• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sunset Bay Ice and Road Conditions

Paul Waldowski

Just came in off the lake. We will be opening up for snowmobile and wheeler access to both Shaw's Reef and Doe Island Reef on Wednesday. We found 8 inches of ice everywhere in the bay and out to bout 1/4 mile past Does Island. At that point we had slush and 5 inches of ice. We have started to clear our landing in anticipation of staging houses soon. We will spend tomorrow staking trails and plowing out an area for a skating rink.

chris63,

Thanks for answering for me.

outdoorav,

No reports in as of yet. We are just starting to get out due to heavy snow cover. I have yet to see anyone out in up here. Should have some reports after this weekend.

Due to the bitterly cold temps, Staking has been delayed a couple of days. We will now start staking trails to both Shaw's and Doe Island Reef on Friday. There is still quite a bit of snow on the lake and several different areas have large slush pockets. I would highly encourage travel in pairs of ATV's or Sleds as you might encounter difficult travel in isolated areas. If Friday goes as well as anticipated we will be offering help in getting out to these two areas.

Darn snow. Just want to get our house on the ice! That first glass of whiskey is calling my name! We would be sitting pretty had we not gotten that snow!

We continue to inch our way out. With all of the snow the big lake just is not making ice like it should be with the temps that we have had. We do have a staked trail to Shaw's reef that is open to Sled and Wheeler traffic. If you do bring a wheeler I would give serious thought to chains. We do have a trail running to the south to Doe Island reef but there are still a couple of really slush spots near there and I would feel a whole lot better knowing that I do not have folks down in that direction.

Hey Paul, I was saving my last couple days off to be up there in the house the weekend after Xmas... I know it's almost 2 weeks away but do you have any predictions on our chances of being out By then? Looks like after this week the temps drop again to single digit highs.

Just wondering if there is any kind of new updates at all. We have an ice house rented for mid January and PRAY things are going fairly well.

There is an update on their Facebook page today. Not looking good, it's a mess up there. Resorts have a tough go this year for sure. But rest assured Appeldoorns and everyone else will do everything they can to get us on the ice when they can.

In order to understand what was going on at the lake, I took several trips up just to see what was happening, or not happening, as it were, up there. One trip up there will tell you everything you need to know. After what looked like the perfect start to some serious ice, a month ahead of time, everything went south. Paul and the other resorters should get a medal for what they are trying to accomplish up there. SNOW is the culprit and the resultant slush, inconsistent ice and drifting snow has retarded things to a point that was difficult to understand from my easy chair here at home. If there has ever been a year to use patience and caution and count on resort owners/workers for guidance on where and when to go and not to go, this is it. Four wheelers are not enough in this snow, slush is a problem for the sleds and there has not been enuf ice under all of this junk to use a truck and plow to get things started. There are places on the lake where a week of cold weather has resulted in only an additional inch of ice. Time and cold will likely rectify these issues. Thanks to Paul and to all of the other resorters for sticking their necks out for us and for doing their best to keep us safe and informed while trying to being patient with us at a time when patience is running thin for everyone. Please reward them handsomely when you do visit them as they have earned it. Thank you is a great start! Thank you Paul et al.

For sure Dave! I'm as anxious as anyone to get out there, but have fished the lake for enough years to know what's going on up there. I've been up there on a year like this, 5 miles out, with a 4 wheeler, buried in shush. Like i said, we know that Paul and crew are doing everything they can to make it happen as quickly and as safely as possible. Love to fish the lake, but my life certainly isn't worth the fish we won't catch, and the hangover we will! We will get there, just have to be patient! THANKS PAUL AND THE ICE CREW AND STAFF! we'll see you when we see you!

Ryan_V, I just wanted to clarify that my post was not directed to anyone in particular, but actually mirrored my own perspective before seeing for myself what was going on up there. I was wondering why there were so few ice and fishing reports from around the lake until I saw for myself that the lake itself was at a standstill. I wanted to explain in case others were wondering. I am so anxious to get up there I can hardly take it. I have been hitting area lakes, but it just is not the millelacs experience. If you are willing to bust your butt walking for some near shore fishing, you can enjoy some serious solitude this year, which is nice, but you just stand there wondering what is going on off shore and how nice it would be to get there safely. It won't be long and we are all going to get what we need!

I knew that Dave, didn't think it was directed at anyone at all. I was just mirroring your observations having fished the lake for 8 years! If you have a shack at Appeldoorns, we'll have to get together for a drink! I'm still hoping to have a hangover this time next week in my shack! Hoping we might be out a little ways at least.

Ryan_V,

I've got a cabin off of big point. I usually have my house pulled out by a resort nearby. I hear ya on the drink tho. I've been off of the sauce for 3 years and it sure makes the slow times between bites quite boring! I may come over and pay you a visit and have a cold coke instead! Paul has a great business over there and his reputation is stellar, so I may have to have a chat with him when I get a chance too.

Todays story is slush, slush and more slush. We have been scraping it aside as best we can and our plan is to let it set up tonight and tomorrow. Hopefully the impending snowfall will not bring too much more. If all goes well I anticipate having rentals out starting on Friday the 27th.

We have finally started to make some progress. We were able to get alot of the slush pushed aside and get some flooding done. We are going to let it sit up overnight and see what happens. We are now seeing 9.5 inches of ice so we will have to clear out areas and let them set up for a couple of days before setting a house on them. We will keep updating daily.

I saw thing a little different, Not plowing roads covered in slush but pulling a weighted sled to pack it down. Making the slush freeze cuts out the insulation part of the snow. you may not be able to drive on it for a few days. But can save trying to push the heavy slush.

Hopefully the warm weather settled the snow some. We should be putting ice down now! It is beyond cold for a few days now! We are at least moving in the right direction.

I heard its so cold Pauls shoes froze to the floor boards in his plow truck. He had to slip his feet out of his shoes to go eat dinner. laugh

I heard its so cold Pauls shoes froze to the floor boards in his plow truck. He had to slip his feet out of his shoes to go eat dinner. laugh

Now that's funny!

Any updates out of appeldorns?

Yes, on Facebook. Sounds like a no go for the weekend, at least for privates. Mess up there!

Will be coming up to stay in a sleep house out of Sunset Bay. Any updates on the ice conditions? Thanks in advance

Give them a call mrth, they'll fill you in on what's going on. Changes by the day/hour! Are you heading up this weekend? I am hoping to be up there in my shack this weekend if it gets out. Maybe car pool? I'm from Glencoe.

I know that they posted a picture yesterday where one of their plow trucks had actually gone through the ice trying to get out to 2 mile. It wasn't anything serious, just a wheel, but it kinda gives you a hint as to what to expect. Though with this colder weather we are having, I would have to imagine that things must be improving. I too have a rental for next weekend up there and PRAY that at least the fishing is half way decent.

Ryan we will have to share some ice time up there. I too have my house out of appeldoorns. live in Belle Plaine and pretty much go every weekend