• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Team 8 "Strut Busters"

sticknstring

I'm posting these pics for '57. What an incredible season you and your family has shared in the turkey woods this spring - congrats! Let me know which pics you'd like to submit for the photo contest and I can post them over there for you as well.

full-9397-45892-20140517_075402_resized.

full-9397-45893-20140518_101235_resized.

full-9397-45894-20140518_100853_resized.

full-9397-45896-20140518_122126_resized.

full-9397-45897-20140518_115503_resized.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sticknstring

• x1957x

• monstermoose78

• ANYFISH2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Sweet!

That bird it almost as big as your grandson. What a brute for his first bird!

I would gather that would beat almost all of us hunters's personal best bird. I know I don't have anything with 4 beards.

Congrats on a fantastic season for your whole family!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

That is awesome! Congrats!!

Suhweeeeet gobbler! Congrats to the grandson that shot the multi-bearded boar of a turkey. I wish to some day have that much beard on my own chin!

Wow, what a wonderful bird!

x1957x, congrates to you and all of your family this season, unbelievable season for you all. I couldn't be happier for all you.

Thank you for sharing.

I will post a story of the my grandson Jeffrey's hunt WHEN I GET MY COMPOSURE back with me!! I am still off the charts happy for that young man! He has no idea what he just done. But will years down the road. My son and I did a quick NWTF score, using their scoring method and we came up with a total score of almost (96 points)! That is after I had it weighed on a official weight scale and after being froze and parts of it hanging off the scale it still weighed a very good, 23.29 lb's. My scale said it weighed 25lb's at home,, I will keep everyone updated as it progresses.. Thanks to all of your kind thought's and I will let my grandson Jeffrey know for sure. x57x

Oh , and the first picture is of my buddy Robs bird. Never hunted turkey's and my son and I talked him into it. Very sceptical at first, BUT after that nice 22lb with a 9.25 inch beard he is hooked now! Thanks, x57x

Congrats to you , your buddy, and your grandson 57. Along with everything else those DSD decoys have been very kind to you this spring. You need to get some of that video of your grandson's bird on here.

Thanks 123fish, I am working on it, trying to get it loaded on to youtube and then on here. Its nice having the DSD's, wont say they played all the part in it though. I bought a new call this year that sounds abolutely phenomenal! It is a YellowHeart glass call. Every bird that was called in wanted that call!. We would switch up to a lil Heartbreaker box call or a Jackpot, or even a Widowmaker but they did not want to hear them. They would almost always talk back to the YellowHeart.

Great, looks like I'll be buying yet another call now! Never can have too many right?

LOL,, sticknstring! We went 6 for 6 using that call though and opposite sides of the state! They just like it for some reason. Just sounds so real and has such awesome volume and then get quite enough in early morning to do a little tree talk to. Just a good call!

The fawns did not see my blind or did not care, but momma picked out the blind before she came out into the field.She stomped her foot and me and blew a few times before jumping into the brush. I saw one hen turkey again today in the same spot and she did not have a tom or jake with her.full-12169-45946-busted.jpg

I am thinking I might need some more calls as well.

He looks almost as happy as grandpa! smile

Thanks to all for the kind words. Yes it is getting a full body mount and I am in the process of filling out the NWTF form to have it registered in the Eastern division. I also am in the process of getting the video on here but if you want to see it on Youtube you can but, i am trying to change it to (6 year old Jeffreys 1st mn turkey hunt 2014),,, ,,but right now it can be seen on you tube at (jeffrey's 1st mn. turkey hunt 2014). Once again thanks for the kind thoughts. Oh and the video is short but we literrally picked up the blind and turned it 180 deg., when he was at about 30-40 yards. He snuck in behind us and that was the only good way he could get my grandson a shot at him! THIS HAPPENED SO FAST WE COULD NOT EVEN GET THE VIDEO CAM OUT! My son did all the video with his camera phone while I was getting the shooting stick adjusted for jeffrey to make the shot!!! I am so proud of him and if my daughter (died at 25 unexpectadly) was still here she would be to!!!!!!57

Make sure to get pics posted of that mount when it's done!

