• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Be careful with propane

delcecchi

Just down the block from me.... Added excitement to evening.

Refilling 1 lb propane bottles in garage...

http://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/m...7e21621039.html

full-1100-40770-fire1.jpg

full-1100-40771-fire2.jpg

full-1100-40772-fire3.jpg

Quote:
A southwest Rochester man escaped an explosive fire triggered by a leaking propane tank Saturday night.

Calls from neighbors flooded police dispatchers at 7:55 p.m. because of the size and speed of the fire. A huge column of black smoke back lit by city lights could be seen from U.S. 63 south, said Rochester Fire Department Deputy Chief Steve Belau.

The fire erupted in the attached garage at 2526 Elmcroft Drive S.W. when the leaking propane contacted a heater in the garage as the man was working with portable propane cylinders, getting ready for an ice fishing excursion, Belau said. The flash fire quickly involved the leaking cylinder itself, accelerated by the increasing flow of propane gas.

The garage became engulfed in flames in less than a minute.

"The occupant was extremely fortunate to escape," Belau said.

The fire broke through the ceiling of the garage and entered the attic, spreading into space over the house itself.

Five fire engines and a ladder truck went to the scene. They got the fire under control by breaking through the ceiling inside the house and shooting water onto the flames. They stopped the fire in about an hour, Belau said.

Firefighters stayed at the scene through the night to assure no hot spots broke into flames.

No one was injured.

The garage and its contents were destroyed, and damage in the attic was significant, Belau said.

A cost estimate wasn't immediately available.

15-18 years ago we had a near accident refilling pounders, will never do it again, I dont even like a new one....

I have one of the refill adapters and what I don't unferstand is how can people fill the 2# tanks with the new valves on the propane tanks? I tried it the other day (outside and away from any source of spark, heat fire, etc) and it just plane doesn't work, It did with the old tanks. I did it to just see if it would work.

What is it about refilling the 1 pound cylinders that is so dangerous. Watching a couple videos on youtube it seems pretty straight forward. It sounds like to me you will have an occasional one with a bad valve? I was thinking of getting the adapter but i have heard horror stories from some and others say it is no big deal. Is it kind of like the turkey fryers? I assume as long as you take the necessary precautions and leak test everything you should be ok?

I think one of the most dangerous parts of refilling is the fact that the refilled tanks tend to leak pretty bad. Not just during filling but after as well.

What is it about refilling the 1 pound cylinders that is so dangerous. Watching a couple videos on youtube it seems pretty straight forward. It sounds like to me you will have an occasional one with a bad valve? I was thinking of getting the adapter but i have heard horror stories from some and others say it is no big deal. Is it kind of like the turkey fryers? I assume as long as you take the necessary precautions and leak test everything you should be ok?

They are meant to be used once, the valve (that little pin in the middle of the threaded part) is not designed to be opened and closed multiple times. After a few [once for some] open/close cycles the valve will hang up and no longer seal properly. If it isn't noticed you will have propane leaking out and any open flame will ignite it.

I personally have gotten numerous tanks that won't seal properly after the first use, so I have completely stopped removing the tank from the heater unless it is empty, and even then I will toss it outside incase some residual leaks out. Opening the tonneau cover on your truck and getting a cloud of propane from a partially full tank that you removed from your heater an hour earlier will open your eyes to how dangerous those things can be.

The heater in the garage was the issue here.

No refilling a one pounder was the issue, the valve was not meant for this.

I've owned one of the valves you buy for refilling for years. I have never used it. This is a pretty good argument to continue that trend.

I notice none of the guys that said it is perfectly safe have posted about this

I'll bite. First off, I doubt anybody ever said it perfectly safe, obviously, anytime you handle a flammable material, you have risk! I've been refilling for several years, use newer 1-lber's and test for leaks. I do it OUTDOORS and weight before and after I fill them, they never seem to weigh a much as a new one when refilled (I compare weight of full store bought for reference)so they don't appear to get completely full. I don't recall ever having one that leaked, in fact, the only one I can remember leaking is a new one that I unscrewed when it was partially used. You just don't fill them in a garage with a active ignition source! I bought a big buddy and now use a pankcake style tank, so I don't fill as many, but still have a few always ready for backup! Like others have said, do really think Coleman or whoever makes these refill adapters would sell them, if it were illegal to refill them!

Disclaimer: this is my opinion on the use of this product and you have yours, so I'm not going to get into a pi$$ing contest over who's right and wrong.

$2.50 at the lowest price for 1lb. tanks isn't worth the price of loosing everything in your household refilling them! Do the math!

$2.50 at the lowest price for 1lb. tanks isn't worth the price of loosing everything in your household refilling them! Do the math!

