• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ladies and Gentleman... you got him!

LABS4ME

Sounds like George Edwards (Dolphins linebackers coach) is the front runner for DC. There have been a few reports that him and Turner will sign soon.

Quote:
Report: Vikings to hire George Edwards as defensive coordinator

Posted by Josh Alper on January 16, 2014, 9:49 AM EST

Edwards_George

The Vikings aren’t wasting much time filling out Mike Zimmer’s first staff.

Norv Turner is reportedly close to becoming their offensive coordinator and Alex Marvez of FOX Sports reports that Dolphins linebackers coach George Edwards is leaving his current job to be the defensive coordinator. A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that a deal is not done yet, however.

Edwards spent the 2003 season as the Redskins’ defensive coordinator under Steve Spurrier and had the same job with the Bills during the 2010 and 2011 seasons before being replaced by Dave Wannstedt before Chan Gailey’s final year as the head coach in Buffalo. This was his second season as the Dolphins’ linebackers coach and he also had a previous stint in that role from 2005 to 2009.

Edwards worked for Zimmer in Dallas for a couple of years before making the jump to Washington. Zimmer hasn’t said whether he’ll be calling the defenses in Minnesota, although that question will likely be asked during his introductory press conference on Friday morning.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FISHINGURU

• BuckSutherland

• zepman

• fishersofmen

Just watched a video of Zimmer cursing out his defense.

grin

I may have seen the same video you mention.

If that is how he gets worked up around a top ranked defense, just imagine what he is going to be like in Minny. The poor guy is going to be hoarse. Someone send a case of Ricola's to Winter Park!

If Ponder gets a dose of that he'll wet himself.

When I see Zimmer I think of the Honey Badger, and we all know that the Honey Badger doesn't give a .... He kinda looks like a Honey Badger too.

If Ponder gets a dose of that he'll wet himself.

Lets hope Blunder isn't around to find out lol.

He's still showing a weak arm, bad decisions, happy feet, locked on to one WR, and injury prone. Not sure if new coaching can even fix this guy.

He was supposed to be smart, cool under pressure, and a good decision maker, I dunno about you guys but I haven't seen much of that.

One of the biggest upsides to haveing Turner come into the mix is that he can mentor and coach up young QB's. He did it in Dallas with Aikman and in San Diego with Rivers. I kinda see Zimmer overseeing the offense, but spending most his attention on the defense. Bet there are some pretty wide eyes when he starts calling players out on their laziness!

They were talking on the news last night that when he does press conferences, they already figure to do a delay to catch all the f bombs and no-no words he likes to use!

I also wonder what Turner/Zimmer will think of Freeman in his offense. Turner likes to throw the deep ball...Freeman has always been known as a very good deep ball thrower.

Frazier going on the record now as not giving Freeman a "fair shot" at showing what he could really do while still praising him for the work he did with the Vikings.

I think this will be interesting to see how this plays out....

I am curious about that also, Turners style is aggressive and vertical, Freeman has a cannon and he's also pretty mobile for a big guy. "They" say he's a head case and a slacker in the past but he did have couple big seasons too.

Maybe a couple guys like Zimmer/Turner can get him on track and playing at a high level. If it comes down to it I'd rather take a look at him over Ponder. This is probably why Spielman kept Freeman on the roster even though Frazier wasn't using him.

One thing that any QB here gets to benefit from is having AP, none of them have taken much advantage of that besides Favre.

I would rather roll with Cassel than Freeman. Word is Freeman came in with a bad attitude was late to meetings etc. I hope both Freeman and Ponder are long gone before next season. I like Cassel on the team, not necessarily as the starter but I don't mind having him there as an option.

Well that's if Cassel even wants to be here.

Freeman didn't come here with a bad attitude or late to any meetings, that was in Tampa. All the reports from our team were good about him.

All the QB's on the roster will need to learn a new system so everything will be equal from that standpoint, will be interesting to see which QB they think fit their system the best, if that guy is even on the roster.

Just for heck of it, I went to bengals Facebook page. Lots of Bengal fans are bummed that Zimmer left so that sure sounds like a positive for the Vikes.

Just for heck of it, I went to bengals Facebook page. Lots of Bengal fans are bummed that Zimmer left so that sure sounds like a positive for the Vikes.

