• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

ICE!

No surprise but found a few fishing Elk lake yesterday and a couple brave souls out on Briggs in some hub houses...

JP

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick G

• Horseshoe_Don

• JeremyCampbell

• pushbutton

We did not gain any ice today. But we should in the next 48 hours. I am targeting wednesday evening in my december wally spot. Should be 4" there by then.

I am doubting any of the good cat spots that I know of will be ready this weekend. None of them are even close to being safe.

I will go out on the lake and scout again tomorrow and give a report.

Be safe.

Don

Was just out with the little wheeler and by foot checking ice. It is not safe. I went along the shoreline with the wheeler and broke through(I stayed in less than 2 ft of water). Areas that I assumed would be safe were not. Only a few really good areas.

If you do not know this lake I would recommend you stay off until its safe.

Best Ice I found was just under 3"

worst ice I found was open water at winter access

I will keep posting through the weekend.

Don

Don really appreciate the updates i was at a hso catfish get together last year. what a blast i'll wait till i can drive but its good to know thanks brent

Was just out with the little wheeler and by foot checking ice. It is not safe. I went along the shoreline with the wheeler and broke through(I stayed in less than 2 ft of water). Areas that I assumed would be safe were not. Only a few really good areas.

If you do not know this lake I would recommend you stay off until its safe.

Best Ice I found was just under 3"

worst ice I found was open water at winter access

I will keep posting through the weekend.

Don

Thanks, Don smile your updates are greatly appreciated! I also highlighted some of the best advice that can be given wink

Since there are several lakes listed in this thread, maybe it could be clarified what lakes people are talking about.

It's ok , Don. Most of us just figure that you are giving a report for the Shoe wink Heck, have you ever even given a report for somewhere that wasn't on the Chain?

Btw, how the new knees feeling?

Almost forgot about my own ice report grinWent and looked at Julia, 3-4 in of ice 50 yes off the access. One lone guy out by where the ski jump is in the summer.

Checked on Elk too, a little less ice than Julia and some areas look like they froze later than others.

Briggs had about the same amount of ice as Julia, there looked to be a few people on the lake after dark.

Quote:
It's ok , Don. Most of us just figure that you are giving a report for the Shoe wink Heck, have you ever even given a report for somewhere that wasn't on the Chain?

I drove by rice lake on monday and it was ice covered. Koronis was mostly open.

Quote:
Btw, how the new knees feeling?

My knees are doing great. Right leg is 100% and left is about 90%. For those that don't know I had both replaced last spring.

I was one of three houses on Shoe yesterday.

I will give an ice report later this morning.

Don

Quote:
Both knees replaced at the same time? Brave soul! Good to hear things are going well!

7 Weeks apart. Both at the same time is crazy and would make rehab very difficult.

Not that I plan on going anytime soon but how does the public get on horseshoe anyway? I only saw one access up north where it connects to another lake on the navionics map.

If you keep going south on hwy 22 that is where you will find a winter access for both Horseshoe and Cedar Island lakes. It might not be easy to find until we get more ice and is started to be used more, but both lakes butt right up to the road there. I'd be glad to show you sometime.

Just got back from checking the ice on several spots. I found we gained about 1" of ice the last 24 hours. The thickest I found was 4" and the thinnest was 2" excluding the winter access which is less than 1" along a large portion of the 22 shoreline.

The best spots are still dangerous to get to unless your as light as Rick G. I can drive my big wheeler on most shorelines, but like I said not 22, where I broke through with my little one yesterday.

I would stay away from the meth hole area and the big island on shoe.

Becker has a house on it and would assume is fine.

The west side of cedar island from the winder access looked good.(not sure how far as it was wind protected there.

All bait stores were still out as of 10am.

I will be out tonight, not sure where yet?

If you don't know shoe be very careful the ice can change quickly as I have observed.

For Dtro I was on Horseshoe.

Don

Not that I plan on going anytime soon but how does the public get on horseshoe anyway? I only saw one access up north where it connects to another lake on the navionics map.
coolcats.jpg

Jeremy, use the winter access, do not use the DNR access in the winter The only exception to this is when you access Becker, the DNR access is the only way to get out there.

Thanks guys,Looks like a four wheeler lake.I need some exercise anyways.It might not be as bad hike as it looks or maybe it is.lol

From the Meth hole to the winter access is a good distance. When the ice isn't snow covered it isn't too bad I hear wink You could also try asking one of the homeowners out there if you can use their property to access the lake... Almost everybody that lives on the Chain are pretty friendly , I have gained access to quite a few good early ice spots over the years by knocking on doors smile

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Jeremy as Rick stated don't be afraid to knock on some doors to gain closer access. Alot of people are very willing to grant access especially if your after cats! It seems to a lot of locals they are considered pests or in some eyes a roughfish and they would like to see the population thinned out a little.

Thanks for the info all.Went out after early dinner and drilled almost 20 holes.The ice was around 4"-5" on watab/Rossier.Nothing really came on the flasher except a few curious one's under the power lines off the access.

This is probably my last ice post unless it gets worse. I found between 3-6" throughout the lake. The middle of the lake has 3 goood inches and I was able to take my heavy wheeler around on the shoreline without any problems.

I would assume you would be able to get to any spot on foot safely and some by wheeler if it not too heavy.

I have not been to the meth hole area but I can assume it is the same as the middle by me since they froze over at the same time. There is 3" there.

Don

People were out on Grand today, I went out on Pearl 5 inches of ice out there. I saw a 4 wheeler on both lakes. To early for that I would say. Stay safe