• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Vanek

fishing tech

Glad I was too young to remember that draft, kind of makes you sick to see Yzerman and Lafontaine just sitting there. sick

He turned down $50 million over 7 years from the Islanders.

Makes it pretty obvious he wants to sign with the Wild.....which would mean not signing any of these young kids to any long term big money deals which is fine by me....none of them warrant it with the exception of a few, Keumper and all the young Dmen...the forwards are a dime a dozen with all the college and Canadian Jr players North America pumps out every year IMO...along with the stable in Iowa. Biggest issue we need to avoid with Vanek right now is tampering!

Granlund and Nino warrant the consideration of future contracts for sure.

If they can make it work without strapping us down until he's almost 40, then sure I'm in. I don't want to be paying another 37yo $7mil a year. We already have two of those.

If we become saturated with large, expensive contracts, eventually one of them will go south and will be dragging the organization down for years to come.

OnaFly, You should check the amortization schedule on Parise's contract. The last several years are only 1 or 2 million against the cap. It appears those things were written very wisely.

His Cap hit is almost the same as Koivu.

OnaFly, You should check the amortization schedule on Parise's contract. The last several years are only 1 or 2 million against the cap. It appears those things were written very wisely.

His Cap hit is almost the same as Koivu.

You maybe right for the older contracts that were written before the current CBA. I do not think they can do that anymore.

And by the way we are still paying Mark Parish.. sick

Cap hit is calculated (total $)/(# years ). Per year terms only are nice for the owners. The GM could care less. They were always like this. Recently, the league ended the use of ridiculously long contracts where the player would obviously retire before the end of the contract and the yearly terms were severely diminished on the back end. This was a tool to circumvent the cap which is no longer allowed.

A simple Google search refutes what you say pertaining to parise's contract. Cap hit varies dramatically due to signing bonus being applied over multiple years.

Koivu's contract is not at all like this.no doubt this changed since the new CBA but it isn't a simple calc using total contract divided by years because signing bonus played a role too.

[PoorWordUsage], I was just going to include the link to the site I was referencing and the guy changed it. Now it is exactly as OnAFly was saying, but when I looked earlier the last 3 or 4 years of the deal were ranging from $1M to $3M. Now they are all equal except for the first 3 years.

Sorry if my explanation was poor.

The cap is calculated by adding up the total possible value of the contract divided by the # years in the contract. This is what I understand. This is what I see when I search it.

Here's Koivu's cap numbers (via capgeek):

full-28076-42279-koivucap.png

Regardless of what the guy makes each year, the cap hit is the same.

EDIT: You got me by 9 minutes!

Makes it pretty obvious he wants to sign with the Wild.....which would mean not signing any of these young kids to any long term big money deals which is fine by me....none of them warrant it with the exception of a few, Keumper and all the young Dmen...the forwards are a dime a dozen with all the college and Canadian Jr players North America pumps out every year IMO...along with the stable in Iowa. Biggest issue we need to avoid with Vanek right now is tampering!

I think we can sign Vanek and keep all the kids happy, not all of them are going to be super stars and they will all be signing those nice bridge contracts in the coming years where we get to pay them reasonable money while they earn their bigger long term deals. Then you kind of have to hope their big paydays don't kick in until some of the other big contracts come off the books. Cap might hurt for a couple years but I think Vanek is worth the risk.

Kind of drooling thinking about this, kind of looks like 2 first lines and two amazing first lines if nino and grandlund start reaching their potential.

Parise Koivue Nino

Vanek Grandlund Pommers

I looked earlier the last 3 or 4 years of the deal were ranging from $1M to $3M. Now they are all equal except for the first 3 years.

That was likely Parise's actual salary in $$$, cap hit will be 7.5 for life.

Edit: Found it, scroll down to see actual salary.

http://www.capgeek.com/player/773

Maybe I was looking at it crosseyed then? LOL the first time I saw it was on the small screen of my phone so it is entirely possible the display was funky. At least that is what I am rolling with. After turning 40 last Friday all bets are off on everything. Geez.

I think we sign Vanek and Miller. Harding or Backstrom gets the buy out. Done with Heatley and Parrish I believe and the cap goes up.

Backstrom can't be bought out to remove his cap hit. His contract was signed under the current CBA. Compliance buyouts were only applicable to co tracts signed under the previous CBA.

I still don't think we get another goalie unless its a backup.

• 2 weeks later...

With Tavares now out for the season after MCL injury yesterday vs Latvia insiders are saying Snow is even more motivated to trade Vanek by the March 5th Deadline. Sure would like to see us make a deal and the way Snow "deals" it may not take much...just a few youngsters and maybe a pick might land Vanek for our playoff run and then we can wrap him up with a long term deal as well. Plenty of options in the cupboard to shed without hurting the future and who knows about the future anyways, now is as good as time as any to "make a run" and Vanek might be the silver bullet!

It is going to be tough for Snow to get much for Vanek when there is a 90% chance he is coming to the Wild at the end of the season anyways.

Please no. Let's take top 4 defender if possible. Let the young guns grow into roles and throw Fozzy into the 2nd line, If it doesn't work, then lets look at additions. Our window isn't closing next year, be patient.

I'll take Vanek in the offseason so we don't have to give anything up for him. I think Fletcher already said he wants to keep our first rounder this year so that kind of takes us out of the game already.

UFA next year, Pens have a bit of a logjam of D-men. We have a need for D men and a couple extra forwards maybe. Fletch has ties with PIT, we're in different conferences. All good things for making a trade happen. grin

Well next year is kind of in my timeline for making something happen!!! Granlund looks ready, Brodin looked pretty good for a sophomore slump and Coyle/Nino are beastsin the making, Fontaine and Haula totally surprized me this year, Zucker is due, with all the experienced vets lets just win it already!