• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New Regs?

Red Miller

side note: this night fishing ban, is it strictly for walleyes (so you could fish for northern or anything else in dark) or will the lake be completely closed to boats @ dark for any fishing and including pleasure boating also?

You can not be on the lake with any fishing equipment whatsoever during the ban hours.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CaptainMusky

• Bandersnatch

• Kyhl

• GravelBar

Survivall of the fittest. If food was the cause. Then why attack the problem through the elimination of predators?

It was just an example to show how more fry is not the cure all to Mille Lacs problems.

Why the elimination of predators? That is the theory they are going with right now. Are predators the problem with Mille Lacs Walleye? No one can say for sure.

Honestly I think the problem with Mille Lacs is twofold.

1. Too many large predators.

2. Zebra mussels are messing with the food chain. They are cleaning out the plankton before fish get a chance to eat, therefore, they starve to death.

This may get a little tin foil hatish, but I believe the DNR is going after the predators because the main problem of less food is not controllable. If the DNR were simply to say that the Zebra mussels are causing the problem and leave it at that, anglers, resort owners, etc. would cause an uproar because the DNR was doing nothing. By going after the predators, they can at least point to something they are doing to try to help the fishery.

That is my theory. Feel free to tear it apart as nothing is backed by solid facts and is simply my opinion on the ordeal.

I think your spot on. I simply dont get why promotion of a better spawn is not part of the plan.

DNR has and is losing respect due to your points. Tail wagging the dog. Politics and special interest rules them not science. Pretending its "science" is why the heat around the issue. My opinion of course.

So is Mille Lac soon to be a Sheepshead Paradise?

Interesting? (and look at the date)

Fish Feast on Zebra Mussels

By Will Mikell Article published August 27, 2001

Researchers in natural resources have found evidence of a natural predator that eats zebra mussels, the most aggressive of the exotic nuisance species that have invaded Lake Champlain, the Great Lakes and other inland waterways. The discovery was made on Lake Champlain by a team led by Mary Watzin, director of the Rubenstein Ecosystem Science Laboratory and associate professor in of natural resources.

Watzin’s crew, using a sophisticated underwater, remote-controlled vehicle, witnessed sheepshead fish using their powerful jaws to crush the mollusks. Most revealing was the sighting of a massive pile of crushed zebra mussel shells.

The researchers also saw yellow perch dining on the zebra mussels, but unlike the sheepshead, the perch were seen eating the mussels whole. The observations are prompting Watzin to look at other impacts of zebra mussels.

"We need to know what eating zebra mussels means to the overall nutrition of these fish," she said. Watzin previously has documented a slow growth rate in yellow perch in Lake Champlain. The increasing abundance of zebra mussels might exacerbate that problem, causing yellow perch to grow even slower, she said. That’s not good news if you’re an angler.

Further research is also underway to determine if both fish (sheepshead and yellow perch) are eating enough zebra mussels to serve as some kind of population control against the pesky mollusks.

I think your spot on. I simply dont get why promotion of a better spawn is not part of the plan.

DNR has and is losing respect due to your points. Tail wagging the dog. Politics and special interest rules them not science. Pretending its "science" is why the heat around the issue. My opinion of course.

The easy answer?

Mille Lac has Seventy Five Miles of shoreline for them to spawn (not counting mid-lake rock piles, reefs and island topography), and a limited number of netters.

Regardless of how much Sportfisherpersons hate gill nets, the DNR does not see them as an impediment to a successful spawning season at this time.

The DNR has already made the case that protecting he spawn is essential to the health of the fishery. (At least for state anglers)

I still dont get why hook and line anglers disrupt the spawn enough to close seasons but miles of gill nets blanketing prime spawning real estate does not impede the spawn. Have you seen when the band finds the fish? Those areas dont have a prayer!

If you think every mile of shoreline is conducive to spawning that is another topic all together.

The easy answer?

Mille Lac has Seventy Five Miles of shoreline for them to spawn (not counting mid-lake rock piles, reefs and island topography), and a limited number of netters.

Regardless of how much Sportfisherpersons hate gill nets, the DNR does not see them as an impediment to a successful spawning season at this time.

Huh? This takes the bacon for dumbest post of the thread! crazy

Limited number of netters? Have you ever been up there to witness the netting?

Huh? This takes the bacon for dumbest post of the thread! crazy

Limited number of netters? Have you ever been up there to witness the netting?

Why yes I have.

I have also been there Opening Weekend when the fish are still spawning.

But then I don't hear any "Sportsman" calling for delaying the opener every year that the males are still squirting either.

Wonder why that is.

good grief

the best walleye reproducing lake in the world

did its job till when ?????

till the nets took their toll

how much more black and white can it be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good grief

how much more black and white can it be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think your reading between the hook and lines again Gregg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a great idea!!! And maybe we could construct some sort of large umbrella to keep the sun from warming that water up for part of the summer too?!?! As a side effect we could avoid getting rained on out there as well.

"Welcome to 'The Mille Lac Dome'!! Two boats enter, one boat leaves! Two boats enter, one boat leaves!"

