• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Team 8 "Strut Busters"

sticknstring

Sweet story and picks stick. Sorry it didn't end with a bird on the ground for you, but the memories for your bil will be worth it. Great read! Good luck in MN.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sticknstring

• x1957x

• monstermoose78

• ANYFISH2

This the view of the decs soaking in the nice cold snow!! Turkeys are gobbing on the roost as I type. Hopefully they travel similar to what they have been, witb 15 mph wind and snow.

full-29934-44583-20140416_061443.jpg

Good luck to everyone else out today!!!

Cool - live action from the turkey blind! Good luck 'FISH! I saw some action this morning wishing I had an A tag. Going to be a long wait 'til May.

Well live play by play was the plan but then connection issues insued.

It was a short morning for me, woke up plenty early everything ready, blind set up, decoys ready to be deployed , just get dressed and go! Wrong!! Somehow I had misplaced my shells, needless to say 45 min later I find them. Now I am running late, get in the truck and strike off on my "20" minute drive. Well I find out quickly it was going to be longer, roads are carp, packed ice I was only able to drive 40mph. Moo

Not a good start, i was thinking I should have listened to my daughter and stayed home. See she was suppose to accompany me this morning but MCA testing nixed that plan, she would go out tomorrow instead and doesn't want me to get one today.

I finally get to the property and at 6:05, already getting light and legal shooting, quickly set up decoys hoping the turkeys weren't roosted to close by. Get comfortable and wait.

full-29934-44591-20140416_061443.jpg

Soon the turkeys began to gobble and cluck on the roost, they seemed far enough that I shouldnt have bothered them going in. They stayed on roost for much longer than this past weekend when they would fly down at 6:15. It is now 6:40 and I see the first bird hit the ground and another and another ect...

full-29934-44596-20140416_064546.jpg

This the first group.

Sorry pics stink all I had was the phone.

In the the group there appeared to be 5 males, the closest bird in the above pic is a tom, he was the first bird down from the roost. As soon as he landed I gave a loud call, thinking loud because of the wind, with the box call. He gobbles and begins to sprint towards me and the decoys. The other birds fly down and start making a racket, this gets his attention for a short bit. He then proceeds to walk and strut his way towards me. Only stopping occasionally to gobble and check out the rest of the group that are now working away and to the south.

Hes coming on his own, so I stay silent. He's now approaching at 50 yds, this may just workout! However, a group of 12 hens and working towards us and being quite vocal. This seems to lock him up at 40 yds. He seems unsure about what he wants, these talkative hens or these two birds spinning a circle in the wind. Trying to convice him, I call softly and then aggressively, this gets him to gobble and strut closer. Now he stops between 30-35 yds, and he stands there making me make a decision, upset the daughter or take a bird.

Now in real time this has only taken 8 minutes from the time he flew down. Is it too quick? I don't know but I don't have much for will power! So I shoot and I have now have my 3rd turkey!! At 6:53.

full-29934-44593-20140416_070055.jpg

22#14oz

5/8" left and right spurs

9 3\8" beard

Now to go buy the daughter a license and let her at them.

Thanks for reading, took me longer to type this than the hunt lasted!!

full-29934-44594-20140416_101601.jpg

These are the girls that tried to steal him.

full-29934-44595-20140416_065850.jpg

Congrats ANYFISH! Way to get it done in the snow and get our team on the board! You sure those spurs are only 3/8"??? We may need all the points we can get! smile

These are the girls that tried to steal him.

Dirty birds blush

Good call - SHOOT! Your daughter has weeks yet to get 'er done. Congrats!

Congrats ANYFISH! Way to get it done in the snow and get our team on the board! You sure those spurs are only 3/8"??? We may need all the points we can get! smile

I quess reading a tape measure has never been my strong suit, wife would agree after doing our laminate flooring! Looks as though their 5/8", right? eek

Rundrave, it certainly isn't me! I have been fortunate enough to gain access to the best section of land I know of in the area. It is all thanks to a couple of the best landowner/caretakers a hunter/friend could ask for.

Anyfish2, Great story and congrats on the nice bird. I know when it happens right away the 1st morning its bitter sweet,since your done.But still hunting that last hour on day 5 to get a bird is a real bummer. Your lucky that you'll still be out in the blind with your daughter. Best of luck to her. DrJ

sticknstring. My son got a tom today and my grandson Dillon(team5) got a 23.90 lb tom today also. My grandson Dalton( team 8) and I are left.He missed today at 30 yards on a nice longbeard his brother Dillon called in for him. Lots of talking but just not in the right spot TODAY!! Tomorrow is the connection date!

