• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Chevrolet 5.7 liter vortec

Norsky

Question

I know this is a little of the fishing equipment subject, but since I pull my boat with my truck... I have a 97 chev silverado with the 5.7 liter vortec that has developed a loud clicking noise that changes with differing rpm changes. It completely goes away though after the truck has warmed up. It has also been using up about a 1/2 gallon of antifreeze with every oil change. Can anyone recommend a good shop in the south metro area??? I'm thinking about bringing it into the dealership but I know I won't get out of there for under $500.

14 answers to this question

What color is your oil when you change it? If it's milky white kind of, then your anti freeze is leaking somewhere into your engine. Just listened in on a conversation about it from a mechanic friend of mine. He basically said the same as Ole.

Good Luck!
MJ

I had a 97 also, I think the noise you are hearing is a check valve that sends the unburnt fuel back to the tank. I had a noise like a lifter and I brought it into the dealer and he did something under the hood and the noise went away, and then hooked it back up and the noise was back. The noise should go away when it is warmed up. Now the antifreeze problem well good luck.I have a 02 silveroldro now and I would take the 5.7 motor any day over this one. good luck minnesota mac

Marine_man: Try this for the clicking noise. Get a can of Seafoam available at most Auto Supply stores and follow the directions on the can. Your clicking may go away.

I have a 00 5.3L that has the clicking. GM says this is a normal knocking of the valve train until the motor warms and there is no need to worry and no fix required, at least on mine. I just think they can't fix it.

As far as the antifreeze, I'm guessing it's the waterpump bearing is going out if it's 1/2 gallon low in that short of a period. That may explain the clicking changing at different RPMs. It could be leaking through the seal, and running under the motor onto the truck frame, and you'd never see it on your garage floor, or burning off on the motor.

If it was the intake manifold, a simple vacuum test should show that, or if your transmission is acting funny, that's a good clue too, since it runs off the vacuum in the intake.

Ole and MJ are right on the other points. Once antifreeze hits the oil, it will froth, making it a milky white color, easily seen on the dipstick or in the drain pan.

I would THOUROUGHLY check that waterpump first. Mine was leaking about the same as yours at the seal, and I couldn't even see it on the pump housing. It was running along the framework, then drying up or blowing off when I drove it, so it never dripped.

Another thing you could try, is get a dye kit from an auto store. Use a black light, and it will make the dye glow wherever it's leaking.

------------------
Takin it easy! & if it’s easy, I’ll take it twice!

Norsky,
Do you park in a garage? If so do you see any evidence of anti-freeze on your floor? Hopefully you do!!! If not do you get a slightly sweet smell coming out of your exhaust pipe? Hopefully you don't!!! Do you have any water/anti-freeze on the end of your oil dipstick? Hopefully not!!!

There are only a few reasons you'd be loosing anti-freeze between oil changes, either it's leaking out of the radiator/engine/hose/water pump, or it's going into the engine. Could be a cracked head/cylinder or a bad head gasket.

Hopefully you just have a leak and it's not going into the engine, if you don't have a leak get it into someone ASAP because the $500 you mentioned will be a whole lot more if you scorch the cylinder walls of your engine.

Ole

Norsky,

I've got a 96 5.7 vortec as well...

A common problem that the 5.7L vortec's had was a leaky intake manifold gasket... when mine started to go (around 85,000 miles) I was loosing coolant, but no where near a 1/2 gallon per oil change... anyways, something to check

My pickup also clicks until it warms up.. for a while I thought it was in the belt (If I took the belt off and ran the pickup for a little bit it wouldn't do it), but am starting to think it might be a stuck lifter... although I'm not real sure... If you find out what it is I'd like to know....

marine_man

[This message has been edited by marine_man (edited 03-29-2004).]

SandMan --

-- You're right. It's a "non-problem" according to GM. I have an '00 5.3L doing the exact same thing. It was the first brand new vehicle I've ever purchased and when it started ticking on cold starts at 12K miles I was P.O'd about it to say the least. I screamed and hollered enough at the dealership and GM direct that they finally gave me a 100,000 mile warranty on the motor. It didn't fix the problem but gave me a little peace of mind anyway. I'll be trading it off as soon as it hits 100K.

I have an 01 Yukon XL 6.0L, I had the same ticking problem, when I asked the dealer I was told that the design of the motor included a reduction in the size of the piston and ring so the engine would start better when cold and when the piston and rings warmed, they would expand and the tick would quit.

Ole

I have a 99 with a vortec V6, Mine does the ticking noise also, but sometimes more sometime less, sometimes not at all. I really notice it when it rains or it is damp or humid out. Sometimes it is louder sometimes barely noticable. I also have gone through some coolent lately after I got a new water pump 6 months ago. The truck does not seem to shift smoothly sometimes and it is a automatic. Is this transmission, What do you all think. thanks AJ

Thanks for the tips everyone... I'll have to do some more diagnosing on this before I figure it out... I'll let you know if/when I come up with something...

marine_man

Roadrunner,
I thought I was the man that worked the deals, but I step down and bow to you. What dealer was it, or did the warranty come directly from GM?

------------------

I am a maintenance tech at work and we have a 98 Chev pickup for a shop truck. It too has the 5.7 liter. It started using anti-freeze a couple of years ago with no sign of a leak or getting into the oil. I sent back to the dealer under warranty and they could not find a problem so they sent it back to us. I kept track of the antifreeze usage and it varied from a pint to nothing in a week. Most of the time it was very minimal. Then a couple of months ago it lost more and a leak showed up from the front of the intake on the right side at the head. Also quite a bit of ticking started and worked to a clatter as it warmed up. I sent it back to the dealership with previous records and they wound up replacing the intake gasket and all the lifters. The truck had 50,000 miles on it. Even after arguing with them we wound up paying for it . I always thought that the 5.7 was a very reliable and trouble free motor until this . Then I heard that this was common. I think I'll stick with my Dodge trucks .

SandMan --

The warranty is direct from GM. GM has actually given a few of the warranties out, but you will need to make some noise to get it.

Thanks RR, maybe I'll give it a shot.

------------------