• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Looking for a Yellow Lab Pup

rbs

Looking for a Yellow lab puppy. I want a male and I would like it as dark as I can get, I don't like the Ivory. Second choice would be a Silver Male. PM me here or email me ryan_becklund @ yahoo.com

Color of the dog should be way down on the list of priorities. Health clearances and good breeding should far outweigh the color. Fox reds and silvers are both bad choices followed closely by chocolates.

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion! I have owned chocolates, blacks,yellow and have red coming in the end of April. I do agree check out the parents and certifications as far as hips and eyes. If they all check out you should be good to go. I'm getting my red out of turkey creek labs in lake Benton. We already have one from them and he is outstanding. There is a thread already about turkey creek, and they have two litters down both yellow and reds. You can look at the parents and see they are well bred and put together. Full guarantee on all their dogs ..... They hunt believe me! Good luck and enjoy the search.l

Rbs, I've heard of good things from I believe diamond j kennels by diamond lake in kandiyohi county. There is also a guy north of Darwin who has Silver labs. Sorry I don't know the name I was only there with a friend to pick up his lab.

P.S. I'm right with ya in picking the gender and color you want. I myself am a shorthair guy and would hate to stare at a gray tick colored one for 10 plus years.

Once you go black you never go back..Really pick whatever color you like except silver, no such thing, only a marketing ploy.

Thanks for your opinions. I will check those kennels out also. I pick the color and the gender first. If the other things don't work out (hips, eyes,etc) the dog won't be looked at. Everyone has their ways and that is mine. First lab was a yellow, 2nd a chocolate and we are going back to a yellow again.

Diamond J has a litterof dark yellow/red born feb 4th with males still available I believe. I pick my male up next week from different litter.

It should be pretty easy to find a nicely bred yellow dog, as soon as you say I want a dark or light one then you paint yourself in a corner and base your decision on looks rather than performance, just like the breeder basing his breeding on color or a shade of color because it's alittle different and it sells. Health clearences are a must ALL of them, and do yourself a favor and try and buy a pup from parents that have some type of HT or FT titles, not 2 or 3 generations back but from the parents. Don't just look for kennels either almost all of the quality breedings come from hobby breeders that have a litter every so often and run FT and HT with there dogs..

Todd said it much more elegantly than me. You have to understand that when you breed for color rather than performance you are using far less of the gene pool. Breeders that breed for color are picking the two reddest dogs they can find to make red pups. Thus, caring only for the color and not the health or performance of the parents. If you do this for a few generations you get a beautiful red color and not much else.

I have seen some amazingly talented red labs and some that couldn't find a ham sandwich on a gym floor.

The only way I would by a Silver lab is if both parents are FC or MH. It will never happen. I have yet to see one pass a JH test. They were bred for color and not performance.

Chocolates are a dump shoot. My Master Hunter Chocolate took far more effort to get him to that level compared to my other dogs. The bad chocolates I have seen far out weigh the good ones. I wouldn't buy a pup from a Chocolate to Chocolate litter(the narrow gene pool thing).

Spend some time running AKC hunt tests and you will know were I am coming from.

Silvers are from a mutated Chocolate gene which is already a mutated black gene. They are not recognized by the AKC nor the LRC as a color. They can be registered as Chocolate. There is still much speculation as to if the dogs are truly pure labrador blood or if a cross was originally introduced to turn off (on?) one of the color genes. I read up on it a fews years ago and would need to refresh my memory on the whole silver debate. I can say I'd run like h3ll from a 'Silver' breeding though.

Good Luck!

Ken

I must suck at doing the chocolate-chocolate breeding. Could only get a QAA out of it. wink

You and Tim did well with her she's a very nice dog, but you have to admit it REALLY reduces the odds, much much easier to find a qaulity black litter and if that were not the case you would see alot more of them competing. I would love to have another one but I'm not willing to pay the extra price for reduced odds..

Completely agree Todd.

Little side story for future buyers. She was the 3rd pick out of our own litter. We both agreed on one but she had a blaze that we we weren't quite comfortable with. Dumb but that's what it was. Picked her mother based on nipple patterern matching grandma's. We went to pick B but both had a different B so decided to wait until one was left. First winning compromise of our marriage for me. Not holding my breath for #2.

To not completely hijack the thread, keep the story above in mind when struggling to find the absolute best pick in the litter. A well researched litter most likely has no bad pick. It just depends on what you do to bring out that potential. I have no experience with silvers and very little with yellows. If you're set on a specific color, be prepared to wait. It may take some time but someone out there has a great litter.

Quote:
Picked her mother based on nipple patterern matching grandma's

Now that's one I have never heard of, I'll have to keep that in mind next time to funny.

And I'll also add to this by saying don't be afraid of taking the left over, there is a long list of great FT dogs that nobody wanted.. Picking a puppy is really a [PoorWordUsage] shoot, best advise is pick the sex you want, reach in grab one and hope for the best..

Silvers are from a mutated Chocolate gene which is already a mutated black gene. They are not recognized by the AKC nor the LRC as a color. They can be registered as Chocolate. There is still much speculation as to if the dogs are truly pure labrador blood or if a cross was originally introduced to turn off (on?) one of the color genes. I read up on it a fews years ago and would need to refresh my memory on the whole silver debate. I can say I'd run like h3ll from a 'Silver' breeding though.

Good Luck!

Ken

I don't want to stir this up either, but I've also read that there may have been a Weimaraner thrown in to get the silver. I too would stay away from a silver breeder based on what has been said on here and other places about breeding for color...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice guys, I ended up getting a dark yellow male from up by Wadena. Seems to be pretty smart so far with it only being 10wks old. Can't wait till he gets older, potty training is not my favorite part of puppy training for sure!

Looking for a yellow lab male also. Won't be able to get until June or so. Anyone know of any good kennels around DL, Fargo, Fergus, etc? Thanks

[Please read forum rules before posting again. Thank You]

Check this site out. I know Dave and Jane personally as they live just a couple miles from me. He does a pretty good job with them from news I've heard.

Picking up our new lab on Sunday from KT British Kennels. After a lot of research / phone calls and meeting Kim, I am very comfortable getting the new member of our family from him.

Good luck in your search.....

Folke

Hey Brady, I have a great litter on the way, due about May 17 so pick-up would be sometime in mid July. Sire has passed 17 MH tests in a row and is a off spring of NFC AFC FC Five Star General Patton and has a great pedigree. He is a Black with Yellow factor. Damm is mine with 2 NFC's 3 FC and 2 MH's in her pedigree. She is Yellow and Yellow factor. Health clearances on both parents, Hips E ,Eyes C, Elbows N, EIC Clear, CNM Clear. These will Be some Great Pups!

PM me if you would like more info. I'm 20 Min south of T.C. Thanks