• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2014 Vikings head coach is....

Scott K

I read that the only reason Bowles is getting interviewed by every team looking for a coach is to satisfy the NFL requirement that a person from a minority group be interviewed for every head coach opening.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FISHINGURU

• CaptainMusky

• Scott K

• zepman

I understand the reasoning for the rule, but do you really want to be "that guy"?

I guess its ridiculous for me ask that question not being a minority, but to be the "token minority" applicant seems a little like a backhanded compliment. I dont believe this is what the NFL had in mind when they instituted the "Rooney Rule". I guess it worked out well for Tomlin since by most accounts HE was that candidate, but wowed them in the interview and won the job.

It just seems like the league may not be really getting their desired result by having this rule.

I heard something yesterday that the original intent was to make ownership/GM interview multiple candidates or at least really think about the hire before making a decision.

Well, it would appear that TB honed right in on Lovie because I dont know that they interviewed anyone else.

You can cross Jay Gruden off the list. He just signed with the Redskins.

Wasn't real high on him anyways. He's done alright in Cinncy but nothing worthy of putting him at the top of the list for head coaches. If you just look at the 3 playoff games for Cinncy his offense only averaged 11 points per game. Well I guess falling apart when it really matters should have made him perfectly qualified to join the Vikings.

I think the Rooney Rule is a stupid rule. I am pretty sure 99% of us could care less if the coach was pink or blue just as long as they win. Maybe they should mandate that it be an Asian or Hispanic coach from now on. How about a woman??

Maybe we should hire Condi Rice. We would be the most progressive team in the league.

Perhaps the Rooney Rule served a purpose when it was first put into place but I get the impression that its more of outdated rule now. I feel like minority coaches are given a much better shot than they were maybe 10 years ago and I think that's due to them having legit football credentials versus having a rule that mandates they get an interview.

Sounds like a stupid requirement to me. How about just take the guy that fits best no matter of the skin color.

I've been wondering lately if your a racist if you don't want your next QB to be black? I don't see what the big deal is I wouldn't want my lead RB or my #1 WR to be white.

I suppose this day and age since we fired a black guy we had to set up and interview a couple black guys first so if we end up hiring a white guy we can't be called a racist team.

What about the Asians? I don't see many being coaches or players.

I kinda want a guy like Zimmer around, he's a no nonsense kind of guy and will whip these boys into shape.

I've been wondering lately if your a racist if you don't want your next QB to be black? I don't see what the big deal is I wouldn't want my lead RB or my #1 WR to be white.

If someone doesn't want the next QB to be black, simply because he's black, yes, they are a racist.

Why does skin color have any bearing on who you want as your lead RB or #1 WR?

You should tread lightly here, you're driving a 3/4 ton pick-up on early ice.

How about just take the guy that fits best no matter of the skin color.

The first statement and next two statements contradict each other. Wonder no longer. Your(sic) a racist.

Sounds like we have a favorite now

Quote:

Bengals DC Mike Zimmer has reportedly emerged as the favorite for the Vikings' head-coaching vacancy.

Marvin Lewis could be losing both his coordinators, as Jay Gruden was hired by the Redskins Thursday. The abrasive and fiery Zimmer's style would be in stark contrast to mild-mannered, player-friendly coach Leslie Frazier. It's a bit surprising the Vikings wouldn't favor an offensive mind, but Zimmer would make a fine choice. He's been the Bengals' defensive coordinator since 2008, consistently getting the most out of UDFA's and leading his unit to a No. 3 ranking this year despite season-ending injuries to Geno Atkins and Leon Hall.

I know what FG intended to say, I dont think he is racist either.

The majority of good QB are white, that isnt racist. So odds are better to go with a white QB.

The majority of good WR, and RB are balck, that isnt racist, it is a fact. So, the odds are better to go with a black WR, or RB.

But, if you think the best fit for your team is a certain QB, and he happens to be black, by all means, take him. Same goes for a white WR, or RB.

The first statement and next two statements contradict each other. Wonder no longer. Your(sic) a racist.

Hahahahaha, only one catch, you don't even know my race. Or am I racist of all color? If so I am just being equal. smile

ScottK got it right anyway.

The majority of good QB are white, that isnt racist. So odds are better to go with a white QB.

