• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rate Your Season

herm

I think I'm done chasing Mn roosters for 2013. How was your season? In a word, mine was consistent. Saw birds on almost every trip. Averaged about 1 rooster a trip through November. December was tough. Hunted only public land. Aside from opener and day after Thanksgiving, saw few other hunters. Having heard the dire predictions at end of summer, I must say things turned out way better than I expected. Overall I'd grade my 2013 season a B. Just gotta figure out how to score more in December. How about you?

I hunted from opener. I plan to hunt until Jan.1.

I went out about twice every week,some weeks only once.

Until today I had shot 4 birds and missed 1 other bird.I did see some birds,but they would flush early or flush behind a brushy ditchline. Overall The numbers seemed way down.

Then today[the first day my daughter hunts with me] I shoot 5 birds. I started out by missing the first one that flushed,but after that it was amazing. The birds held tight[most of them the dog had to dig out of the cattails]and my shooting was good enough to bring them down[had 2 runners that the dog did a great job of running down and digging out]. The only thing that would have been better,if my daughter had more chances to bag some birds. The dog hunts for me,he stays close to me and the birds flushed away from my daughter.

Before today it would have been D+ or C-,after today a B. With eleven days left it could possibly go higher.

workin'

A- here. I had a stellar year through the beginning of December. Saw and shot more birds than I ever have. I only hunt public land. I really hope the numbers are this low again next year! I went out dozens of times, only seeing other hunters a few times, but seeing birds on most every trip. I have never put much faith in the "counts"! Get out there, put in some time and effort and you will be rewarded. I'm still hunting in the cold and snow, but it's tough going now! That's o.k.though, still enjoy getting out, and I'll continue to hunt until the season closes. I told my daughter the only way to guarantee the number of birds you will see is to stay home. If I do that though, I might just miss the hunt of a lifetime! It's called hunting for a reason, if it were that easy it would be called shooting!

Poor at best. Kind of reminds me of the mid 80's. There's few out there, usually see something and have a chance or two, but numbers are waaayyy down in areas I hunt.

Had a slow start to the season the reason being no dog. If my buddy wasn't down with his dog I didn't bother going. Once the snow fell I shot eleven roosters over the last five times I was out hunting by myself without a dog. Nine of those were public land birds out of cattails, red willows, and cedar shelter belts. Just love tracking those roosters in the snow. Definitely saw as many birds as last year and oddly enough actually saw about as many roosters as hens. Out of the fourteen birds I shot thirteen were young of the year birds which was encouraging. Might get out one more morning but not for sure. Like RyanV said there are birds out there if you are willing to work for them.

didnt start hunting until November 2nd and wont be done until the season closes. I would have to rate my season as a c. I have shot 8 roosters this year and missed 2. I have seen maybe 15 total. we have chased up countless hens. all on public land. ive hunted Meeker, McLeod, and in Sibley county. I only work 2 days from now to season close so i will be out as much as possible.

I mainly only grouse hunt up til deer season, and I shot 31 for the year ( grouse) best year ever, been out for pheasants lately and have been surprised at how many ive seen close to home got one rooster yesterday seen 3.

I would rate my season as a b+. I got out at least once a week if not twice a week. I shot 28 birds this year and i hunted out in caver, mcLoud, wright, benson and around montevideo. Ill keep at it till the end. Heck i am even going out tomorrow.

A+ in nw NoDak. Last year I saw more birds, but I can't complain. My job only allows me to get out a couple times a month, but I shot my limit more times than not. So far have 36 roosters down & still some time left. Hoping to break 40

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

B I had a real good season was pleasantly surprised at the numbers of birds I saw and harvested. I know the predictions were down but I don't puth a lot of faith in dnr counts so I hunted hard as usual. Last year was suppose to be bad also and I had a steller year. Total birds harvested so far are at 23. The areas I hunted were stearns, kandyohi,meeker,pope,and douglas counties. I mostly hunted public land all season but did hit some regular private spots. What does scare me is the total outcome of this winter. We have had a good amount of snow alrrady could put some serious stress on the birds left. The last few outings I did witness some big groups out in the fields with plenty of both species so there is a good crop for next year. Hopefully mother nature is good to us so next year I can put a grade up of A grin Gd luck to all the hardcores the rest of the season!

I rate the season as a "C+".

Didnt get out as much as I have int he past but had a blast when I did...good dog work and hunting with family/friends...thats what its all about.

Hunted in ND/SD and MN. Birds were down but huntable depending upon the effort you put in - as was mentioned by all who posted.

Eating birds for Christmas tonight! Cant wait. Wifes got a killer recipe.

Worst season in 35 years of pheasant hunting, seeing very few birds, almost back to like the late 80's, when you do see some you watch them go across the swamp and go after them, they're probably the only birds you'll see. Was out last Sat and jumped 6 hens, then when you look around, you wonder what they is for them to eat. Pretty sad. I feel like I'm hunting down the last of the buffalo.

I give it an A. I don't put any stock in DNR numbers or other people's reports. Once the crops come down is when you find out what's out there.

I hunted 5 days right after the crops went down. Snuck an hour in the first night I made it to where I hunt in Western MN. Saw 20 birds, 3 roosters, shot my 2. Next morning went back to same tract of land, saw nothing, went to spot number 2, saw 25 in an hour and got a double over a nice point to fill my limit. Ate pheasant that night with Grandparents.

Went out next morning and ended up hunting with some random guy who pulled up and talked to me while I was waiting for 9 a.m. A half hour in, dog goes on point, I start walking in and a rooster gets up. I drop it. Another one gets up, dude misses, I drop it. Another one gets up, I drop it. Another one gets up, we both miss, then I drop it. Quadruple! Then the pup finds every single downed bird...while kicking up another 11 roosters that we couldn't shoot.

Next morning a buddy is out and it's windy as heck. Birds are in the cattails right next to ponds. My Britt gets down in there, kicks up 2 nice roosters, I drop one over the pond about 30 yards out. I'm finishing telling my buddy his lab is going to have to go get it because my Britt won't...when I look up and my Britt is swimming straight to it! Brings it back to hand for her first pheasant retrieve! Finished off my limit that day, shot another limit the next, brought home my possession limit.

I think I averaged about 20 birds an hour seen, and limited every day I hunted. Grouse numbers were a lot better than folks were saying, too. Or maybe my dog is finally starting to pay off. I don't know, but it was a very productive year for me.

There certainly were more birds than the DNR predicted. Some areas had mature birds in Oct., evidence of a spring hatch. Other areas had mostly very young birds in Oct., obviously a late hatch. I farm and am a food plot cooperator with the DNR for 30years. It makes a huge difference when the birds have food access, wish all large wildlife areas could have one. Good for other species also. Yes pheasants can scratch, but they have to go to open ground, roadsides and fields. This makes them quite vulnerable to a variety of threats. Snow hunting can be fun, but given a difficult time to find food in icey conditions, it makes the birds (mostly hens by this time) use a lot of energy they wouldn't normally so I personally don't hunt when conditions get to where they are now have been for a little while. It can also disrupt their food finding pattern, driving them to areas they are not familiar with. Its a personal choice, but something to consider.

I will give it a B. I didnt get out as much as I wanted with a big gap between outings around deer hunting. Shot birds every time out. Had a couple of really great hunts and a lot of good ones. shot a dozen so far.