• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

OSV vs. AQUA-VU Please help

Wa1eye

Question

I have now seen an Aqua vu on Many lakes including Marion, URL and LOW. A friend says he is going to get an OSV has anyone used an OSV and if so could they give me info or a comparison. I am really anxious to find more information about these from people or a web link to compare them side by side. OPlease Please Please Help and thank you. If i find out good informatioon i may have a brand new Aqua Vu for sale.

25 answers to this question

Do some research and it won't take you long to find out the OVS cameras are far superior. It all starts with the construction. The OVS cameras come with a nice soft sided carrying case that protect the connections from breaking (major negative with the aqua-vu).

MarCum technologies is coming out with a new line of VS cameras. Before you purchase check these out. The VS 460 should be in stores soon, the 560 will be awhile yet. But, before I bought anything new I would check into the latest technology in underwater viewing.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
(320)293-3287
www.millelacsguideservice.com

[This message has been edited by Scott Steil (edited 02-18-2004).]

Is anyone going to add to this maybe an AquaVu owner or rep from Nature view. I value the comment made before but just want all my ducks in a row considering its about fishing and that makes it mportand(Not like My job and stuff)

I have used both of them and it is honestly a tough decision. The Aqua-Vu does seem a little more fragile but I haven't had any come back to me yet. Most of the Aquas do come with a padded carrying case for transport which should prevent most damage. I also like Aqua-Vu's sun shield a lot more, it is very easy to block out the sun. This is a big plus if you are going to use it outside a lot especially in the summer. I am anxiously waiting to see the new OVS to see if they are all they're talked up to be. It's almost a Ford vs Chevy thing in my opinion.

My 2 cents

Tom

[This message has been edited by 169Sportsman (edited 02-18-2004).]

Tom thank you, I did also here since the post that the OVS has a telescoping shield that is not as user friendly. has anyone seen the VS560 yet? I guess my main question is the Camera and how the view is is stained, deep or dirty water and also the angle of view if anyone knows.

I own a Aqua-Vu and I have also used a OVS. The OVS is better in the winter in my opinion. But in the summer I'll take the Aqua-Vu any day. Personally, I don't like the soft pack of the OVS. I've been really hard on my Aqua-Vu and that thing is bullet proof. As for picture, they are pretty much the same. One doesn't see any further than the other. Like Tom said, its like a Chevy versus Ford kinda deal. I know people who would never part with their OVS, and I know people who would never part with their Aqua-Vu.

I am biased....Ford! grin.gif

I did my homework before I approached MarCum about being on their Pro Staff. I have had a Aqua vu cameras in the past and two of them went back due to broken connectors. Maybe they have a better design now, but as I said, I did my homework.

There are very few tournaments I don't use my underwater camera in search of fish and structure. I think the OVS cameras are as good as any year around. I have tried both.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
(320)293-3287

The OVS 560 will be one awesome camera. It will set the new standard with all of the latest and greatest features. Panning camera head, directional indicator, much improved lighting system, and more... I own an Aqua-vu currently, but will be switching to the OVS 560 when available. Nothing wrong with the Aqua-vu line of cameras, but the new MarCum line gives you much more advanced features for your money. You might want to consider waiting for the OVS 560, if you want the latest and greatest.

It is true you can get an occasional broken connector with the Aqua-Vu's. That is why we tell people to disconnect it before they throw the camera in the case or stick it in storage. It takes less than a second and it can make a whole lot of difference.

But as far as OVS vs. Aqua-Vu it is a Chevy-Ford comparison. They are both good units in there own. OVS is a nice system with everything internal. But Aqua-Vu has been around first and was the forerunner for the product category. Aqua-Vu has a daylight viewable system, yes it's with the sunshield but it's actually daylight viewable. But of course the choice is always up to the consumer. Let me know if there are any questions I can help with.

Also, as far as visibility the general rule of thumb is that we use with our Aqua-Vu's is that in daylight viewing conditions the camera will be able to roughly double the range you have when looking into the water. So if you can watch your jig go down 4 feet and then it disappears you can expect around 6-10 feet of visibility with the camera. Of course this can all change if you are sitting in a 60 foot hole.

