• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spearfishing - Where are you now?

MJ1657

Why wait, just don't take a spear. You need to stay in shape, cutting a hole would be a great work out.

Why wait, just don't take a spear. You need to stay in shape, cutting a hole would be a great work out.

Hah!!! Good point.

When it comes to realism it's hard to top a wittier. He makes a nice decoy. And they swim good to boot.

When it comes to realism it's hard to top a wittier. He makes a nice decoy. And they swim good to boot.

Picked up my first wittier this year and it was killer and it seemed to be a muskie magnet also laugh

• 2 weeks later...

I cleaned up my spears today.

I bought a Dillo this year and it kind of bothered me how much it rusted. I steel wooled it and oiled it with Rem oil and it looks great. Give it a couple years and I think it will get a nice patina on it.

I clear coated my dillo but everywhere there is a scratch major rust. I wonder if bluing would help? Love the spear just hate the finnish.

mwal

Bluing is controlled rust ;), it would still rust if it got scratched. Parkerizing and then oiling it would be the best way to protect it but the tank would have to be big enough to fit the spear. Dura coat clear would be another great clear coat for it and that stuff really protects against rust great.

I am working on boat and keep looking at the spear I started, and I know I need to finish it so I can start another one.

I also just purchased a tig welder so now I can finish repairing Archerysnipers spear. I got the tine all bent/shaped and the barb finished, now to weld it up and grind it out.

I was thinking about powdercoating mine until I talked to Spearhead about it. After he got done chewing Merks butt for coating a spear I followed his advice with mine. grin

The spear that I have been working on, had lightly rusted in a couple of spots ,I used 0000 steel wool and a little oil to polish it up. I really like the patina that it had gotten so I will most likely try and duplicate that on this spear. It will look good as it grows old, and with a few pike scales on it, it should really enhance the beauty of it.

That is the look I'm going for. I haven't touched up my Roger Cook spear since I got it and I'm liking how its aging.

I was thinking about powdercoating mine until I talked to Spearhead about it. After he got done chewing Merks butt for coating a spear I followed his advice with mine. grin

I knew if I barked long enough someone would listen grin

I never listen to him..... or Gordie.

-Merk

Spearhead his track record proves this! laugh

• 2 weeks later...

Dealer and Dorkfish came up and spent the day working on a few decoys as well as comparing a few notes, tips, and tricks. Goose had a great time learning how to use the air brush as well as showing off a few of her own decoys.

The jury is still out on how good things will swim. The above ground swim tank should've been thawed out by now, but the 20" of snow we had last week wreaked that idea. Can't wait to see how the paint jobs finish up.

Just finished up Merkmans spear and worked on the boat for the Sturgeon Excursion. Had a great Easter service at our Church this evening too.

We are off to Easter services and a great meal at my sister-in-laws. Should make a lot of money at cards later today, life is good.....

Happy Easter, Everyone

Just scored a pair of stand up tongs at a junk sale! Little rusty, but it will make life easier if we half 10feet if ice like we did last season.

Very cool I never seem to find the stand up ones and bought a new set. They are worth having. Your back will thank you

Mwal

Just scored a pair of stand up tongs at a junk sale! Little rusty, but it will make life easier if we half 10feet if ice like we did last season.

Good score.

I have someone scouting for some for me today at a big swap meet. No luck so far.

Did they find one or come up empty?

That ice tongs was the only spearing item I found all day. No spears or decoys.

Old bows (recurves/longbows), spearing stuff, and cork/wood duck decoys are what I spend my time looking for at the sales, but they are tough to come by most of the time.

I found a few spears and stand up tongs at the Le sueur pioneer power swap meet.

nothing that i bought but there are always some floating around there.

This pair was in pretty rough shape... needed a new rivet. .. He was asking $40

full-21342-45067-20140426_100425.jpg

This spear was labeled as an original Dillo Hinnenkamp spear and they wanted $175.

I passed on that.

full-21342-45068-screenshot_2014_04_28_1

I found a few spears and stand up tongs at the Le sueur pioneer power swap meet.

nothing that i bought but there are always some floating around there.

This pair was in pretty rough shape... needed a new rivet. ..

This spear was labeled as an original Dillo Hinnenkamp spear and they wanted $175.

Damm, I knew I should have gone there.

full-21342-45068-screenshot_2014_04_28_1

cry

• 2 weeks later...

full-32630-45598-img_20140511_175609_106

Bought a pry bar at an auction yesterday to use this winter on those stubborn froze down houses. I think I'll paint it green.

Nice heavy Bar, You going to drop this one in the lake also???? wink

It Happens to the best of us whistle

• The title was changed to Spearfishing - Where are you now?