• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Roller vs Bunk trailer

Double Barrel

Question

I think this will probably be one of my last questions for the boat i'm trying to set up.
The outfitter said that the 1700 Angler fits really good on the roller trailer and works nice,but a couple of buddies said the rollers are a pain in the butt and they would go with the bunk trailer.I thought the roller trailer was the ticket? Any last suggestions? THANKS FOR THE HELP.

19 answers to this question

With that size boat I would definitely go with rollers. You'll be glad you did if we have another dry summer and the landings become shallow. Rollers work just fine and today's rollers require very little maintenance. Shorelandr trailers have worked very well for me in the past if you're contemplating different brands. Good Luck!

------------------
fish smarter, not harder

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I prefer a roller trailer. Theres quite a few lakes I fish were you wouldn't get a boat off a bunk trailer.

Ditto, around here this past season a bunk trailer would have been almost useless. A fre years ago KayDee trailers made a bunk trailer that had a line of rollers down the keel, just kook winch up to cable which raises boat off bunks, voila! best of both worlds, I dont know how it would work for loading tho, I'll stick with my rollers... Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387 home
701-261-9525 cell
[email protected]
N.P.A.A. 425
Quality Bait and Tackle, Detroit Lakes Mn
www.scenictackle.com
North Country Outdoors Radio 99.3 fm
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

I have an aluminum Ranger(strange but true) that is built on a Crestliner Fishhawk 1750 hull. The Ranger Trail, which is a bunk trailer is absolutely the best as far as loading and unloading goes. Everytime you put it on the trailer, it is on right- you can't put it on "wrong." I would assume that this is true for other bunk trailers. I think that my trailer sits a little lower than other bunks that I've seen, but I know for sure that it sits lower than similar hulls on a roller trailer so shallow water launches/landings aren't a real concern. Don't know if this helps, but...

------------------
"Let your conscience be your guide"

Another thing to contemplate, is on a bunk trailer, you have support for your boat just about along the whole bottom of the boat. On a roller trailer, the boat rests on 12-14 points. Just something a sales person pointed out to me last year at the boat show. Guess you should take it with a grain of salt though, I've got a 14 year old Grumman aluminum boat that's been on rollers, no holes wore through the bottom. But then again working 6-7 days a week in the summer, the boat gets towed to the lake about 5 miles from here about 4 times a year.

Lwn

i've had them both, bunks and rollers. love the rollers. its really hard to push a boat of bunks when its dry and and too shallow to float off. be carefull, dont release the crank rope till its in the water. the boat will roll off to the ground if the incline is too steep. a moment you will remeber for sometime.

I have both styles of trailers.My 17 foot Deep vee has a roller trailer.Its nice launching the boat, but when it comes to loading,the boat can roll down the trailer.I often leave the motor running and in gear to prevent this.Might be dangerous??
Also if you intend on traveling it will "tin can" the bottom of the hull after time.THis did indeed happen to my last aluminum deep vee,however it was an older boat.When you buy the boat and have a lifetime warranty,make sure that it will be honored if the boat is on a rolloer trailer.Not all manufacturers will!
My River Pro is on a bunk style trailer for the sole reason that it will not slide off the trailer when loading.I only need put about six inches of the back of the bunks to drive it on.It always loads perfectly and cannot be off.
If the water is shallow it can be tough to launch but have yet to have a problem even when fishing the low flows on the MN River this fall.That is to say at any launch where there was enough water to float the boat anyway. smile.gif

------------------
Minnesota River Guided Fishing
www.mnriverguidedfishing.com
[email protected]
NPAA #863

I run an 1800 Pro-V with a shorelander roller trailer. I can load/unload in very shallow water. The key to loading a roller trailer is not to back it in too deep. There are pros/cons to each but a roller will offer you a little more flexibility. I load/unload my boat 40+ times a year and it hasn't failed me yet.

Bunk trailers are typically used to provide more support the entire hull on bigger, heavier boats, as pointed out by LwnmwnMan2. The majority of aluminum boats the size you're talking about are put on roller trailers.

The key with roller trailers is to have as many rollers as possible, and to have rollers right under the transom (the back rollers should stick behind the boat slightly).

