• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anybody been out to check green? Im headed out sat night/afternoon with the ol lady. Will report what I discover when I get back. Thinking those walleyed pike might be hungry... Anybody have an idea on ice conditions? Happy jiggin out there if u get out!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• monstermoose78

• M1dwestF1sh

• Gordie

• ThndrDkl

Last report I had over the weekend was 6-9" with the top 2 or 3" being white slush ice, that was over the weekend though and it has been making ice out there since!! No fishing reports as of yet to relate back, but people are out there, they must be catching something!!

On green right now missed a nice eye earlier that got off at the hole marking alot of fish but can't hit home... People are driving full size trucks out...

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

how much ice ZachD? Sometimes the walleyes really like crappie minnows out there.

how much ice ZachD? Sometimes the walleyes really like crappie minnows out there.
I didn't measure but I would guess over a foot. Some silly-me was in his full size truck doing donuts on the ice.. watch out mr cool

reports were about 12" with the top 3" being white ice, little to early for me driving out but you knew people were going to start already.

I dont drive until we hit 18 inches, but yes I knew people would start driving out. Be careful out there and please let the ice thicken up some more before taking out the trucks.

Every year we have some white ice on top and that is weak. The reports are 12 inches with about 3 inches of white ice, so that is about 9 inches of good ice not enough for me. I like to be safe rather than sorry. I do not want to sink my truck, die, or risk someone else's life trying to save me. Everyone feels comfortable on different amounts of ice and I like to see a solid 15 inches of good clear ice and add the 3 inches to the 15 that is 18 inches.

A truck went through on Lake Ida today near Alexandria.

Photo courtesy of the Alexandria Tech Law Enforcement Program.

full-18483-40257-1450347_652289341489793

Ill be heading out to green today. If I see one truck ill drive out. Drove on elk yesterday with a solid 13inches of ice. But you wont see me doing donuts on the lake. Id like to be a little safer than that

Ill be heading out to green today. If I see one truck ill drive out. Drove on elk yesterday with a solid 13inches of ice. But you wont see me doing donuts on the lake. Id like to be a little safer than that

There was one truck on Green yesterday

"If I see one truck ill drive out"

So, if there's 1 guy out there, must be safe then?

I don't take anyone's word for ice. I like to see it with my own eyes and tape measure. I check ice thickness all the way out my first time driving. And, I'm driving with the windows down and sometimes the door cracked open too.

Be safe out there!

No snow on the ice helps too, no insulation factor to hamper the ice making.

Just have to remember NO ice is safe no matter how thick it is.

I have witnessed trucks drop with 30 inches of ice.

If one truck is on the ice or someone says there was truck traffic of course ill go venture out and try the ice. Im careful with how I approach ice especially being one of the first ones driving out. I drove out on green with no issues. Solid 14 inches of ice. People drove across to the west side of the lake. Fishing was very difficult. I was a lone ranger out in front of the river or creek whatever youd call it in 17-22 feet of water and managed 3 perch all day.

If one truck is on the ice or someone says there was truck traffic of course ill go venture out and try the ice. Im careful with how I approach ice especially being one of the first ones driving out. I drove out on green with no issues. Solid 14 inches of ice. People drove across to the west side of the lake. Fishing was very difficult. I was a lone ranger out in front of the river or creek whatever youd call it in 17-22 feet of water and managed 3 perch all day.

Was tough on tuesday afternoon for me. Lots of aggressively passive fish out there. Fishing about 22 for come storming up to my lindy darter. Look and leave.

Are they driving all over out there? How much ice? I might head out early am in the dark just wondering if there's anything to be careful of?

Ice varies from spot to spot on a lake. I like when the guys who spear post ice thickness, because they have the block of ice to measure. I know I have heard the ice on green ranges from 14 inches in some areas to 18 inches in other areas. I have been hearing of some walleyes being caught in the 18-20 feet of water. I saw 5 of them last night as a friend of mine was so excited that he caught some eyes on green. He said a foot off the bottom and he was using a glow lead head jig with a fathead and a frosty jig in glow blue with a crappie minnow. He said they seemed to coming small groups because he would get one and the other bobber would go down. He said he missed a few with frosty jig, because it has a small hook. He had a 4 nice crappies that looked to be close to 11 inches as well. Good Luck

thanks for the info! I'm still a bit uneasy about driving my half ton truck out and I have two wheelers so why risk it right?

I might try green tomorrow was there a certain time of day that seemed better?

Thanks for the info!

Great I was thinking of getting out around noon and fishing till dusk. were other half ton trucks out there? you said about 15 inches? solid 15 or 12 solid + 3 white. Slush?

Thanks

My half ton truck was out there along with a few 1 ton four doors. 15 inches of good ice and a few inches of the white stuff give or take an inch on both.

Great thanks for the info. I think I'll take my half ton ford out tomorrow then if you're out stop by for a beer. I'll have the two flip up clams linked with the trap link and a grey f150.

Gonna pull the house from stanch to green today. Never fished green before, but the father in law insists we move there to catch a wally or two.

That said, neither of us have fished green before. I see a couple "go-to" spots based on the lake map. Any PMs with some suggestions where to target Wallys would be very appreciated. I expect to pin point spots on my own, but a good lead is always helpful!

Merry Christmas and tight lines!

Went out on Green on Monday. fished several spots, everyone I spotted hundred of fish on the vexilar and couldn't get a bite. finally put my camera down and thousands of tiny perch. same story in every spot I fished. left at about 130 in the afternoon frustrated and went to the bar for some drinks and lunch. Is this lake an evening lake? sure didn't seem to be a daytime lake...

I have caught eyes there before, along the south shore. No real predictable spot to see on the map, just drilled a lot and looked for the best sand/gravel spot. Haven't really caught a lot, but a few here, one or two there. I was always just south of the group of houses that sit on the humps.