• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thoughts?

Scott K

Quote:

Speaking Monday, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the league could eventually abolish the extra point.

"The extra point is almost automatic," Goodell said. "I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd. So it's a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play." Goodell said the league is intrigued by a proposal that would automatically grant seven points for every touchdown, but still allow teams to try for an eighth point via a traditional offensive play. The catch is that if you fail to convert, the touchdown then becomes worth only six points. Perhaps the most perfunctory play in sports, extra points serve almost no purpose at the professional level.

I dont like Goodell. The guy seems to want to mess with everything. Why cant they just leave it the way it is. It is already more popular than every other major sport combined. Leave it alone. Heard they want to add more playoff teams, mess with the preseason, move the goal post closer together. If they want to do anything they should move it back 10 more yards, and if they want to go for 2 leave it at the same spot.

I wouldn't mind them taking the kicking out of the extra point but I don't like the proposal of a touchdown being an automatic 7 points...keep it the same (6 points) and make the teams go for a 2 point conversion after every TD.

I say Keep the extra points that's how the game is supposed to be played.

What's next no kickoffs everyone just starts at the 20?

keep the extra point the way it is. This isn't the XFL or arena league. Seems Goodell won't be happy until he has the NFL looking like the WWE.

I think the majority of teams would forget about ever using the 2 point conversion. Even if it is close to the end of the game. How many coaches would take the risk of losing the guaranteed tie already up on the scoreboard. The decison making process of coaches will change. You already have the points on the board for a tie, you will not risk taking points off by not completing the 2 point conversion attempt. But currently when you score, you are a point down, you go through the decison of 1 point to tie or 2 to win, many coaches will opt to try for the two and the win.

It took years to get the NFL to be the same as high school and college and allow the 2 point... now they want to be 'different' then those levels again... No thanks

Good Luck!

Ken

I would like to see less field goal attempts. I hate watching games that they drive down to the 20 yard line, and it is 4th and 1 yard, and they kick a field goal. They really need to grow some balls and go for it more often, or make field goals a little harder to make. I have always said, take one of the posts down for the field goal, if they can hit the other one, they can have the 3 points. More teams will try a lot harder to score touchdowns then. Which I think will actually add excitement to the game. Inside of the 30 yard line, a field goal is almost a gimme. I would much rather see them try harder for the touchdown to begin with.

Inside of the 30 yard line, a field goal is almost a gimme. I would much rather see them try harder for the touchdown to begin with.

Gary Anderson

Prior to the merger of the AFC with the NFL, the NFL had no 2pt conversion it was kick, run, or pass it in for 1pt.

That being said: No field goals from the 20yd line in and you have to go for 2 on the conversion and leave TD at 6.

I enjoy the 1 pt. vs 2 pt...risk vs reward...cautious vs adventurous questions under the current system. I also enjoy the admittedly rare occasions when a defense can affect a "sure" thing with a blocked or rushed kick. Defense needs a little "shine" from time to time.

Maybe turn FG attempts within say they 20 yard line = 2 pts and outside the 20 3 pts or something like that. Kinda like a 3 pointer. :-)

I agree those FG attempts inside the 20 are pretty ridiculous.

They have been talking about eliminating kickoffs for years. So concerned about the injuries. Pretty soon we wont even have kickers.

If they could get rid of punters, then Kluwe wouldnt have a job, wait, he already is unemployed. lol

I say keep the extra point, kinda puts a period after each TD.

Gives a little break between TDs and the next kick off.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Put the foot back in football...For FG just give em a point for every ten yards from the goal line laugh

Goodells extra point rule looks good to me.

Limit...where is your logic coming from...may want to re-read the rule Goodell proposes. The effect is the same for a coach's decision and coaches only make the decision when they need 8 points on the board. So they have decide if the reward (8 pts) is worth the risk (6 pts) just like it is now.

The only thing that changes is you don't kick the extra point to get 7 points.

Limit...where is your logic coming from...may want to re-read the rule Goodell proposes. The effect is the same for a coach's decision and coaches only make the decision when they need 8 points on the board. So they have decide if the reward (8 pts) is worth the risk (6 pts) just like it is now.

Um, I never commented on this topic.

I think this rule change would be about as goofy as them wanting to make the goal posts closer together for field goals.

full-593-41591-states_ranked.png

Got ya covered, Rick. The elixir graph validates every statement. I think you were responding to my statement which I made based upon the blurb I heard on radio...not on the full explanation of the OP. Thank goodness for Limit's "magigraph".

There was a average of 2.38 TDs per game during regular season. I don't foresee the NFL giving up the income from 6 minutes of commercials so the length of game will be minimally shortened for the TV viewer. In the spirit of reducing automatic plays, NFL could also eliminate the "take a knee" plays & just call the game over upon a signal from the coach. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Given the NFL revenues, I'd have to say it ain't broke.

Thank goodness for Limit's "magigraph".

Apparently it's only magic to those who are ignorant of what it even represents. Or, perhaps they are just too cowardly and afraid to find out what it means because it will shine a light on how much they like to support failure.

Looking at you, hawg.

Apparently it's only magic to those who are ignorant of what it even represents. Or, perhaps they are just too cowardly and afraid to find out what it means because it will shine a light on how much they like to support failure.

Looking at you, hawg.

full-36938-41831-limit.png

So LMIT, when Johnny football fails, rather than continuing to support your going to jump off the bandwagon!! Are you still nursing injuries from the last leap?

Practice what you preach there big guy.