You would be bummed if you had Marvin Lewis too. Hopefully this will be like the time we kept Childress and let Tomlin go. I hope Zimmer works out for us like Tomlin has for Pittsburgh. Seems to be a good buzz about him, but being the head coach is much different than being coordinator.

Freeman didn't come here with a bad attitude or late to any meetings, that was in Tampa. All the reports from our team were good about him.

No they were saying on KFAN he was pulling the same stuff here which is a big part of the reason he wasn't getting playing time. Everyone kept asking why were we not playing him, that is why.

LOL KFAN

This is right from the horses mouth.

Frazier lauded Freeman's work ethic, saying he just got "lost in the shuffle."

"Josh did a lot of good things for us in that short time we had him," Frazier said. "Unfortunately it didn't work out. He worked as hard as he could every week trying to prepare and be ready to go. He's a pro in every sense of the word. But we made a decision to try to figure out what Christian Ponder was, and also take a look at Matt Cassel as well as we were trying to determine, get some questions answered regarding our quarterback position. Josh got caught up in the shuffle in that, it probably wasn't a fair situation for him, made it difficult for him, made it difficult for all of us as we were trying to evaluate the quarterback during an NFL season, that's not a wise thing. It was nothing to do with Josh, he prepared, worked as hard as he could to get on the field, just didnt work out."

Norv Turner is probably drooling over the opportunity to work with a QB like Freeman. He's the exact QB you would want if we were to select one in the draft this year...given Turners tendencies from the past. He likes big, strong armed QB's who can drive the ball down the field.

I don't know how the Freeman project will work out...very little information coming from Vikingland on his status. By all accounts, he seems to have been caught up in a coaches desire to keep his current job. But, I wouldn't be suprised at all to see the Vikes sign him to a new 2 year deal.

Freeman can play ball big time...he was obviously mis-used in Minnesota. Give Zimmer/Turner a chance to evaluate the situation and I think we already have our QB for next year. That doesn't mean we don't draft one...I'm thinking one of our 3rds will go towards a QB who had a season ending injury last year. I think Mettenberger or Murray with one of our 3rds....

Yes Freeman was misused in Minnesota. Do you think he was misused in Tampa too Zep? He was so bad they released him mid season.

That was more of not getting along with the coach, that's when he was having the "bad attitude" and being "late for meetings". Guess what happened to the coach and the GM in Tampa?

He was a Pro Bowler in 2010, regressed a bit in 2011, had a nice 2012 season, then came the bad 2013 with the run ins with the new coach that rubbed EVERYONE the wrong way.

He's still young and has played at a high level in the past, a new coach he respects and a QB friendly system from Turner could get him back to that Pro Bowl level.

Same goes for Cassel, he had the big year filling in for Brady with some good coaching and system,he also had a Pro Bowl season in 2010 with the Chiefs. With new coaching either one has a chance.

Does anyone think Blunder has the arm for any deep vertical passing game or to even drive the ball quick on screens and quick passes?

Blunder better be gone......that is all I'm saying about that. But I do think Freeman could perform with the right OC/HC I think Turner would know how to use his talents better. And with a deep threat like Patterson I think it could be a very good match.

I am pretty sure Ponder is gone. There isnt a coach in his right mind that would take on the job, if they knew Ponder was going to stay as their starting QB

Are you guys completely delusional on Freeman????????????

HE SUCKS!!!!!! Plain and simple. Not to mention how unprofessional he must be that he can't "get along" with anyone on his teams. What the hell do you think is going to happen when Zimmer starts cussing him out on the sideline?? He is going to cry like a little baby and we will have the same sideshow TB had with him. Funny how once Freeman was gone they started to win and be competitive with Mike Glennon. Most coaches would rather have rectal cancer than to have to deal with this loser. I dont care what he did in 2010, its already 2014. His career is OVER!

Why in the world is everyone (ANYONE!) drooling over Norv Turner? The guy made his name as the offensive coordinator for Aikman, Smith, Irvin and the consensus best offensive line ever assembled. How hard was it to look smart there? Then he went on to have a losing record as a head coach, most notably taking over a 14-2 San Diego team and making them worse every year he was there.

Cleveland last year? they went 4-12, and while doing so, they were 27th in scoring, 28th in rushing, 18th in total yards and 11th in passing. OF course you have a lot of passing yards throwing for garbage yards late in games against prevent D’s trying to make a comeback. Look at details of their stat lines and I bet close to half those passing yards came in fourth quarters of lost games!