A few years ago there was a popular cheaper brand of roller trailer that had only 4 or 8 rollers near the stern, and no other supports except a keel roller by the bow. That type of set-up can cause a bend in the hull, which will then affect how your boat planes and runs at higher speeds. That's a bad deal.

Do not skimp on a boat trailer - it's not the place to try to save a few $$$.

Speaking of trailers, the shorelander and karavan seem to be the most wideley used by dealers. Any comment on whats the better of the two. Both, I believe, are roller type trailers. Also, I've seen some really good looking "custom" trailers made by Eagle and Rolco. The dealers who have them of course really push these as a major overall upgrade to your overall boat package. The ones who don't really emphasize the chipping and rusting that will occur over time. I really think those custom trailers complete the package. About a $500 upgrade. Any comments on these anybody?
Thanks

Go with a roller trailer. I have one and I love it. Its easy to load in shallow water, by yourself and takes very little time at the ramp.
I think with me and my dad the fastest we were was was less than 30 sec. He backed the trailer down I drove the boat on he hooked it up and drove out of the way. Short, simple and easy.
Never NEVER, unhook the boat from the trailer before its in the water. Last year I saw a brand new 17' crestliner, never seen the water yet, skid on the cement b/c they unhooked the boat before they got to the water. Wasnt a pretty site.

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300

I've just always preferred rollers, because on those shallow lakes you can always get the boat up.

We've had a tilt-bed bunk trailer for our 16 deep V Lund at the lake for year, and I converted it to a roller trailer last summer. Wayyyy better. grin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Got rid of my bunk for a roller two years ago. Best thing I ever did. I put 2500 miles a year on the trailer and notice no problems to the bottom of my boat.

Mine is a roller trailer also and though it unloads easily there are some instances where it will load cocked usually when one side of the trailer is lower in the water than the other I have no real experience with bunks at all so I don't know how much water you need under the boat to float it off.

I have had both. The bunk give the best support. The roller gives you the ease of loading/unloading in shallow water. I also had a early Shorelander Roller/Bunk with a 19 ft Glass boat.(could be best of both worlds) Again you should determine which type of boat launch you will be using.
If you are going to remote areas where shallow water is the issue then roller is the way to go. Be very carefull. Make sure that you go with a well know trailer name that has many rollers or a type roller/bunk if still made. The concern is that reaching the remote areas with an aluminum boat is that the roads are sometimes very rough where they could cause indentations at the point of roller contact.The more contact area, the better. As my personal preference: I have a glass boat and like the bunk design and do not use shallow water launces. Keep this in mind also: Usually boats spend most of their lifetime on the trailer. Do not try to go cheap on any trailer in quality and in carring capacity. Figure what you boat wil weigh with batteries, fuel, and gear. Then add a few more pound for future gear. Going cheap will only cause you to wind up paying more in the long run.

I'd have to agree with everyone else's comments... roller is the way to go if you fish a lot of low water accesses... but Bunk does support the boat better in the long run. I've also seen people purchase a bunk trailer when their boat is on a lift the majority of the season since the bunk trailer is a little cheaper...

marine_man

I had some cousins from Illinois borrow my uncle's boat when I was about 10. They were used to their heavy fiberglass boat on a bunk trailer. My uncle's boat was a 16' aluminum boat on a roller trailer. They also happened to forget to lift the motor when they were putting the boat in. Long story short, the boat flew off that trailer and ended up literally snapping the motor off the back of the boat. Motor landed fully submerged in the water for extra measure. Roller trailers are VERY easy to unload, as they found out that day!!

I agree, Roller trailer. Much easier to load/unload. I looked at a lot of trailers and went with a Trinity trailer. They are a smaller company in WI. The trailer was wider, had diamond tread walkways, metal fenders, lots of rollers, Fulton trailer wheel, fancy wheels, etc. I agree with a few others and spend a few extra bucks on the trailer. I looked at some of the big sellers and found that I could not even get in the boat when it was on land as the trailers had no walkways, cheap wheels and bearings, and the fenders were plastic. After having the Trinity trailer I would not buy any other or at least one that did not have the features that my trailer does.