Gorgeous morning out there today! Said the heck w/ the blind and went mobile w/ just the bow, a mouth call, and tom fan. Heard one bird on the roost a 1/2 mile away, and then silence until 6:50. A tom got fired up on the neighbors not far off the property line. I stuck the fan up behind me and gave some clucks and raked some leaves. He answered me, but wouldn't budge. He was on his strut zone and wasn't leaving. 15 min later, he went silent and I had to leave for work. It's sure an awesome time to spend in the woods right now w/ no bugs. Maybe tomorrow I'll get an opportunity.

Moose - you still hunting?

Tomorrow is my last day for the season. I am heading to the BWCA for a week with my old college buddies. I think the coyotes chased out the turkeys last Saturday night. I have only been seeing a hen every day. Today I had to get my stuff packed up and thing done for my wife. If I was not going to up north I would keep trying to hunt turkeys. Good Luck Stick

Well I had a solo tom gobbling in the moonlight this morning - really fired up. Got close as I dared and gave a few soft tree yelps. Nothing. A hen started cranking 300yds away, he pitched out, and away he went. Saw him strutting across the road at 6:30 heading the opposite direction. It's nice to have a bird to hunt, but it seems as if I'm merely a tree hugger this spring. I hope multi-state turkey tag soup is as good as I've heard!

I hope multi-state turkey tag soup is as good as I've heard!

I dont have the multi-state recipe yet but my single tag soup left a really bad taste in my mouth this year laugh

Oh the joys of turkey hunting, definitely some highs and lows.

Good Luck Stick!! I am all loaded up and all I need to do is hit up the local bait shop for as many pounds of leeches as he will sell me.

Hope your luck fishing was better than mine turkey hunting!

I've been in pursuit of an essentially un-killable bird the past week. He's been roosted in either 1 of 2 spots every morning, but no matter what I try or don't try - he always goes the other way. And that other way is different every day. Hunts like these really make you question your ability! He's got me at check. In a few days, he'll have me mated I'm afraid. The only thing positive is his spurs will be that much longer for next year!

Had the dirty dog at 35 yds this morning! No roost talk at all today. Aside from 4 deer, it was an unproductive hour and a half to start the day. I heard my first gobble at 7:00 as I was walking back to the truck. I dropped off the blind and the decoy and hustled towards him. I staked the fan up on an old logging rd and moved up 10 yds and hunkered down next to a tree. Gave a few soft clucks... nothing. Followed up w/ a short series of yelps... GOBBBLE! First time he's responded to a call all season. Soon as he did, I set the call down and grabbed the bow. It wasn't 5 minutes & I see his head bobbin' through the brush coming towards me. Finally I said under my breath. The thought barely left my brain when he locked up. He either saw me or didn't like my tail fan I had setup behind me. He putted a few times, spun around, & slowly walked off. Bummer! One more morning to pull off the upset...

Pretty quiet in here - everyone must be fishing or doing yard work eh? smile

Kudos for sticking it out till the bitter end Matt. Tough getting up so early day after day then putting in a full day at work huh?

1 day left, may the turkey karma smile upon you.

Queitly hunting through you stick.

Lots of respect for the effort you've put in. I hope you get a last minute opportunity.

Happy birthday Don! Wish I could've gotten that bird this morning to help you celebrate!

This is the latest I've ever chased birds around. Can't believe the season is nearing an end already. Seems like it was May 1st just a few weeks ago. It's been so gorgeous in the woods that it felt more like late-April than the end of May. The skeets are out full-force now, but the lure of the gobble keeps bringing me back for more. Is there a better sound in the world?

Can't believe the season is nearing an end already. Seems like it was May 1st just a few weeks ago. It's been so gorgeous in the woods that it felt more like late-April than the end of May. ... but the lure of the gobble keeps bringing me back for more. Is there a better sound in the world?

I hear ya. Was just a little disappointed my MN bird came so easily and early. A few more days afield would have been a bonus. Good luck tomorrow.

Just a thought, but if you can get out in the evening, I shot my bird last year on the last night of the season by setting up right under his roost. He came in with just minutes left in the season. Just a thought...

Yep, tried & proven strategy right there. Just about pulled it off during the first week of May on a different property. If he was roosting in the same tree each night, I'd certainly be up for it. We'll see where he's at in the morning.

Good Luck Matt. Still seeing toms strutting for the girls. So....close....