• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MN Spring turkey

Living_The_Dream

It happens MNHunter, 2 years ago had a 28 pack of toms at the bird feeder daily 0 hens or jakes really. Last winter 0 rarely saw a bird except it seemed they found a guys feeder a mile and a 1/2 away so you wonder if those were some of the ones who knows. Now this winter there's a 42 pack in the yard again, it just varies, they maneuver along, I knew they were coming this year as winter began, they were in combined corn across the road daily until about New Years day, then that next snow and drifting buried where they were feeding, so sure enough had 2 at the bird feeder then 34 then finally the works and 42 is the #, only 1 tom, a few very yearling jakes, the clincher is looking out the window right now at heavy wet snow up to 9" that will be freezing solid soon enough, that isn't good on those birds or the pheasants and cold well into March I hear, but these birds are tough for sure, doesn't hurt that they've eaten about 200 pounds out of my bird feeder lol, free fertilizer ! smile

This snow is really going to shrink the area they are in this weather. I still believe in the northern range of these birds,you are going to lose birds unless the bird feeders do the job.

So what are the dates for the different seasons for Turkey? I can't find it anywhere in the regs book, it just gives a spring turkey start date. I obviously missed the lottery, so what season is over the counter, and is the over the counter season still bow only? Thanks in advance for any info.

So what are the dates for the different seasons for Turkey? I can't find it anywhere in the regs book, it just gives a spring turkey start date. I obviously missed the lottery, so what season is over the counter, and is the over the counter season still bow only? Thanks in advance for any info.

A = April 16-20, B = April 21-25, C = April 26-30

D = May 1-5, E = May 6-10, F - May 11-15, G = May 16-22, H = May 23-29

It is not necessary to enter into the lottery for permits in the

time periods D - H they are available over the counter at ELS

Over the counter archery permits are good for the entire D - H time periods.

I'm feeding a flock that is growing, 48 birds in the batch and neighbor guy has about 60-80 in his batch, it's hard to say but doesn't seem like any have croaked, there were 42 forever, now 6 toms are in the mix, they fly where they want to go except they walk the gravel unless cars flush em. They are definitely tough and now with a 7:00AM sunrise they're to the feeders and silage socks by 7:10AM, must be a long night in the roost. And yes it takes a lot of birdseed I do the cracked corn/millet/blackoil seed and they mop it up like crazy and yes I think I've gone through 300 pounds already this winter, key is buy at it's lowest price whenever that is and I have 175 pounds left, geez lol that's getting to almost be too much, need a mild one next winter. Will be curious April 26th season C to see what the landscape looks like then.

Sounds like your turkeys are doing OK!

I went with the C season too.

I was not a fan of the deep snow of lasted years A season.

i hope for a slow melt. so the rivers dont flood my turkey areas. but the flooding pushes them off the river bottoms and makes it easier i feel like some time.

Seen a study from Pennslyvania(sp) that a study showed a turkey can survive up to two weeks without food. Yes it also showed turkeys are tough old birds,but losses do occur from harsh winters. How much?

I was not a fan of the deep snow of lasted years A season.

It wasn't bad as long as you tagged out by noon the first day. shocked

That was my hardest A seaon tag to fill it took 3 hours. grin

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

It wasn't bad as long as you tagged out by noon the first day. shocked

That was my hardest A seaon tag to fill it took 3 hours. grin

I was done in two the first day in A but only had driving freezing rain. I would have taken the snow! wink

Well, "B" season was no walk in the park last year either. Heavy snow the first night, took me till the last minute of the last day to fill my tag. THEN we got i6" of snow the first week of May to totally screw my WS season. frown We can only hope for a better spring this year.

Even though I am a mid-season MN turkey hunter, I am usually not too happy when I shoot a bird opening morning. I learn too much being out there. I guide my kids when the opportunity arises and try to hunt another state ever so often.

I would say almost 90% of the Minnesota birds I kill are on day 3 of my 5 day season. Exhaustion seems to take over on days 4 and 5. My decision making process gets foggy and my willingness to bail early becomes high.

2006Pictures002.jpg

One of my favorite day #3 birds. This guy was 3-4 year old Tom with a softball head. Followed him off the roost, down the ravine, across two swamps to the river. He came to me when his little hen had enough of him that morning.

Permits go on sale today. Wouldn't we all love to see this opening morning?

full-20096-43058-turkey.jpg

Hey, Is it illeagal to us a mechanical decoy like the new Mojo Shakin Jake Decoy in minnesota. I know it is illeagal to use a electronic call. Those new Mojo's are pretty darn nice and realistic to boot!!

Hey, Is it illeagal to us a mechanical decoy like the new Mojo Shakin Jake Decoy in minnesota. I know it is illeagal to use a electronic call. Those new Mojo's are pretty darn nice and realistic to boot!!

Also the use of a range finder is not allowed. This was pointed out at one of those Turkey clinics by the Game warden that attended it. This seams to me one of those laws that makes little sense. blue

No range finder lol, for the archery turkey hunters ? What ? Wouldn't that be a great teaching tool to use with youth hunters so they can actually learn another way to field judge distance, a big fluffed tom can appear closer than it maybe really is idk.

I believe the rangefinder law also applies to deer hunting. From what I understand, it's okay to range trees or rocks or decoys or....but not the actual animal.

I'm ready for this white stuff if it happens again. South dakota the snow was up to your waste in spots was very tough going. We did end up with our birds in the first 15 minutes after they flew out of roost. Come running to the calls no decoys. Had birds at 5 yards was a blast but a lot of work. Was not sure we would get any birds with how the weather was and all the snow we had to deal with.

SD2013001_zps78b5e291.jpg

SD2013008_zps61b486bd.jpg