It was nice to see the bands lay off the moose hunt this past season. I thought that was a classy and sound move on their part. I am aware of the fact that they did not have to do that and appreciate the fact that they chose to cancel the hunt. Considering the current situation with the moose population, having both the dnr and the bands shut down the hunt was a positive collaboration in the name of the animal. It would be nice to see something similar occur for the next 2-3 years for Mille lacs walleye. The fishing pressure on Mille lacs for the past 2 years has been way down for the most part, for various reasons, including weather, ice conditions etc. I expect that the lake will be very quiet again this year for us in the hook and line crowd. I would hope that the bands would make the netting and spearing a mostly ceremonial event as well for the next few years. The lake needs a break in general and has had some good breaks recently in terms of limited pressure. For the sake of the lake, lets all give it a break!

It was nice to see the bands lay off the moose hunt this past season. I thought that was a classy and sound move on their part. I am aware of the fact that they did not have to do that and appreciate the fact that they chose to cancel the hunt. Considering the current situation with the moose population, having both the dnr and the bands shut down the hunt was a positive collaboration in the name of the animal. It would be nice to see something similar occur for the next 2-3 years for Mille lacs walleye. The fishing pressure on Mille lacs for the past 2 years has been way down for the most part, for various reasons, including weather, ice conditions etc. I expect that the lake will be very quiet again this year for us in the hook and line crowd. I would hope that the bands would make the netting and spearing a mostly ceremonial event as well for the next few years. The lake needs a break in general and has had some good breaks recently in terms of limited pressure. For the sake of the lake, lets all give it a break!

A pretty good take.

good grief

how much more black and white can it be

from what I've read it's not that spawning isn't successful, it's that the fry aren't making it to adulthood. Maybe those dang Natives are using special nets to catch all the fry, huh gregg?

I think your reading between the hook and lines again Gregg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont need to read between no lines

I fished it and lived it going to hec

you can try and make all excuses and analyze it till the cows come home

but unless you are wearing blinders its black and white

proof is in the pudding

I think it's about time they deleted this thread....

Why?

The DNR and the Bands are responsible for this mess.

They need to be held accountable for this debacle.

Wow this turned productive didn't it. The usual suspects dropping their arm chair sociologist rants. The racists and the misinformed spewing their usual nuggets of opinionated knowledge. I'm guilty as charged too. Sorry to those truly I offended. The others can "Suck it Trebek!"

Gravel, Willy F., Rum, etc. I am only trying to show the view from the other side. Those of you that truly don't like Natives and don't care of our plight than so be it. I can only state that we have some rights that are inherent and I get it that you are hurt over this. I make no apologies though. Our land, our lives, our children, our ceremonies, our language; what else can you take? That is all I am trying to convey guys.

Laportian, Nobody hates you. I sure don't! We have a strong disagreement on equality. I hope you live long and live stong! Have a happy and blessfull life.

"The DNR and the Bands are responsible for this mess.

They need to be held accountable for this debacle. "

Amen. Why isn't the band just as upset with their management? Two "nations"manage, both failed. Like it or not....at this point only one side seems to give a @$#%.

Why? Does it bother you? quit reading it then.
Because no value is being created by it. There was a brief attempt a few pages ago that quickly returned to finger pointing. Can't wait for a fisheries biologist to come on here and own everyone.

I dont need to read between no lines

I fished it and lived it going to hec

you can try and make all excuses and analyze it till the cows come home

but unless you are wearing blinders its black and white

proof is in the pudding

What happened the same time the nets went in?

The Slot. (plus all of the hooking mortality that goes along with it)

Of course people can feel free to paint over their binoculars and just leave a little pin hole on the lens so that all you can see is a gill net.

Agreed! The slot needs to be disposed of. Although useful on some lakes, it was (is) a disaster on this one.

I dont know if the slot needs to be disposed of entirely, just better attention paid to which size class of fish need to be harvested and which ones are continually harvested and can they handle it.

What happened the same time the nets went in?

The Slot. (plus all of the hooking mortality that goes along with it)

Of course people can feel free to paint over their binoculars and just leave a little pin hole on the lens so that all you can see is a gill net.

Are you suggesting that hooking mortality of larger fish is causing a depletion of smaller fish?

I would say so, If guys would use circle hooks there would not be as much hook mortality, plus deeper fish are the biggest problem. fish from 25-30ft of water in late summer are goners. No matter what.

Are you suggesting that hooking mortality of larger fish is causing a depletion of smaller fish?

Is the slot only for larger fish?

I always thought the 1 over 20" rule was the best slot for this lake.
I would support something like this as well. I think it would be far better to harvest some of the more plentiful large fish than try to harvest the smaller fish which seem to have a lower than expected population. To me this would help baitfish populations as well. At least in my head it makes sense. :-) It should also reduce the mortality numbers.

I would say so, If guys would use circle hooks there would not be as much hook mortality, plus deeper fish are the biggest problem. fish from 25-30ft of water in late summer are goners. No matter what.

Exactly! Of course there are always people that believe they are gods gift to C&R and the fish they release don't die and you will never convice them otherwise. I remember a few years back when there was a hot summer bite on the flats. I rode from my place on the SE corner out a few miles and I kid you not I saw 100's of dead fish floating (all 22-26 inchers) And this is just what I saw in my 100 foot path riding out. Now covert this to even a mile wide stretch and we are talking 1000"s. my first thought was tullubies which can be common during hot summers but no, they were ALL walleyes. Literally made me sick to my stomach. Had them washing up on my shore for weeks.