Darn near anybody would be better than Musgrave, but this guy is a joke!

Funny how once Freeman was gone they started to win and be competitive with Mike Glennon.

When was that? I must of missed that part of the NFL season.

First 2 games with Freeman they barely lost both games against the Jets and the Saints. 3rd game they got blown out at NE. Freeman got benched after that loss for Glennon and they lost 5 straight before squeeking out a their first W against Miami in Week 10.

I don't think anyone is saying he is the savior but he'll be worth a look, if Cassel leaves and it's up to Freeman or Blunder to start our season I'll take Freeman anyday.

Certain coaches have a way with players and from the sounds of it Zimmer is one of them coaches. Even if he yells and swears in the heat of battle all his players respect him and only have good things to say about him.

Why in the world is everyone (ANYONE!) drooling over Norv Turner? The guy made his name as the offensive coordinator for Aikman, Smith, Irvin and the consensus best offensive line ever assembled. How hard was it to look smart there? Then he went on to have a losing record as a head coach, most notably taking over a 14-2 San Diego team and making them worse every year he was there.

Cleveland last year? they went 4-12, and while doing so, they were 27th in scoring, 28th in rushing, 18th in total yards and 11th in passing. OF course you have a lot of passing yards throwing for garbage yards late in games against prevent D’s trying to make a comeback. Look at details of their stat lines and I bet close to half those passing yards came in fourth quarters of lost games!

I for one am not drooling over Turner, like I said earlier I'm 50/50 on the guy. One thing he does have is a lot of experience on the offensive side of the ball, it's a good hire for a defensive coach with no offensive experience.

Not making excuses for him but did you see the QB situation in Cleveland last year? It was worse then ours. Do you know who the RB's were? Should be retired McGahee when healthy and a FB Ogbonnaya when McGahee was down.

They pretty much went vertical all season dropping bombs using Gordon, check his stats despite missing the first couple games. Jordan Cameron had a pretty nice season also.

If we can get any decent QB play he shouldn't have any problem with guys like AP, Patterson, Jennings, Rudolph, and any additions we make, hopefully to the O-line.

When was that? I must of missed that part of the NFL season.

First 2 games with Freeman they barely lost both games against the Jets and the Saints. 3rd game they got blown out at NE. Freeman got benched after that loss for Glennon and they lost 5 straight before squeeking out a their first W against Miami in Week 10.

4 of 5 Mike Glennon's first games in the NFL were against:

Arizona (10-6) barely missed playoffs, lost by 3

Philly (10-6) made the playoffs

Carolina (12-4) made the playoffs

Seattle (13-3) hosting NFC champ, and TB lost to them in OT in Seattle

Then they WON 4 of the next 5 games. and they wrapped up the season against SF (12-4) in NFC championship, and NO (11-5) playoff team, while both were were struggling to make the playoffs.

That is one brutal schedule for a rookie QB.

Freeman was dismissed cause he is a locker room cancer. I would much rather roll with Ponder than him, and that's saying a lot. Schiano was a hard@$$ just like Zimmer, and look at the poutfest little pansy Freeman put on. Why in the world would it be any different here. Schiano was well respected just like Zimmer when he got his first job.

Get a clue guru.

This is right from the horses mouth.

Frazier lauded Freeman's work ethic, saying he just got "lost in the shuffle."

Lol...lost in the shuffle. And you believe that is why he didn't get playing time? There was obviously something going on behind the scenes and its because the guy is a tool. Guru get your nose out of Freemans jock you know Cassel is the better option. Really though who knows if either guy even wants to stick around.

There is no sense in arguing about which QB that is on the current roster is the best fit since the only one the Vikings truly have control over is Ponder. The other two are not under contract and could go elsewhere.

You might as well start arguing about Philip Rivers because the chances of him being here are about the same as having either Freeman or Cassel IMO.

If we end up with Rivers and Turner both I might give up on 40+ years of being a Vikings fan, I'm not sure I can handle two guys I can't stand that much BOTH coming here! eek

He obviously has blackmail material on every GM in the NFL. I don't know how he keeps turning up.

The biggest question is how do you fire Marty Shottenheimer and hire this guy after he failed in Washington?