• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Here's a shock: Mauer to First Base

DonBo

Minneapolis -- The Minnesota Twins will move All-Star catcher Joe Mauer from behind the plate to first base next season, the team announced Monday.

After consultation with doctors from the Mayo Clinic and team doctors, and given the inherent risks of future injury at the catcher position, the organization and Mauer said they determined that it would be in the best interest of both parties for a position change.

The 2013 American League Silver Slugger winner hit .324 with 11 home runs and 47 RBIs in 113 games this year, but suffered a concussion on a foul tip off his mask on Aug. 19. He was placed on the seven-day concussion disabled list on Aug. 20 and did not return to action.

Mauer is symptom-free from the concussion and beginning his regular offseason workouts with no restrictions. He has played 56 career games at first base, committing four errors in 536 total chances for a .993 fielding percentage. Mauer has caught in 920 games and earned three Rawlings Gold Glove Awards as a catcher (2008-10). He was named the AL MVP while winning his third batting title in 2009 and has made six trips to the All-Star Game, four as the AL's starting catcher.

Likely will be the big man's last silver slugger award this year... probably wont win any more gold gloves either at first. I wonder who will replace him behind the plate for next season, or does it really even matter smirk

In the long run, it will probably work out better for Joe and the team. First isn't nearly as taxing on the body as being a catcher.

I predict, if he stays at first the whole year, his power numbers will be improved over last season.

Thanks for digging those up, Dave. I was too lazy to do a search but I remembered there being some VERY sure people that there was no way they were doing anything with him other than catcher next year.

Well that is good we don't have to worry about Morneau coming back...Mauer will do great there and will definatley have a chance at some gold gloves at first and he will still hit with the best of them so a silver slugger award isn't out of the question either. Last I checked Miguel Cabrerra was still at 3rd right?

Instead of being the most overpaid catcher in baseball he is now the 2nd most overpaid 1st baseman behind Pujols were making progress laugh

Thanks for digging those up, Dave. I was too lazy to do a search but I remembered there being some VERY sure people that there was no way they were doing anything with him other than catcher next year.

I'm sure there were more but this is what I could find doing a very quick search.

Instead of being the most overpaid catcher in baseball he is now the 2nd most overpaid 1st baseman behind Pujols were making progress laugh

Wasn't the fact that he was playing catcher part of why many argued he wasn't overpaid? Thought the rationale was that catchers typically don't produce much offensively? At least playing 1b he should be in lineup most every game now.

It's a good thing gardy insisted he needed a closer a couple years ago and they got rid of Ramos.

• 3 months later...

56 games at first and no 1 has concern, I do he looked at times to have extra thumbs at times at first. Here's the ? I have, is he down in fort meyers helping our newest catchers ? If not he's a clown in my book, he better not be soaking up MN cold when he could be there helping out our future catching corp, is he there ? If not what a cheeseball. He only made a little over 63,000 dollars "today" and does daily ! Who could offer the most advice and suggestions to our catchers ? I would've been so proud of him if he's there maybe he is ?

Isn't it kind of early to start the Joe Mauer bashing? At least wait until the end of April when his average dips to .320 or so or wait until he starts the All Star Game at first base.

Good question on if he is there yet or not. He has a house in Fort Myers that I'm sure he has been at all Winter, so he isn't far away.

First baseman dont get to the all star game hitting 320 and 2 home runs. oopppsss, you may be right, every team gets one.

I dont think you need to wait, he will do fine at first, hit around 333, drive in about 70 and hit 10 hrs. But the kicker is he will be about 1/4 of the payroll at around 23 million. Is he worth that? NOT.

I just dont get why they dont put him at 3rd and find a big fat guy that can hit 30 home runs to play 1st. The man is maybe the Best athlete we ever produced and hes sitting at 1st. It kills me.

Honestly, he will do well at first I believe, he's just too good of an overall athlete not to, maybe a few lapses over the year that he might get tuned out as we slip 20 games out of first place etc. Many 1st baseman aren't as athletic as Joe or have the height and range that will save a few errors for sure plus as a catcher you develop a dig with that mitt now his mitt will be 3 times the size etc. He's never really failed and I think it does drive him and most guys really. The whole thing is so who cares really, his 1 rbi in postseason and .286 career ave. in the postseason might be it as I'm not sure he's still playing the next time we make the post-season. This upcoming season isn't about Joe really, it's about Buxton,Sano,Pinto and Hicks. Joe should be their biggest fan, he needs them to be ready and produce the sooner the better, then we need a pitcher or 2 that we know can be counted on, going into these seasons without even knowing who is getting the opening day ball usually means disaster. I imagine it's Nolasco for sure, Vance Worley had it last year, the season started the way it ended.

Unless Mauer takes a 90% pay cut, he'll be long retired by the time the twins make the post season again!

Unless Mauer takes a 90% pay cut, he'll be long retired by the time the twins make the post season again!

If an extra 20 grand would make a difference, then the Pohlads should bring the payroll up to the level it was the last time we made the post-season. Last year, there wasn't much worth spending money on for pitching, and I haven't kept track for this year. If we could sign one or two aces, the run production we had for the last two years could put us in the playoffs.

mainbutter hang on run production ? 1 or 2 aces ? So you're saying 1 ace could put us in ? I recall us blowing the strikeout record off the charts last year ? Our 1/2 innings took a wink and a nod and they were to commercial break. Well we gave 49 million to Nolasco and I forget the other guy was it Pelfrey ? 1 ace away ? An ace doesn't usually go 20-0 on the year, I'm printing out a shirt right now that says we're 1 ace away. Looked like Liriano was an ace for Pittsburgh so if we would've kept him ? JK, we stink in several areas of the game.