• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New Regs?

Red Miller

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CaptainMusky

• Bandersnatch

• Kyhl

• GravelBar

He is not trolling. It's tough to have his "tribe" only to have kept between 5/8ths and 3/4ths of the walleyes and not all of them......

So after reading this whole thread, here's what I've learned.

1. Hooking mortality of large walleyes in the summer is leaving us with a shortage of small walleyes.

2. Native netting has left US with a shortage of small walleyes even though their harvest has taken about 1/3 of the total harvest of the same size fish the anglers have taken.

3. Although DNR quotas were never grossly exceeded, they still remain credible ways of measuring and planning the harvest.

This is the general consensus, I'm not saying it makes sense, but it's my take on this.

1. Hooking mortality of large walleyes in the summer is leaving us with a shortage of small walleyes.

Thank you for stating it so clearly. Gave me a good chuckle.

So why would C&R work for every species except walleye?

Bass are mostly catch and release (self imposed) and now ML has an abundance of bass.

Musky are mostly catch and release (self imposed) and musky fishing is probably better than it ever has been all over the state.

Pike fishing is mostly C&R and pike don't seem to be in danger around the state.

What makes walleye so different?

Walleyes taste good! That's why they are different. I have yet to see almond crusted bass or musky in a restaurant.

Funny yes, but not the right deduction to make. The hooking mortality is a direct component into what the "safe harvest" is for hook and line anglers. Since the DNR has to take into account this factor, it means they need to be more conservative with the slots and other regs so as to not exceed the safe harvest level.

That is the point of 2 fish and you are done. Look at the hooking mortality numbers.

Under straight C&R the HM numbers are 3X the "allowable safe harvest".

Kyhl, if you haven't read it, you might find this study on hook mortality on Mille Lacs interesting: http://michapter54.com/pubfolder/PDF/Ree...ille%20Lacs.pdf

In 2003 and 2004 they studied 1,246 walleyes caught by fisherman on Mille Lacs. Hook mortality was estimated to be 0% in May, 3.5% in June, 12.2% in July-Aug and 2.6% in September. The study also concluded Mortality was

lowest when the water was cool, when fish were caught in shallow water, and when crankbaits were frequently used.

Even if people want to quibble with the stats, it's hard to deny hook-and-line fishing doesn't contribute to sizeable number of dead walleyes on the lake, particularly in the middle of summer.

As for why C&R works better for some species and not others, who knows. I don't know why shiners die so easy but fat heads don't, I just know I need to treat them differently if I want them to live.

Interesting take on the matter.

When did fishing to feed your family become a "privilege"?

I would say just about the time that the Sheep decided to let the government run their lives for them.

Did the N.A. bands go to court for Privileges?

But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

Kyhl, if you haven't read it, you might find this study on hook mortality on Mille Lacs interesting: http://michapter54.com/pubfolder/PDF/Ree...ille%20Lacs.pdf

In 2003 and 2004 they studied 1,246 walleyes caught by fisherman on Mille Lacs. Hook mortality was estimated to be 0% in May, 3.5% in June, 12.2% in July-Aug and 2.6% in September. The study also concluded Mortality was

lowest when the water was cool, when fish were caught in shallow water, and when crankbaits were frequently used.

Even if people want to quibble with the stats, it's hard to deny hook-and-line fishing doesn't contribute to sizeable number of dead walleyes on the lake, particularly in the middle of summer.

As for why C&R works better for some species and not others, who knows. I don't know why shiners die so easy but fat heads don't, I just know I need to treat them differently if I want them to live.

Yes, I am aware of hooking mortality and that it is a higher probablility in the warmer months. It is still less than 100% though.

I suppose there is an argument to make that after the 18th fish there is no difference in C&R in July and August than there is in the person that keeps two and is done.

Who in their right minds would push the people off the lake in May and June at night and not put any restriction on July during the day. Why would you keep people from accessing a renewable resource (the released walleyes in May and first part of June)and turn around an let them kill hundreds off them in July. The economy needs a boost so in my opinion offering released walleyes that will be just fine is the easiest and cheapest way to boost it. You can sit and argue about all these ideas that have positives and negatives all day, but if you don't even take advantage of the ones that are only positive why even bother with the rest. Good Luck

Walleyes taste good! That's why they are different. I have yet to see almond crusted bass or musky in a restaurant.

You did nothing but reinforce his point. He asked if CPR would help the walleye population (like it has clearly done with pike, smallmouths, and muskies) and you said nobody wants to release walleyes.

If it does come to stocking walleyes in Mille Lacs, it should be largely walleye anglers/tribes footing the bill. Muskie, bass, and trophy northern anglers have found a much more sustainable method of enjoying the fish we pursue.

after the news that the lake was in a terrible state I swore off walleye fishing on Mille Lacs. I live an hour from the lake and fished it often and love to spend time on the lake but how could I say I care about what's happening and in the same motion be fishing the hurting population?

I still haven't read why C&R works for some species and not others. And yes, I've seen deep water tiger musky fishing. You find them in deep water in the metro because of all the pleasure boat traffic. They are driven into deep holes and basins, 25'+, especially in the July heat with surface temps in the mid 70's. I'm not sure how that is any different than pulling up deep water eyes.