Exactly ! Found a sale on black Fri. 4 pack/$9 stocked up and got 32.

I'll bite. First off, I doubt anybody ever said it perfectly safe, obviously, anytime you handle a flammable material, you have risk! I've been refilling for several years, use newer 1-lber's and test for leaks. I do it OUTDOORS and weight before and after I fill them, they never seem to weigh a much as a new one when refilled (I compare weight of full store bought for reference)so they don't appear to get completely full. I don't recall ever having one that leaked, in fact, the only one I can remember leaking is a new one that I unscrewed when it was partially used. You just don't fill them in a garage with a active ignition source! I bought a big buddy and now use a pankcake style tank, so I don't fill as many, but still have a few always ready for backup! Like others have said, do really think Coleman or whoever makes these refill adapters would sell them, if it were illegal to refill them!

Disclaimer: this is my opinion on the use of this product and you have yours, so I'm not going to get into a pi$$ing contest over who's right and wrong.

Never said anything about it being illegal, but the tanks were not meant to refill. You might be saving yourself a dollar a tank and I just don't think it is worth your life.

I hate using the small 1 pound cylinders. They are light and very handy for ice fishing, but they leak. Even the new ones after they have been used and disconnected for transport. It seems the colder it is outside the more they are likely to leak after being used. It would be if there was an inexpensive 1 pound cylinder with a shut off valve.

So would you be ok if you refilled them outside then plugged them into your heater right after and left them in until there empty, then repeat???

I was down in Rochester visiting my parents over the Holidays just after this happened. They live fairly close to this house. Taking a look at all of that loss over refilling one pounders, yikes. The guy was really lucky to survive.

I have no problem paying $2.50-3 per tank and I've never desired to refill my own. Guess I do need to find out how to dispose of them though, since I have 8-10 empties in the garage. If they are completely empty, can you just take them to your local waste facility? Do they charge for them?

I refill them on occasion.

I never refill them indoors.

I always hook them up to something right after refilling because the valve is unreliable after refilling.

I remember way back when you could buy a refillable 1 lb tank with a reliable valve, I wish you still could.

I have talked to people about this, and the point about safety is a great one, however where does it say the guy was refilling portable propane tanks?

I read "as the man was working with portable propane cylinders, getting ready for an ice fishing excursion". where is the "refilling" part i missed?

He could have been moving them, he could have been taking an old, almost empty one off to put a new one on, he could have been screwing on a new one to a christmas present he recieved or a million other things we "work on" when prepairing to go ice fishing. I think people are assuming this guy was doing something he very well wasnt doing.

In fact i was "working with portable propane tanks in the garage" just last night. I moved 3 old ones from the shelf, and one felt like it had a bit left in it, so i screwed each on the lantern and checked them. All were empty so i put them in the box of empties and installed a new tank on the lantern. I then moved the 20lb'er and removed the sunflower from it. At no time did i attempt to fill any of the old ones, but if i blew my garage, the story could/would have read just like this one.

What else can I say but he didn't save any $ refilling them pounders now. Wait for a sale and buy new ones it aint worth it.

smile

I didn't see one pound tank mentioned in either ariticle. crazy

I didn't see anything about refilling 1 pound tanks. maybe he was hooking his hose up from his twenty pounder.

When a person refills one pound tanks they are assuming the risk of danger. No different than sticking a cig in your mouth. The user knows the dangers, but does it anyway.

After reading thru this thread I'm going to be a little more careful with the partial filled 1 pounders. Sometimes when I'm heading out on a ice fishing trip I'll put a new fresh tank on my Buddy so I'm not running out on the ice, thinking I'll use up that partial one on the Coleman stove, so I have several partials sitting around. Not going to do that if theres a chance of the valve sticking because I DO have a heat source in my shed.

Last year when Menards had their 17% off bag sale I bought a bunch of one pounders, did you know you can get a whole case in the bag?? smile Have to take them our of the box first but they all fit. Bought two cases.

As far as recycling, the local hazardous waste center will take the emptys.

Curious minds want to know, has anybody ever shot one those one pounders with a rifle?? smile Always wanted to try it but didn't want to end up on the Darwin awards!!

Its funny how people will spend thousands on new equipment and stuff but cant buy a couple of cans of propane for a couple dollars each, are these the same people that wont buy a safety pin for there trailer hitch because they cost too much?? just a thought

I've followed this thread and read the story but, still fail to see any mention of refilling, or one pound canisters for that matter. 20,11 or 5 pound tanks can be called portable. Maybe the guy removed a one pounder from a lantern and it didn't seal right. Nothing to do with refilling at all. Maybe he screwed a canister onto his auger and it leaked (just read other threads about leaking auger propane tanks). It really is amazing the assumptions that people make.