• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rooster Reports

Arago

Been out a couple times since deer season ended. Flushing some hens. Roosters seem a lot smarter now. But those dumb ones sure tasted good. wink More hunters, too. frown

I went on Friday. Started at 9, and was done by 11am. When I shot the second bird I was about a mile and a half from the truck. On the walk back I could have shot 4 or 5 more. I got back to the truck at 1145. In 2hrs and 45mins I saw 27 birds. It was unbelievable. The birds were holding tight too. It was a piece of public land I had never hunted before. I can't wait to try it again. Up until Friday it had been a pretty slow season for me.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Me and a buddy were out today and got our 4 by noon with no problem. We hunted west central mn public land. We saw a lot of birds saw a total of 11 roosters and 16 hens key was to hunt the ditchlines and willow thickets adjacent to picked cornfields. Defiantely going again this weekend love this time of yr!!!

We had ten roosters for five guys today in the far southwest corner. Walked mainly waterways running through harvested fields. Saw at least twenty five roosters some of which were pretty wild. Good day considering how breezy it was.

I went out again today and was done by 1030. Its fun to get my 2 birds, but part of me wishes it took a little longer to get them.

Got the only rooster I saw yesterday in about 3 hours of hunting. Flushed some hens, too. Most hunters I've seen since opener.

Shot five more roosters this morning for four guys and one dog. Had to quit at noon. Just a beautiful day to chase roosters.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

123fish I have to strongly agree the weather today was Awesome. Days like these chaseing roosters is tough to beat and the plus side was I got a limit and saw 5 other roosters again! grin

We got our 3 person limit in a couple hours on one piece of property today. Plus i [PoorWordUsage] my pants when a big doe jumped up about 5 feet from me when walking threw the cattails.

stretch-the same thing happened to me....big doe...cattails...5 feet coming at me. That was an adrenaline spike!

Got my 2 roosters in about 2-3 hours. Saw 18 birds total.

dad got back from ND left sunday came back yesterday. weather was really bad. headed home early. got a couple. nothing to brag about on here though!:)

Oh i hear ya on that cody. I had to even ask my buddy if he had a extra pair of underwear after that.

Went out tonight for a half hour and my gsp pointed 5 hens. It was pretty neat seeing how tight they held.

Had a pretty good weekend of rooster hunting in the red willows and cattails. Shot two and stonebricked another one that fell in the cattails and I couldn't find on Saturday. In between dogs right now. Shot three today. All in the above mentioned cover. Saw at least twenty five roosters in the last two days although most of them were out of range. All five were young of the year birds including a real pipsqueak today who had to have been born around the first of August. There are birds out there you just have to bust hump to find them.

Hit 2 public spots this morning and - for first time all season - didn't see a bird. Saw some tracks and dog got hot a few times, but nothing. Swamps/cattail sure gave me and the dog a workout. Oh well. Can't complain that it took until mid-December to not see a bird....in the season of no birds. smirk

Hunted ND last weekend. High was -9. started hunting when it was -21. TONS of birds. Absolutely stunning. 2 days saw ... I dunno...1500? 2000? 6 guys 32 birds in the bag.

more MN hunting to come....this is the best time of year for hunting pheasants in my book!

Hunted ND last weekend. High was -9. started hunting when it was -21. TONS of birds. Absolutely stunning. 2 days saw ... I dunno...1500? 2000? 6 guys 32 birds in the bag.

more MN hunting to come....this is the best time of year for hunting pheasants in my book!

I'm guess you were in Western ND if you saw that many.

Left metro at just after 7am headed west. Should have hit prime time somewhere to see grove birds, open field birds or gravel scratchers. I29 was in view when I saw first bird. Did see 3 tiling crews working and numerous yards with tile stockpiled waiting for crews.

Lots of MN plates on the backroads today. Add in the sconny plates and the locals are out numbered. Need to scratch out 3 more on my way to the border but not optimistic with all the traffic.

Headscratcher of the trip. Pile of tile waiting for install crew. What's with the irrigation system it's sitting under?

Made out yesterday towards Marshall. Hit a large WMA and the dog and I headed straight for the cat tails. Hard hunting but saw about 50 or more birds. Only one hen sat for a point. Rest would bust out out of range. Saw out 10 roosters and couldnt tell on others. Saw a bunch of roosters in tree rows on private ground. Been a pretty good year in all. Was hoping late season would have been better but I cant get any to hold. Saw quite a few people out and some road hunters. With the way they were running I imagine most birds were safe. I needed to have a few more people and blockers to have a chance. Hopefully everyone has had a good year and the winter eases up. I also saw a lot of tile waiting to be put in. Sad.

Headscratcher of the trip. Pile of tile waiting for install crew. What's with the irrigation system it's sitting under?

It’s called 'water management', run the water off in the spring or after a heavy rain and then irrigate when its dry - makes sense doesn't it??!

The tiles are for draining wet lands/making more tillable ground so more corn can be planted.

Wife's uncle is going hog wild on his place in ND with tile. Cattail sloughs are disappearing.....by the hundreds across the State.

3 guys and 2 little (nonhunting) boys made it out on Saturday. In 2 hours of hunting, we saw about 40 and got 7. These next two weeks are gonna be fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody must be getting out these days eh? Not one post since my last post.

Well a friend of mine came up for a long planned pheasant hunt today. OHMYGOSH, I have never had a hunt as physically tough as this hunt. We hunted fields, we hunted willows and then we hit the cattails. The snow was nipple high on me in the cattails and you had to just plow through them with no trails to walk on. Then we donned snowshoes and ran a ditch and some more willows. I spooked a bald eagle eating a pheasant and it took off with the pheasant. Didnt mean to, but I didnt see it until it took off. I was taking a picture of the marks in the snow that the eagle left while trying to get airborne with the pheasant and right in the middle of it, a rooster got up. Oh well. We ended up with 4 roosters which is a great hunt for this time of year in deep snow.

Took 8 today should have had 11 or 12 total. Fun hunt in the snow. We were out west and quit at 3 when the weather turned nasty.