If you are fishing muskies in 25 feet plus of water you are NOT pulling them up from the bottom for one. The fish are suspended over deep water, not hugging the bottom like walleyes do. Much of the problems walleye have is because of being pulled up from the depths and not expelling their air bladder. They could potentially survive if someone knew how to do that with precision.

Kyhl, i dont disagree with much of what you say about perception of the need to keep what is caught (ie meat hunters). The reason I brought it up in the first place is to hopefully eliminate mortality of the walleyes (at least reduce) AND to focus on some of the larger fish which the DNR has been quite vocal on that there is an "overabundance of larger fish". What happens now is people go out there, catch 40 fish in a day trying to find their 2 18 to 20 inch fish while releasing 99% of what they caught because it was outside the slot, most being larger. Many of these fish die. I choose not to be part of that so I didnt fish there at all last year. Even if they are out there just for enjoyment they are killing fish.

Its easy to scoff at it because there are no other lakes in the state that are as tightly managed to a quota like Mille Lacs is so its quite easy to think nothing of it and go on your way.

Like you said, perception needs to change. People need to realize that though it may be awesome to catch numbers of fish like that it isnt doing any good.

Just using the stats from the referenced study if 12% of the fish die and say you caught 40, thats 5 fish (rounded up because you cannot have a fraction of a fish). So, which is doing more harm, catching 40 fish and releasing 38 or catching 2 and keeping both?

Luckily for the fish, I'm not that good at catching them in the mid summer months and am not able to boat 20+ eyes a day. laugh

My reality is that I focus on toothy fish closer to the surface during the summer months.

And yes, those tigers are on the bottom in 25FOW. You use a three way dropshot style rig or leadcore to get the lure down that far.

What if we mandated that everybody fishing Mille Lacs during the month of July be required drop 10 pounds of ice in the lake daily. This would help keep the water level higher and cooler. The cooler temps would drop the mortality rate!

What if we mandated that everybody fishing Mille Lacs during the month of July be required drop 10 pounds of ice in the lake daily. This would help keep the water level higher and cooler. The cooler temps would drop the mortality rate!

Brilliant! Now we're getting somewhere.

I think they would have to do extensive analysis on where the water came from that was used to create the ice. How cold the freezer was, what filtration was used, city vs well water, cube vs block, etc. This is a great idea. One I am sure they government could [PoorWordUsage] away millions of dollars investigating. :-)

And yes, those tigers are on the bottom in 25FOW. You use a three way dropshot style rig or leadcore to get the lure down that far.

Admitedly I know little about tiger muskies since I have only caught a couple, but in my experience with pure strain muskies they do not release well as water temps rise either.

Drop shotting for muskies eh? Now I have heard it all. Interesting tactic for sure.

This is a great idea!!! And maybe we could construct some sort of large umbrella to keep the sun from warming that water up for part of the summer too?!?! As a side effect we could avoid getting rained on out there as well.

What a horsepoop position the DNR has had to deal with treaty management and locals and statewide anglers. An impossible job.

Might be a dumb question but does the DNR take the tournaments into account with the quota? Here are the tournaments in the first month.

5/17- MTT

5/18- MTT

5/31- MTT

6/1- MTT

6/5- Walleye Extravaganza

6/6- Walleye Extravaganza

6/8- AIM

Seems like a lot.

What a horsepoop position the DNR has had to deal with treaty management and locals and statewide anglers. An impossible job.

And you just cant please everyone. It's a lose lose situation.

Might be a dumb question but does the DNR take the tournaments into account with the quota? Here are the tournaments in the first month.

5/17- MTT

5/18- MTT

5/31- MTT

6/1- MTT

6/5- Walleye Extravaganza

6/6- Walleye Extravaganza

6/8- AIM

Seems like a lot.

Great point, these tournaments should be canceled.

When I said I don't want to be told what to fish for I was referring to all the suggestions to learn how to catch bass and northerns and other species. Guys don't drive mustangs weird but I heard musky guys drive del sols.

I am quite sure there are also plenty of lakes with walleye in them you pass by on your way to the pond as well.

People act like this is the only lake in the state were one can fish eyes! Spend some time on the pond fishing trophy smallmouths, skis, pike etc. Fish the perch, hit the spring crappie bite etc. if your intent on patronizing area businesses.

Catch and keep your walleyes off another lake. Really that tough??

Umm! I fished ottertail, lotw, red lake, and lake vermillion, probably kept 15 to 20 walleyes could have kept more kept none out of mille lacs does this make me a" meat hoarder". And there are no walleye lakes on hwy 47 from st.francis to isle.

Also I think the biggest pushers of meat hoarding seem to be the dnr 10 northern 6 bass could have a hell of a fish fry for one days work.

I do not fish M/L very often and I really do not fish for eyes so a lot of this thread does not effect me. The only comment I would like to make is the post on C&R possibly hurting the resorts. It is starting to show up that alot of the Canadian resorts are C&R on fish that are not shore lunch and does not seem to hurt them and they have alot of big fish. Just a thought

They should have banned lead core crankbaiting is there any method worse for mortality than that especially when most of it is done in july and august. I'm suprised nobody has attacked tony roach on this forum if you use the dnrs hook mortality calculations he must have single handedly killed more walleyes than the natives.

So...let's answer this question, what's worse for the fishing industry: meat hunters or the CPRers?

Most meat hunters I know catch their limit and are done...most CPRers I know pound them all day long

Just food for thought...