• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Getting around?

MudEyes

Just looking for some info on what guys are encountering up on the big pond. Can a guy get off road with a pickup? I'm hoping the snow settled a bit and the flooded areas are frozen up. I want to get up there sooner than later and would like to hear it from the guys that are fishing. Thanks in advance!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I would not go off roading this year yet. The reports are there is still deep slush pockets. Also if you get stuck way out in the middle of no where it will be hard to get any one to come get you. If you have a place you want to fish call around to the resorts and see if anyone is close to that area. Good Luck and be safe.

Just looking for some info on what guys are encountering up on the big pond. Can a guy get off road with a pickup? I'm hoping the snow settled a bit and the flooded areas are frozen up. I want to get up there sooner than later and would like to hear it from the guys that are fishing. Thanks in advance!

Absolutely not. The location of the "slush" (the slush is actually water that's about 18" deep) is indeterminable under the snow. Also, the ice under the "slush" is averaging 9".

Bear in mind, this "slush" is a result of the heavy snowfall the north saw in early-mid Dec, meaning it's been about a month, during which, we've experienced some of the coldest temps in memory.

My point being, the overall condition of the lake probably will not be drastically improving week to week. My experience is based off being on the pond 1/3 & 1/4.

How much ice is under the snow and slush

If you would have read the post, He posted that the ice is averaging 9" under the snow and ice.

Brandts is out to Sloppy's which is about 2.5 miles out and the reports coming from around that area is there is about 15-20" of ice and offroad travel is not to bad there is less snow out there than in other spots.

With that said though I still think I wouldn't travel to far off the road because you never really know what you are going to hit this year

I noticed the slushy areas around my house got a lot worse yesterday with the warm temps. I took a little tour around the lake and saw that the slush was starting to show through the snow in other areas as well. That's good news because now the cold should be able to penetrate this week and get these areas solid by the weekend.

Anyone know how much ice is under the snow and slush? wink

If the snow is deeper than 6", you can assume that there's 9" maybe up to 11" of clear ice. You won't know for sure unless you check. The problem is there's too much variation, 50 feet can mean 10" difference. Plus, there are open cracks under the snow and slush that you cannot see.

We had over 18" under our shack that was pulled out Friday. 3 houses down, maybe 300' away, he had less than a foot and flooded very badly, had him call the resort and they came and got him out of there! We were in an area that was wind blown and had no snow, he was in an area of thick snow! Hopefully this weather will thin out the snow a little and the cold can reach the ice.