The majority of good WR, and RB are balck, that isnt racist, it is a fact. So, the odds are better to go with a black WR, or RB.

But, if you think the best fit for your team is a certain QB, and he happens to be black, by all means, take him. Same goes for a white WR, or RB.

Extend that thought to head coaches. The majority are white, so your odds are better to go with a white head coach. And viola, the reasons the Rooney Rule was necessary in the first place.

If someone doesn't want the next QB to be black, simply because he's black, yes, they are a racist.

Why does skin color have any bearing on who you want as your lead RB or #1 WR?

You should tread lightly here, you're driving a 3/4 ton pick-up on early ice.

Thin ice? Maybe dealing with sensitive people that want to make a big deal out of anything they can.

How many HOF QB's are black?

How many HOF RB's or WR's are white?

I don't see it being racist at all, just playing the odds.

Extend that thought to head coaches. The majority are white, so your odds are better to go with a white head coach. And viola, the reasons the Rooney Rule was necessary in the first place.

What's next the Kluwe Rule? Where you can't fire a guy for poor performance if he's on social media for same sex marriage?

Thin ice? Maybe dealing with sensitive people that want to make a big deal out of anything they can.

To be clear, I'm not calling you a racist. But there is a huge difference between looking at aggregate totals and applying that to specific individuals.

Also, as a whole, quite a few RB's and WR's in the Pro Football Hall of Fame are white.

No 1 should worry too much, whoever we get we'll be debating who's next 2-3 years from now. The teams that have that tier 1 quarterback also kinda look like they have the tier 1 coaches. It's all about QB's. They handle the ball the most, call plays often, change plays often, give the team faith if down we can come back so they hang in there and fight and when it happens like Luck did you're an instant believer. Who are the final 8 ? Manning,Brady,Brees,Rivers,Luck,in my book underrated Cam Newton, Wilson,Kaepernick so basically nothing has changed much I guess no Eli or Rodgers but they know hey we can get back in the hunt again because we can add depth etc. and have 0 worry at QB unlike the rest of league as outsiders looking in. We were grabbing straws, Leslie knew it was over, never got the guy in here that can break into that playoff pack of 8 teams, when we did it Adrian, very rare for a back to lead a team into playoff land and Walsh's foot, anyway if Bud Grant couldn't get it done I'll Randy Moss it, aint eva gonna be a superbowl champion here, not in Minnesota.

The last two statements I quoted are probably paraphrases of common statements made often in the early era of integrated pro sports. Stereotypical assignment of team positions based upon color alone are racist - regardless of the race of the person making the statement-regardless of the percentages/odds used to justify the statement.

The statements I quoted were direct quotes and made no room for the exceptions to the "rule". Names like Kaepernick, Wilson, Newton, Griffin etc. seem to indicate that Scott's racial "odds" in 5 years may be a 180 degree reversal from the "odds" today.

I apologize for making my response to those statements personal. I'll correct that and say that the statements/attitudes expressed are racist.

This mentality is exactly why the Rooney Rule was put in place to start with.

Teams wouldn't look at minority candidates because no minority candidate had ever had any real success. Of course that was because very few ever got the chance.

If skin color enters the equation like it apparently does in the example above it shows that perhaps the rule isn't as outdated as I previously thought.

How many black QB's were given a chance back in the day?

You may be playing the odds by sticking with a white QB but the odds you are playing were created by a long list of white coaches that funneled top quality black athletes into positions other than QB because the past sentiment was that they weren't smart enough to play QB. That also explains why so the WR/RB positions have historically been dominated by black athletes. If they weren't allowed to play QB they had to play somewhere.

And as stated before there are a lot of HOF RBs and WRs that are white.

Well in the past couple decades plenty of black QB's have been givin great opportunities, we'll have to wait and see how it plays out, I haven't seen any yet and don't see any of them as HOF'ers right now, I do/did like a few of them though.

Which white lead RB's or white #1 WR's have been HOF'ers in the past 20-30 years? Maybe all the ones that are in the HOF from back in the day are there because of all the white coaches and voters? I've been watching football for the past 30 years or so and don't recall very many successful white lead RB's or white #1 WR's. There are a few that pop into my head but definitely not alot.

The Washington Redskins have their coach. The Minnesota Vikings might not be far behind.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday that a trio of candidates are believed to be finalists for the chance to replace the fired Leslie Frazier.

Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer and Todd Bowles, who runs the Arizona Cardinals' defense, are two of the three, Rapoport was told. The third candidate remains a mystery.

A nugget on the Bowles front: If he wins the job, Rapoport cited former Cowboys and Bills coach Chan Gailey and Ravens coordinator Rick Neuheisel as possible hires for offensive play-calling duties.

The Vikings planned all along to interview up to 10 candidates before whittling the field down to three. Plans to meet with Jay Gruden were erased after the former Bengals offensive coordinator hammered out a deal Thursday to become coach of the Redskins.

On the heels of the Frazier era, Minnesota again appears poised to hand the reins to a proven defensive-minded coach.

Zimmer -- an entertaining wild-card on last year's "Hard Knocks" -- would be an intriguing hire. But whoever takes over can't ignore an offense with major issues at the quarterback position, a bee's nest of non-viable passers who played a major role in Frazier's fall from grace.

Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer and Todd Bowles, who runs the Arizona Cardinals' defense, are two of the three, Rapoport was told. The third candidate remains a mystery.

Psssssst, who they tryin to fool? We all know the third candidate is Buck.

I am not sure who they are going to get as far as head coach, but I wouldnt mind them knocking on Favres door to see if he wants to run the offense, either as a QB coach, or the OC.

I am sure this wouldnt bode well for the eastern cheesbacks, but who cares. Favre mentoring/coaching Manziel, hmmmm

On the heels of the Frazier era, Minnesota again appears poised to hand the reins to a proven defensive-minded coach.

Chicago and soon Detroit went the other way. With what they have on offense, going with a defensive minded coach will equal door step for the next few years. MN needs a offensive minded coach with a quit but strong D coordinator.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

SF Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman is on the Vikes wish list to be interviewed as part of the final three.

I believe he already interviewed for the HC position after the 49ers - Packer game.

So all three will interview one more time and the Vikes will pick between Roman, Bowles and Zimmer.

We might have a new HC after the 2nd round of interviews as soon as they can get a contract worked out.

Reports are saying we are going to interview Roman today in North Carolina, and also defensive line coach Jim Tomsula.

Pretty crazy how all these guys are doing interviews as they are supposed to be all in on game planning in the big games coming up.

I gotta say I am not impressed with the way this coaching search has gone.

1. If we get Greg Roman (SF Off Cord) does that mean we get to run the read option here?? I am sure that Peterson will fit right into that. Not to mention we would draft a more mobile running type guy to fit the system.

2. If its Zimmer (Cincy DC) are we really going to trust a defensive coordinator to help find and groom our franchise QB?? And I am not fond of anyone that comes out of Marvin Lewis one and done system.

3. If its Bowles (AZ DC) I have same questions for him as Zimmer.

I think Wisenhunt might be the guy to get a franchise QB, and develop him. He did it with Rothlisberger in Pitt. He also made it to the Superbowl with Kurt Warner and his wife. Then in their brilliance the Bidwell family gave Wisenhunt franchise QBs like John Skelton to work with. He seems to have been a great help to Phillip Rivers this year. Wish they would give him another look at least.

Lions will win the division next year if they get Wisenhunt.

And I really wish that the NFL would keep any of this carp from happening until the playoffs are over. Its not fair to the guys who are still with teams who are in the playoffs yet to not be hired cause they are doing good.

Not like the new HC can't hire good staff to work with the other side of the ball and groom the other players.

Just because we get a defensive coach doesn't mean we can't groom a QB or have a good offense, same goes for an offensive coach doesn't mean we can't have a good defense with good defensive players. That is why it is important to have a good staff to go along with the HC.

There's no guarantee just because we hire an offensive coach that we will draft the right QB and groom him into being good just because we hired an offensive coordinator. We are going to need a perfect storm.

I like Zimmer the most out of these guys that we've interviewed so far,

I'm guessing with him coming in again he's the leading guy, the other guys we are interested in are still on the winning teams. Roman, Tomsula, and Bevell might not of impressed enough to wait for them. Not sure if we've even talked with Gace or Del Rio, I don't think either of them are worth waiting for if we are really impressed with a guy right now.

It does suck they allow these interviews to happen while the season is still going on, teams should have to wait until the Super Bowl is over.

Lions winning the division? C'MON Man!!!