• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cattin the Chain 2014

Is the Hwy. 22 winter access too steep to pull a trailer, and an atv, on and off the ice, later on, when it is safe to do so? ? It's been awhile since I fished the chain, on the ice, so refresh my memory. This is only going to be if I get there, and all the parking spots on the road shoulder are taken. I have to use motorized transportation this year, after just recently having surgery on my foot, to repair a fracture. Or am I better off leaving the atv at home, and just use the truck to get out there, when it's safe to do so?

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick G

• aanderud

• DTro

• Tom Sawyer

I've driven a truck and trailer onto horseshoe from 22, cedar island is a little steeper but guys still pull wheelhouses onto that side every year too

As the others have said, you'll have no trouble getting a trailer on the ice from the Hwy 22 access. If you look around a bit, you'll see the best opening onto the lake.

Had a pretty good group of guys out tonight. Saw some old friends and met a couple new ones too smile

The bite was rather funny this evening, didn't pick up our first cat until around 5pm, up until this we were getting a few smaller crappies. Once dark set in things changed. the crappies that were bothering us during the day were now hugging the bottom and my Vexilar lit up from 20-27ft with cats smile. The first few were tough to hook into, the were biting very light to start. As the evening wore on the fish became pretty aggressive. We had multiple doubles and even a triple or two. I only kept track of my own numbers, from 5-7pm I landed 26, missed countless fish and had a whole bunch get off. Hands down winner for me was the 1/16 green frostee tipped with a minnow head. full-26589-40111-009.jpg

full-26589-40112-014.jpg

full-26589-40113-016.jpg

full-26589-40114-012.jpg

full-26589-40115-026.jpg

full-26589-40116-025.jpg

Got a good mix of sizes tonight, everything from respectable to tiny all everywhere inbetween

Summer and I ended with around 15 for the 4 hours we fished, and missed a bunch more like always. Got bit as soon as we found the holes with the cats in them. Mustered up a few crappies also.

Rick, nice to see you again.

full-27424-40119-img_4551(copy).jpg

full-27424-40120-img_4567(copy).jpg

Brad, looks like you got a pretty nice one there. Good to hear Summer and You got into a few... They sure are fun.

It was a pretty good evening for the cats once you found a hole that was holding, moving just a few ft one direction or anther was the difference between constant action and getting just a few. Also switching colors till you find what they are liking is also very important.

It was a good night out there. My biggest fish of the evening was a just under 25 inches with a few others pretty close to that and caught 15-18 cats, as well as a few crappies, total.

Jesse and I were NOT on the fish, but there was definitely a preference for bites. Like often, a fresh glow was key for us...if the white meat didn't get sniffed for a minute after a glow, a fresh glow got us at least a whisker tickle (that's what she said).

Hey guys,

I was wondering what would be the closest access point to the meth hole? I'll be heading there on foot this Thursday and I haven't fished there before.

Thanks

Location, location , location wink. If you ain't pounding them it's time to move.

Yeah that's definitely the truth. There is more fish, and probably even larger schools, in the meth area. Although being such a large area makes it harder to find the fish. Punch lots of holes and look for active fish. The schools tend to mill around a fairly confined area, so staying over the best area then fine tuning what they want will put odds in your favor of being one of the guys screaming "Fish On!" all night.

You can't catch them if your not on top of them.

One thing last night I noticed the fish did prefer the Lindy Frosty over what I was showing them. I fished next to Rick (25' away) and was over the same school, but he was a lot louder than me. Must be the glow paint Lindy uses on there tackle that made the difference.

I know I'll be bringing a few more Lindy Frosty spoons out next time on the water.

"FISH ON!"

Great time last night guys! Lets meet up Friday night so we have more time to fish.

Maybe even set up a big fish pot.

Nice fish guys and gals!

You can have all those spoons you want.  I don’t want any part of anything with a treble hook. 

Easily the best jig I’ve used is the Glow Drop from JR’s.   it’s shaped well to get down there quick and has the best glow I’ve used and best of all, only one hook to deal with

Nice fish guys and gals!

You can have all those spoons you want.  I don’t want any part of anything with a treble hook. 

Easily the best jig I’ve used is the Glow Drop from JR’s.   it’s shaped well to get down there quick and has the best glow I’ve used and best of all, only one hook to deal with

I agree with the treble, that's why I use Demons or Forage Minnows (single hook), but I will check out the Glow Drop. Anything to try and keep Rick in check at least next time, LOL. They started on glow red, but we ended on glow green.

Thanks

Yeah, we definitely considered moving....but those hub houses make a guy pretty lazy. And I'm pretty lazy to begin with. smile

Hey guys,

I was wondering what would be the closest access point to the meth hole? I'll be heading there on foot this Thursday and I haven't fished there before.

Thanks

There is some parking South of the 22 bridge, this is about a 1/3 mile walk. Otherwise I have said this many, many times, knock on a door and ask if you can use their property. Be sure to mention you are after catfish to the home owner wink you will likely be welcomed with open arms.

Yeah, we definitely considered moving....but those hub houses make a guy pretty lazy. And I'm pretty lazy to begin with. smile

Then you need a "portable"!

FISH ON!!!!!!!!!

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Exactly Rick I don't know how many times it has been said but don't be afraid to ask some of the homeowners for permission to park and use there place for access. Mention your after cats and that you plan on takeing some home then Don't be surprised if they even offer to give you a ride out. grin Most of the locals that live out there really want to thin the population and I promise you they will grant permission.

I have second hand knowledge of a homeowner plowing a parking spot in their yard in anticipation of a fisherman coming up. :g

I have second hand knowledge of a homeowner plowing a parking spot in their yard in anticipation of a fisherman coming up. :g

I hope they do this for me. They're extremely nice people. They were VERY thankful the night I shoveled their driveway for them. I'd bend over backwards for a senior couple that appreciates it! I know I appreciate them letting me access the lake via their property.

Looks great guys.

Have been lurking here for a while now.

Reading,researching, reading more.

Wife and I moved up from TX two summers ago and miss cat fishing.

Well I believe we are going to head out there this Saturday Am.

With the tips y'all have provided us with.

Anyone going to be out there?

I'm bringing my red 04 Honda rancher and we have a clam big foot and my yellow lab. Stop by and say hi if you happen to see us out there looking lost.

One question.... Is there enough ice by now to handle the pregnant wife and 4 Wheeler loaded down?

I'll post a few TX cat pics soon

We used cut shad and bait shrimp down south.

Trees were everywhere in the lakes down there as well.

OK back to the thread.

If y'all see us out there on Sat stop by and say hello.

2011-06-28174856_zps6e2ba3d5.jpg

2012-03-29100716_zps4da7b2d5.jpg

Looks great guys.

Wife and I moved up from TX two summers ago and miss cat fishing.

Well I believe we are going to head out there this Saturday Am.

Well I think you found your place to fish! Welcome on the site. The weather will be nice Saturday so don't be afraid to move around a little bit..