• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I have hunted deer in the present day zone 169 area since 1984. I would say deer numbers seem down to about that of the mid-1980's. I have went deer-less for a couple years now which is unusual. As a deer hunter, I would like to see more deer when hunting but there are a few advantages I would like to point out.

The hunter competition on the public land I hunt has decreased dramatically. The high deer numbers of the early 90's was nice for seeing deer but the woods were full of hunters. I would say fewer hunter numbers translates into a more quality experience as you can concentrate on hunting the animal and not be as worried about other hunters in your stand or hunting area.

I also am seeing natural white cedar seedlings starting to take hold in the adjacent swamp I hunt. Some species in the forest are able to regenerate themselves with the lower deer numbers.

You have to really hunt these days which is why I like it so much. Getting a deer every year isn't a given anymore. You have to really know your area and how the deer use it.

I would say however that there are more deer than it seems. Last summer, I kept trail cameras out from early June to November in the same spot in a remote wooded area of 169. Several deer, including 2 nice bucks, were periodically caught on camera but where not seen during the hunting season. Interesting, most deer on camera were moving at night even in mid-summer before any hunting season. Are deer turning more nocturnal? I did not capture one fawn last year on camera telling me last years fawn crop failed.

Deer numbers will ebb and flow. The recovery of zone 169 area after the mid-nighties crash was impressive. Within about 3 years after the 1996 and 1997 winters our camp was shooting just as many deer as we were in the early 90's.

There are some positives of these times with low deer numbers, I try to enjoy and don't let my hunting season be dependent on how many deer you see or don't see. Some years the deer populations will be higher and some years lower. I figure that is what hunting is about.

I just want to say that this has to be one of the better posts I have seen on here in a while.

It seems like the folks that where shooting as many does as they could during the years of high deer numbers, are the first ones complaining of the low deer numbers. Folks seem to forget that in MN there is a big wild card regarding the deer numbers and it's called winter and it is the number one dictator of deer numbers.

I have always done my rifle hunting in northeast Minnesota, on public land. I have grown accustom to not seeing many deer while hunting a lot of years. During the mid 2000's, heard was up and I seen more deer.

One thing I have noticed as a benefit to lower deer number is I see more rut activity(closer buck to doe ratio). I love seeing/hearing rut action happening while I am hunting. Even when a shot opportunities do not present themselves( which happens more to me than actually getting a shot off).

I just love how you are actually pointing out some positives in all of this, when many are crying "the sky is falling". I especially like how you pointed out that you are noticing white cedars seedlings are able to take hold with fewer deer around. In my opinion it takes a person that is very aware of the natural balance of things to notice this.

Great post Bowfin!

Great write guys, been hunting the area, old 167, since 1972. Would of started in 1971 but that was the year the State closed the season, because of the, you guessed, no Buck law, liberal Does shot and the main culprit Old Man Winter. 1976 was the first year of Bucks only and Winters still go back and forth. We are blessed to have ample public land to spread out and to pursue our passion, and as you know we Hunt because we enjoy all the aspects of trying to outwit a Deer, each season has its own story !