• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hillman's Highway

luckydog25

I just got off the phone with Buddy Hillman and he told me to pass the word on to everyone that they are open as of today for foot traffic and 4 wheelers. He said he has the road staked out to 2.5 miles and there is at least 7 inches of ice everywhere he has checked along his road. He sent me a picture of some really fishy looking rough ice at 2 miles out.

He said the water clarity is getting a lot better as they have had ice on the east shore for a while. The few guys that have been out have been putting fish on the ice. He said it's getting better each day as the water clears up.

The first break out of Hillmans is only about 400 yards out, no need to go out 2.5 miles if you don't want to he said. Also, make sure you ask in the store if there are any areas to avoid, it is still early ice.

Went out of Hillman's Saturday and absolutely pounded the walleyes. Started out in about 7ft of water around 8:30am and had our limit in about 45 minutes. Around 11am we moved out closer to 9ft or so and marked fish a bit more consistantly than we had in the shallower water. From about 11am-3:30pm I don't think I ever had more than a minute or two where there wasn't a fish on my Vexilar screen. Overall, between the two of us, we caught somewhere around 50 walleyes from 16"-21". Had a bonus northern, maybe 27" or so, that provided a bit of entertainment as well. Gotta love the annual early season tune up on Red Lake. The sheer numbers of walleyes in that lake is astounding.

Seemed like there was a good 7"+ of ice wherever we drilled.

Rube-Pics or it didn't happen! Lol

No it sounds like a blast. Sometimes you get blessed and set up in the right place at the right time. I went out Saturday at the last minute. Was set up and fishing by 4pm. Got three, had one throwback, and a few sniffers. Like most on here I did not catch any jigging anything. They only went to the deadstick. Had I planned things better I would have moved out deeper and to a less busy area. I went straight out on Hillmens and set up in line with everyone else. Big mistake I then had to contend with traffic zipping by every few minutes. But still nice to be out.

I fished both days on the weekend, saw the crowds outta Hillmans/WW and decided to set up a little deeper on the other side of the river mouth. Fished 12-4 on sat and 7-11 sunday am., did about the same both days...easy enough limit, maybe a dozen fish each day. All jigging...had one hit on a deadstick. some big fish...21,22, lost one right below the ice that was a size bigger for sure. Even had to keep a couple 18's as eaters, when I'd rather have 16's. And one 35" pike just to make things interesting:) Poor, poor timing for this snow...gonna hurt us all season I'm afraid.

Talked to Buddy last night, he said there is still 9 inches of ice off of Hillmans road. Wheeler traffic is possible, but bring sleds if you got em. The cold hasn't slowed the bite down, still pounding the walleyes. He is hoping to start getting the road cleared off this week. He said he will call or text me as soon as he knows when they will be ready for trucks or light sleepers. I will post here for everyone as soon as he gives me the thumbs up. If I know buddy he is chomping at the bit to get the road cleared so it can build ice.

Any word of the road or ice conditions around the highway? Is it plowed, and if so, how far out is it? Thanks!

Buddy plowed out a little ways last week. Scary but he got the snow off the start of the main road. It had a few good nights of freezing down and he started letting vehicles out Friday. There weren't any problems this weekend that I heard of. He is letting LIGHT vehicles and wheelhouses out about 1/2 mile. The last I talked to him he wanted all vehicles to stay on plowed areas.

The ice is still a ways away from vehicles heading out to where a plow has not cleared the snow and let it freeze down a few days.

Buddy is letting vehicles out to about 1 mile now. Absolute brutal and dangerous conditions for making a road. Slush areas all over and very iffy ice under the slush. I am amazed that he has made it out as far as he has. I watched the first 300 yards when he first started and and I did not think he could make it any further. One pass with a V-Plow and the plow bank breaks down through the ice immediately. Buddy has been freezing down short sections at a time with his wheeler, letting it freeze and then using a straight plow. Anybody that ever wants to complain about a road fee should watch Buddy struggle across the lake.

I just talked with Buddy, and not much to add from what Kelly said. He said half ton trucks and smaller are ok, double check at the store before you go out though. His road is 1 mile out right now, but he plans to work on it tomorrow. It can change fast so call or ask when you get your road pass. He said fishing was very good for the most part, but a couple of groups struggled. Sounded like they weren't the early rising type...

Went out of Hillmans this past weekend. Took the sleds out and the farthest we ventured was 1.5 miles. On saturday at 1.5 miles out we recorded 9.5 in. It does get slushy in spots and when we drilled holes u just get flooded in, but it wasnt too bad. Yesterday he was out plowin roads most of the day on/off the main road.

Buddy is letting vehicles out to about 1 mile now. Absolute brutal and dangerous conditions for making a road. Slush areas all over and very iffy ice under the slush. I am amazed that he has made it out as far as he has. I watched the first 300 yards when he first started and and I did not think he could make it any further. One pass with a V-Plow and the plow bank breaks down through the ice immediately. Buddy has been freezing down short sections at a time with his wheeler, letting it freeze and then using a straight plow. Anybody that ever wants to complain about a road fee should watch Buddy struggle across the lake.

Road fees are a bargain for us weekend warriors. Nobody does it like Buddy Hillman. Thanks for all you guys do for us! It's easy to forget how much time, money and effort go into the ice roads!

Update from Buddy, he just texted me. He is plowed out to 1.8 miles as of tonight. Says the snow is getting deeper the further out he goes. He had 3 groups that did really good in the middle of the night.

Anyone have an update on the road situation? A buddy and I are planning on heading up Friday morning staying until Monday. Wondering how is travel and what type of vehicles/houses they will be letting off? Fishing, the good bad or ugly any info helps. Thanks

Just talked to Bud. He made it out to 2.5 miles today. Said he hopes to be able let people out that far this weekend. He said the majority of people have been doing better at night than during the day the couple of days. He had one house that really pounded them yesterday during the day, otherwise it's been more consistent at night. Make sure to check with them at the store for the current conditions when you get your road pass.

Boy that is the truth. With the costs to open roads and then keep them open, noone should ever complain about a road pass.

We would not be fishing if these people did not open roads unless it was all sled traffic.

He has been letting half tons out since last Friday. He is hoping to let them out to 2.5 miles by the weekend if all goes well. I will post as soon as he lets me know what the plan is.

Cool, I had thought I heard the JR's and Mort's were the only ones letting small trucks and wheel houses out. Good for us as we are heading up Friday morning. I read today that JR's shut his road to wheel houses and was starting to figure out plan B.

1/2 tons and smaller wheel houses are ok out to 1.5 miles. Do not cross where the cones are at the end of the road,they are either working on the road or letting it freeze down after plowing. GO SLOW! 5-10 mph, it's early ice and you will crack it up by going to fast, not to mention it's dangerous for you. Also back your houses to the north as always (the snow is plowed to the south and it's sinks) and try and get it off the road a bit even 100 feet. The snow pack on the north side of the road isn't to bad, and there are some spots plowed to park in. Check in at the store to get the latest info when you get your road pass. The conditions change rapidly. Be safe and use your melon.

This comes directly from Buddy 10 minutes ago.

By "smaller" wheelhouse, I'm guessing you mean something like a 6x14 & smaller? We have an 8X16...small compared to some of the beasts you see nowdays, but not exactly light. We're itching to get out there, but definitely better safe than sorry.