• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Team 8 "Strut Busters"

sticknstring

Yeah, supposed to be pretty windy this weekend. I was thinking about possibly heading back down next weekend myself

Yeah that's one of my big pet peeves of living out here, the stupid wind. I have until May 18, 2014 to get back out.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sticknstring

• x1957x

• monstermoose78

• ANYFISH2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Well it might be my year to get a turkey while in this contest. I will be out with the nephew tomorrow morning. I went out to my old mans and made one call and had 4 toms fire off in different directions. Then the hens started going crazy. I got out of there, because I did not want to spoke them. My nephew is 10 and he going to go crazy when he sees his first turkey coming in. I am pumped up for getting him out there, but morning cant come fast enough.

How did your nephew's hunt go '78? Hunting onditions have been pretty poor to say the least!

Things started good had them gobbling from the roast then the hens took over and never came our way. Around 9 we had a tom fire up but he was on the other side of the brook. He answered every call for until 11 us then nothing. We heard one other tom but he was a long ways off. We waited until 12 and called it a day. We had fun watching the ducks and geese landing in the pond. Had some sandhill cranes dancing around by the pond. My nephew said he had fun, even though we did not see a turkey.

Thank you!! I will try my best to add to the score for the team. However today I am pounding away on the old key board trying to finish up my finals week papers.

Tomorrow the nephew is trying again. I will be up after that. I hope I can put one down for the team.

Anyone know how to call them across a brook? We had multiple turkeys firing off at the same time across the brook, but my nephew could not take it and fell asleep. Tomorrow is my day and I will wait them toms out. I might try this afternoon as well.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Anyone know how to call them across a brook? We had multiple turkeys firing off at the same time across the brook, but my nephew could not take it and fell asleep. Tomorrow is my day and I will wait them toms out. I might try this afternoon as well.

We've had a lot of afternoon activity. So it's definitely worth the time.

sticknstring, did you start hunting yet? How about you moose?.. GOOD LUCK you guys! x57x

Yeah I made it out and went over to the Sand Dunes to see what going on somewhere other then my dad's. I heard a some hens but never go a gobble. Seeing I do not have a final tomorrow I will be out at the my dad's. It is just a matter of being there when the turkeys are. I know they come over into the clover patch, because I see their tracks on the pocket gophers mounds. It amazes me that a bird with such a tiny brain can make going nuts, but that is why it is fun.

I spent most of the day Friday and Saturday morning at my primary farm and got blanked. I saw 1 lone hen Friday and 2 jakes Sat morning. One distant gobble the entire time. Talked to the adjacent landowner and he said bird numbers are way down. After a brief walk in the woods, I believe him. No scratching or sign anywhere. I checked out a few spots closer to home this morning, but didn't locate any birds. Good thing it's a long season!

Do you guys have to pick an area you hunt when hunting with a bow? I think you do but just thought I would ask. Wright county, is that around the se. mn area somewhere sticknstring? Moose, I have a old friend that swears it dont really do alot of good to go early in the morning after a bunch of hens are done and bred. He swears by the 10am to 2pm time is the best to call a tom in. The hens are out sitting on eggs or making nests that time of day. I think you are on a good spot though. Gotta be there at the right time is all!

No, you don't have to specify an area with the archery license. You can hunt any zone between 5/1 - 5/29. Wright Co is just west of the Twin Cities and SE of St. Cloud.

Good luck stick and monster!! I confident you guys will figure them birds out in the next few weeks.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Out of our 6 birds this spring only 2 were shot in the morning and both of those were about 9 am. Still henned up early in the day around here.

My brother-in-law invited me out to a place he knew that was holding some birds last night. We were setup in separate blinds by 645. I had a hen come through at 715 and then a tom at 8. 30 yds was close as he got - didn't want anything to do w/ the decoys. I could hear him walking straight out and he popped out right by those taller pines on the right. Won't be able to get out for a few days, but I'll keep you guys updated.

full-9397-45483-20140506_184515_resized.

Thanks Hoyt - it won't be from lack of effort if I don't!

Good luck stick! It will happen. Sounds like you are in a good spot to.. 57

You guys out and about today Moose,,, sticknstring? Good luck to you both. Sounds like you really got into a good spot stick. Your buddy did his home work for sure.. Hopefully this weather stays good for you guys. Souns like wind in my area today and clouds but 70 for a high. 57

I will be headed out in a little bit. My plans is to hunt for them once they get done breeding the hens. Truck is packed up just giving it some time.

Good luck to you Moose. 10-2pm. is the time most hens are nesting then. Toms are on the move. Hope you connect bud...

I returned the favor and took my BIL out w/ me to my primary farm Saturday morning. Calm, clear, perfect morning. Heard a bird gobbling a half-mile away on the neighbors place, but all quiet on our property.

full-9397-45626-dscn0721.jpg

full-9397-45627-dscn0724.jpg

Called sparingly for a couple hours and finally spotted a hen in the field around 8am. Called her in w/ some cuts, but she was solo. 20 minutes after she wandered off, we spotted 2 birds in a different direction. Binocs up... red heads - we're in business! It was a pair of jakes that I had seen a few times already. With no toms spotted on this farm yet this year, we each nocked arrows.

full-9397-45628-dscn0726.jpg

They worked slow to the call, but once they saw the decoys, they started trotting in. We had planned to hunt separate blinds, but with the lack of birds we both sat together and combined our decoys. Two jakes, two hens, and a tom fan. I think it was a little more than those jakes bargained for and after coming into 15 yds, they backpedaled to 20 and held up investigating. It was a little farther than I was comfortable with with the recurve so I told Buck to shoot whenever he was ready. The lead bird folded w/ a perfect arrow while the 2nd one hung around for a bit. I proceeded to make a fool of myself and miss 3 times w/ the last one glancing off a sign into the timber! The bird had enough after that and ran off. grin I've had multiple birds killed from the same blind before, but never a true double. Maybe my tag wasn't meant to be punched that morning, who knows! This pic shows half our spread with Buck's bird down in the background and the sign I hit with my 3rd shot. I actually felt pretty good on the release of that one too. smile

full-9397-45629-dscn0730.jpg

We took some pics and headed home at 10 as we both had obligations to get to. It's been a tough season, but still great to be out in the woods. Hopefully I can get out a few more times yet before the season winds down. We need ideal weather for poults in the upcoming month or next year could be really bad.

full-9397-45630-dscn0735_2.jpg

full-9397-45631-dscn0740.jpg

I am going to head out for little bit today. I have been working on my honey due list all morning and just am finishing up. Nice work sticknstring.

my seasons done guys unless I can get out this next week I am eating turkey tag soup again. Sorry to disappoint just didn't work out for me this year. Good luck to the rest of you.

Nice! No shame in taking a jake with the bow.

I do not believe there is any shame in taking a Jake regardless of method. While I typically chose to pass on jakes, I chose not to condone those that kill one.

Bet you other forms of mortality far outpace hunter kill on jake turkeys between this April and next April when they would be a two year old gobbler.

Good luck today Moose! Let us know how it goes.

It's been a long time since I've shot a jaker, but with the way this season has gone and the unique situation present to double-up w/ my BIL, I was in shooting mode! It didn't work out, but I wouldn't have done it any other way. Except the shooting accuracy part! It kinda felt good to still have my tag on the walk out though. smile