Pierz in Forest Lake at the Boat show 2 years ago. Salesguy was OK, dealership was dirty, but the boat was ready within a week! No real complaints, just wasn't explained about the Cover being a travel cover and it knikced the boat pretty good. They would not repair.

Since, I have stored and serviced my boat @ R&R marine. I was disappointed with the service this year. I pick up my boat - put it in the garagae, charge my batteriesand the fuse is blown. Had to truck back down for them to put in a new fuse - all it did was cost me time. The sales guys @ R & R are good to deal with. All in all, R &R gets my vote over Crystal Pierz. The best Crystal Pierz would be in Crystal though. They do wheel and deal all the time, where R&R is pretty set on price unless they have inventory to move.

Good Luck

I spent quite a while trying to figure out where to mount those ram rod holders. I even put the top up to see how it would be trolling in inclement weather.

I'll let you know as soon as I try them out. I mounted them with sheet metal screws and it seems to be solid. The rear ones would have been difficult to back up with nylon nuts. If they pull out I'll have to try. I also put silicone under the plastic before I screwed it down. I thought that might help keep water out of my interior panels. Seems very solid, but I'll let you know. I'm leaving right now for a couple hours of breakin'. I've also heard both methods of break-in and will go the conservative route.

Mr. Big, I tried to email you at [email protected] and it came back undeliverable.

Had the boat out this evening. Wow. What a motor. Very quiet and started up quickly on the first try. I couldn't be happier at the moment. It was a rather boring outing, as I went 1500 rpms for 1/2 hour, 2500 for 15 minutes, and 1500 for another 15 minutes. I can't wait for my breakin to be over so I can check my prop pitch. I found non-ethyl gas at the citgo off 7th and century (120) in North St. Paul. Unfortunately it is only the premium grade, and I was instructed to run 87. Do you think I should run the premium anyway?

Boat trailered first wack, that was fun. There were half a dozen other guys out there with brand new boats and they all struggled at the landing. It felt good nailing it the first try. I'm sure it was just luck. I think most of them had their trailers in too deep and it was causing them trouble.

Happy Hookin'

G.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

analyzer, go ahead and run the 87 oct.
The unoxy is only recommended for vintage motors or for engines in storage.

Thanks for the report Analyzer. Sounds great! I'm not sure when I'll get out--just too many things going on right now. I don't know why the email didn't work. This one should -- [email protected]. Please try it when you have a chance. On the gas, I believe you're fine. The guy going over the boat said to use anything.

Did anyone tell you that there was a horn that goes off after your 10 hour break-in? The guy running the motor at the Sports Show told me that. But the guy going over the boat at delivery said he never heard of that. He also said to go 10-20 hours before changing oil. Hope that's ok too.

Well the maiden voyage is over with mixed
results. I found a bolt missing on the swim
ladder. The bilge area had some aluminum
shavings in from various installs of things
around the boat. The biggest thing was the
small leak from the hydraulic steering
fittings under the dash. I managed a couple
hours of break-in time. Very responsive
in the motor department and a smooth,dry
ride with the SportFish hull design. I
think this will be very doable in the dual
role of fish and ski. I will get back with
the service department's handling of the
couple issues noted.

Mrbig, the boat will warn you when you reach several hour milestones. You have to reset the system each time. It's in your owners manual. Something about that little red switch and pulling the clip and then pulling the switch in and out 3 times... I'll have to read it again.

Mrbig, the boat will warn you when you reach several hour milestones. You have to reset the system each time. It's in your owners manual. Something about that little red switch and pulling the clip and then pulling the switch in and out 3 times... I'll have to read it again.