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

Ive got a OVS 500, and I love it. The sun shade does not quite cut it, but I dont really care for that 9 mile long aqua view one either. As far as Ford and Chevy go...
most definatly, NOT Ford.

I also had the OVS500, and have used the Aqua View. The major thing I liked with the OVS, was the icearm that enabled you to pan the camera from the unit, instead of turning the cord like the aqua view.
I usually set mine up between my main hole and my tip up, and then I could watch both without getting out of my chair.
I am definitely going with the OVS560 when it hits the market.
OVS is also much less cumbersome than the Aqua View in my opinion, take it for what it's worth, cause I wouldn't buy a ford either. grin.gif
Guess I'll edit this before I take a hit. AquaView does have the motorized system, but it doesn't look cheap. Go to the websites and look at em all, then decide what you can afford. The new systems coming out are making me think I need a new toy. smile.gif

------------------
Takin it easy! & if it’s easy, I’ll take it twice!

[This message has been edited by sandman469ss (edited 02-21-2004).]

Ok I am still undecided on the cameras but i am, with help from all of you going to buy a new Chevy, I think that the information you all provided does help. I will buy the Aqua-Vu and my friend will buy the OVS maybe we will have some fun with this and check out the side by side comparison and provide even more information for future shoppers.

Thank you all so much for your help with this

I used the OVS 460 this weekend. If you haven't purchased a camera yet, I would check into this camera. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

It is the same as the 560 minus a few options.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
(320)293-3287

Scott,

Did you fish with a OVS 460 prototype or a production unit? Are they getting ready to ship finally?

I just closed down my fish house for the season. It would be ironic, if they are available in the next couple weeks.

B

Thanks Scott. I have some experience in new product development and I know how difficult it can be to find the bugs pre-market. Kudos to MarCum if they can find them before the consumer does.

Do you know if the unit comes with a cigarette lighter adapter? Both my boat and fishhouse are well suited to supply power via these ports. I'd like it if I could go cigarette lighter out of the unit, and right into my supply. Those little 7 amp hour batteries just don't do it for underwater cameras.

B

Scott,
How was the camera rotation. Was it smooth or kinda jumpy. Did it stop where you wanted it to?
How about the new lighting?

------------------

It was a prototype. We were giving it a work-over on the ice. Everything was working just fine and we couldn't find any issues with it. I would imagine they should be ready in the next few weeks.

I give MarCum credit, they are trying hard to make sure all the bugs are worked out before they introduce them to market.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
(320)293-3287

The camera worked flawlessly. It rotates very smooth and the picture does not jump or wiggle. There was a lot of thought put into that camera design. It is balanced perfectly and comes with a built in fin for open water. I know I have talked about the lighting system before but I think the new lighting design is really going to work well.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
(320)293-3287

Aqua view has a new camera coming out called the MAV. Looks like it is designed for boats. Has a foot control for raising it up and down and a ten inch monitor.

But they only say it raises and lowers it, nothing about panning it. You can use the other camera's on a boat too, it's just really hard to see the screen in the sunlight, even with the shield.
I used my OVS 500 on the deck of the boat at night, and it worked great.
I found one thing, the more gadgets you have to play with on the boat, the less fishing you do. That's why I stopped taking women along. grin.gif

My mind is made up, another OVS as soon as the 560 hits the shelf. Too bad it won't be in time for the rest of the ice season.

------------------

[This message has been edited by sandman469ss (edited 02-24-2004).]

Scott S.
What was the picture quality/range with the OVS 460 proto, in stained water? (ie. LOTW)

[This message has been edited by JIGLFIN (edited 03-02-2004).]

[This message has been edited by JIGLFIN (edited 03-02-2004).]

I'd like to know if anybody has had both cameras on the ice at the same time and compared the lighting systems. My buddy has a plain aqua-vu with no lights. It seems that when the fish start biting at dusk his camera is rendered useless. I'd like to set up the aqua-vu and OVS with it's new lighting and point both cameras at each other and see the actual difference.