Hard to beat turkey hunting w/ the whole family! Sounds like you guys have a great spot - can't wait to see all the pics!

sticknstring,I am in with a dandy Tom.Nice beard, heavy body, and real good spurs. I got it early, and pictures,etc and weight will come soon. Dalton had 2 locked up just outside gun range and didnt commit. Going to take a small break and head to their afternoon strutting zone. Hopefully he connects then we are done at 4 for 4. How do you get pictures on here of a sd card and also have a few sweet ones from my phone I can e-mail etc.

Man, you guys are good! smile Congrats!

You'll have to get the pics off your sd card onto your computer. You can email or text me the pics and I'll get them posted for you.

I sent you a PM.

Way to go x1957x!! You guys are doing better than fantastic. Congrates!!! Can't wait to see pics.

anyfish. thanks alot to you and everyone on our team.What happend was my son and I was going out to hunt a strutting zone where we new they worked it. We had previously set up my double bull. Any ways we went in at 2:30 AND had 5 toms and one hen in there. Four at full srutt and the other tom at full strutt with the hen all by himself. We decided to walk back and not hunt there knowing that with the nicer weather coming we had a good chance at busting the big one the next morning.Couldnt have come early enough knowing that they were that night. with the clear night we decided to go in early and be real quite doing it.Set up my DSD decoys with the submisive being at 10 yards and the Jake right on her hot heals. Sat the feeder to the right of the blind and the upright to the left and slightly back farther than the others. The wait began. At about the 6:10am time my son made the comment that he hoped the jake dont move with the slight breeze. No sooner had he said that a slight gust turned the Jake to look like he was turning and walking away> What the ****. we are cursed! Birds already goobling and one directly below us! SO here is the idea I said to Matt.Lift the blind up and I will crawl out to it turn it and wet the o-ring to keep it solid. Do it and crawl back in to the blind. Meanwhile he had the one below us cutting him off. Sorry. running out of space and will finish on a part 2 coming in a bit!

Team 8,, my grandson Dalton on our team scored today and the info is on the way about his first tom. And very aggressive one at that! 4 for 4 for my family, myself, my son, and my grandson Dillon( on team 5) and my grandson Dalton on team !

Well I'll be, a sweep for team x1957x in season A .!!!! You guys clearly hunt hard, smart, and know your birds. I am more than impressed. Congratulations to all of you.

3 birds for "Strut Busters" all ready with 3 hunter with seasons left, looking good so far, keep up the good work guys.

Guys, here are x1957x's bird and his grandson Dalton's bird as well! Congrats guys! That makes 3 birds down so far!

full-9397-44714-20140418_070317.jpg

full-9397-44715-20140419_063640.jpg

(PART 2.) of my hunt story!!!! Anyways like I was saying, we had the one right below the hill cutting us off and having the issue with my decoy moving. I no sooner get in the blind and we can hear he is getting closer. Within 5 minutes he was in the back of the field on a trot and stop and strut that happend about every ten feet to close the 120 yard gap fast. COOL to say the least!! He got to about 35 yards and stopped put his head up and putted a couple times and walked in NERVOUS as all get out to get within bow range of about the 25 yards before the 100 grain muzzy with a Zwickey Scorpio arrow stop found its mark! The Mathews Helim with a 400 gold tip Very easily accomplised its misson! What an awsome hunt(first ever with a bow) to say the least. Owe it all to the good calling ability,s from my son Matt. Pictures are coming!! My story!!!!

I think it's just Moose & I left for OTC MN season right? A week to wait, the down time is killing me!

We're 3/4 so far with 2 of us left to hunt starting May 1st. Top 4 birds count so 1 of us will have to tag one to have a winning chance!

I am still hoping to try and get back out if the weather cooperates. My free days have either been really windy or rainy. I know that it shouldn't stop me but if I make the drive west again I would like to make it worth my while.

Yeah, supposed to be pretty windy this weekend. I was thinking about possibly heading back down next weekend myself. Good luck if you make it back out rundrave.

Rundave still has time it sounds like, which is awsome.

Stick and monstermoose have MN archery season left , which is pretty much all of May.

I feel we have some birds left to see. We sure had a solid start.