• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cattin the Chain 2014

Just for safety for the thin ice, does any one have the coordinates of the "center" of the meth hole? Again just for safety reasons for people who are not aware of where it is.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick G

• aanderud

• DTro

• Horseshoe_Don

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Looking forward to defending my reign as 2013 Cool Cat Champ. I wish replacing my Avatar was as easy as catching that fish was...... full-44147-38708-avatar(2).jpg

So you want this as your new avatar?

Say so and it's done. smile

I figured it out a weird way, that by placing a pic on a post, clicking on photo, then pasteing that in add pic as avatar box works.

Just can't seem to get url's to work from Picasa, or other areas in my computer. Tons of cool shots to share with site.

Can you give me a link to learn more about posting personal pics, for both avatar's and in posts.

Thank you

Just for safety for the thin ice' date=' does any one have the coordinates of the "center" of the meth hole? Again just for [b']safety reasons for people who are not aware of where it is.

it moves around each year, but it I DID mark it on the Navionics phone app.

I figured it out a weird way' date=' that by placing a pic on a post, clicking on photo, then pasteing that in add pic as avatar box works.

Just can't seem to get url's to work from Picasa, or other areas in my computer. Tons of cool shots to share with site.

Can you give me a link to learn more about posting personal pics, for both avatar's and in posts.

Thank you [/quote']

Its a little dated, but try here

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1219014/How_to_post_pics_and_avatars_h#Post1219014

Well apparently, my ability to post any type of code or links has been taken away from me. I apologize for the post format. Hopefully you can figure it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Met up with traderlee and Jeremy out on the Chain for a few hrs this evening. Started fishing a soft bottom shoreline break in the 28-30 ft range. We popped a few holes in the area and started marking fish right away grin problem is most of the were crappies frown We worked this school over until prime time when I stated to get frustrated at my cat catch rate.

Off looking I went... I ended up finding a whole mess of cats just 40yds away from where the crappies where. I drilled a few holes in the 30-34 ft depth range, after settling into my chosen hole I had my first cat within moments grin For the next 2hrs we had plenty of fish come through, even had the tornado on the vex for a while wink I can't say fishing was bad, we did get 15-20 cats apiece between traderlee and myself, but we must have missed 100 eek The bite was pretty light and the average size ran small. Most of the ones we got were 18-20 in with a couple a little bigger. I did have one pretty good one on for a bit, but it came undone half way to the hole.

Tonight I was using the good old Frostee spoon in glow red, while traderlee was using the glow red Rattlin' Flyer spoon tipped with a minnow head. The only way to detect the bite was to have the Ice Buster bobber trimmed right to the water line, otherwise the bite couldn't be detected.

Ice conditions are decent-good. Were we were I found 5-6in, even out into the same basin the meth hole is in...

There looks to be a good size pressure ridge forming half way between the meth hole and the next shoreline to the west in the large basin.

There were a few others fishing the lake too today, for the most part everyone was fishing the traditional first ice locations.

Jeremy, too bad you had to skip out before the cats started... it was fun though smile

Here are some pics full-26589-39601-004.jpg

full-26589-39602-005.jpg

full-26589-39603-009.jpg

full-26589-39604-010.jpg

full-26589-39605-021.jpg

Nice report! I like how you mentioned that the cats can be merely 40 yards from where you are at any time -- so if you're not catching them, go drill more holes!

Was out for of the elusive wally this morning in front of the cabin on shoe. Could not get the wallys to bite but I did get a 4lb and a 6lb cat. The one in the picture is a 6lb cat. My tackle box in the background is 13" wide.

full-39463-39634-cat.jpg

Don

Most of us locals don't eat them smile but I'm sure a few will chime in to say they do... It's mostly the folks that come up from the metro that keep them. Please keep you limit of those 18-20in fish wink there are a ton of them in the system right now.

Nice fish, Don! I went and scoped out the ice on a local late today, not quite thick enough for me to feel comfortable out there. I may have to roll up that way tomorrow and see if I can ice something.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

As Rick stated please don't be afraid to keep some for a meal. Us local boys that chase the eyes on the chain would really appreciate it!! I am amazed how the population has exploded out there. Its almost impossible to not catch some there everywhere.

I soak them in milk, garlic, and black pepper for 5 hours then take them right from that mixture to a dry breading then the fryer. Its pretty good, but If I catch all the eyes I want then why eat cats?

Don

4 to 6 on the edges. 3-4 in the middle

Don

Thanks for the info Don... but I'm starting to think old kingfisher is trollin' wink

i love eating catfish plan on going out tomorrow was out the other day in the afternoon off the winter access get a walleye and a few crappies bucket fishing plan on going back out tomorrow i hope i can get into some catfish

and i also measured a constant 6 inchs in the bay didn't go out by the island though gonna give that until next weekend

That don't surprise me. It was one of the bigger ridges I have seen on this lake in quite a few years. The crack is going North to South and extends several hundred yards. It's located half way between the meth hole and the next shoreline to the SW.

Is this the same one you are talking about?

good thing i have plans fishing around there i'll stick to the bay by the winter access and long lake

The meth hole has at least 4" of ice and had a few holes drilled in it this morning when I went by there. Should be safe to go get the kitties now. I was there on my smaller 250 atv and it was fine.

Don