• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

65# or 74# thrust trolling motor?

Double Barrel

Question

Just bought a new Lund 1700 Angler, what would your preference be for a trolling motor? Thinking about a 24 volt 65# thrust. Is this plenty? Thanks,

21 answers to this question

Double Barrel

Great boat! Congradulations!

If you fish big water I would go with the 74# trolling motor. Depends on what your using it for but I feel that bigger is always better. It's better to have too much than wish you had more when you really need it.

Jeff S

As long as you are going with a 24 volt system. Bigger is almost always better. You can run the motor at lower setting for a longer time but you have extra power when needed.

I have a 1800 PROV IFS and have a 65# which has plenty of power can run all day easily and I use it on Leech Lake and it's sometimes rought conditions no problems ever. Make sure the shaft is long enough though. Power is useless if the prop keeps coming out of the water.If price is absolutely no object I guess the 74# is the best, but since for all of us price is an object I'd get the 65# which is more than enough.

It's funny that you posted this question. I have a 17' 2003 Angler with a F75 yam. tiller. I actually stopped into my dealer yesterday and asked them the exact same question.

The shortest shaft you should be looking at is 50". They recommended a min of 50 lbs. of thrust. The more thrust you go with the longer the shaft. I was talking 74+ lbs. and they suggested a 60" shaft.

They actually said that 50 or so pounds should be fine. I personally am going to max it out with 74 plus at 24 volts. Lund builds the boat to hold two deep cycles for the bow thrust so why not?!

65lb should be plenty for your boat. I had an 1800 fisherman that was pushing 2500lbs and my 65lb thrust had plenty of power. I never remember using it higher than the #5 power setting when trolling live bait, even in windy conditions. I did run it at 7-8 when trolling cranks and it would pull me at about 2.1mpg on my GPS. One thing to think about is whether to get the cable steered or electric steered type. The cable steered model which I believe is the 74lb, limits you to the front of the boat while trolling, while the powerdrive/autopilot typed lets you use the trolling motor from anywhere in the boat. I usually sat in the drivers seat and trolled in comfort while being closer to the rear of the boat which helps keep your line from going under the boat. Personally, I would never get another boat without the autopilot, it makes things so much simpler. Either way you decide, they will both have plenty of power. Just look at the advantages/disadvantages of both types of steering systems instead of the 9lb difference in thrust, which is very minimal. Enjoy your new boat, catch many fish in it, and be safe.

Fisherdog

I agree with the others. I have a boat that's a little bigger and heavier than yours, and have a 65 lb motor on a 60 inch shaft. I can only remember one time in 5 years that I needed more power. I'd suggest going with the more powerful motor if you can in case you need the power, but I think the 65 pound motor would be fine 99% of the time.

I also like the electric steer motors for walleye fishing as mentioned by one of the previous posters.

Good luck.

Have a 2004 1700 explorer with a 65# thrust.. Moves boat along great. Also have the universal sonar built in. Would recomend getting one with that built in. Kind of wish I had bought the one with the auto pilot built in... Wife said I had spent enough money... Get what you want lifes too short....

gtofast1, I also have a new 1700 Explorer with a 65lb autopilot. I just picked it up a few weeks ago so I haven't had a chance to use it. I was wondering what length shaft you have on yours. Mine came with a 54 inch shaft and I began to wonder if I should have went with the 60 inch. By the way, where did you get yours?

Go with the 74!!

Do you want to fish with your trolling motor on 75%+ power or 50% or less? Less draw on the batteries longer life of both battery and motor.

If you can afford it, go with the 74lb thrust. I have not heard anyone saying they "wish they had less power on the water." Sure, the 65 would be sufficient, but when you are in some strong wind, and need to get repositioned asap to the trolling line you are one, would be nice to kick it up a notch higher.

I dont think you should base the decision on the shaft length between the two either. When its in the water you can adjust the top head. stowing shouldnt be much of a problem either.

Like i said, is there such a thing as too much power?

As long as your going 24 V already you won't regret spending the extra $$ on the 74lbs thrust. I run a 1775 Pro V with a 74lb Vantage on the back and a 60" shaft 74lb on the front. Wouldn't even think about going any smaller.

I'd change your order back to the 60" That extra 6" is great when the waves are big and the bow is going up and down 4ft at a shot!!

]

[This message has been edited by Chris Haley (edited 02-12-2004).]

I'd switch to the longer shaft also. I made that mistake once and had to get the shaft extended. Very expensive and a big hassel. Spend the few extra bucks, you'll never go wrong with the best!

I would not have anything less than a 60 inch shaft. Have been on mille lacs in 3 to 4 footers and would hated to leave since we were pounding the walleyes. Power means nothing if you can not keep the blades in the water.

Well I went with the 74# .I ordered it with the 60 inch shaft,but after thinking about it I changed my mine to a 54 inch shaft. People said that 54 is plenty and I didn't want it to get in the way when i'm not using it.

Sorry Cart Fan for not writing sooner. 60 in shaft and 24 volt. Love it. also love the 115 Yamaha on the back. Have had the boat since last Aug. Bought at Crystal-Pierz.

I have a 65# and it tools my 24 ft pontoon around with speed and power. A great bass fishing rig.

SuddenlySummer:

Question for you... I too have a 2003 Lund Angler 1700 w/115 HP Four Stroke Yamaha. When I purchased it, it came packaged with a 12V 55LB Minnkota Power Drive. I added the co-pilot and will keep that but am looking to upgrade to a 74LB Power Drive this year and am wondering if there is anything I need to change as far as the receptacle(plug-in) goes? I currently have two 27 size batteries wired in parrallel to give me my 2 times the running time. I know that I will have to wire in series when I upgrade. Right now I beleive I only have one set of wires comming from the receptacle right now. (Do you have one set or two?) Do I need to purchase a different plug with 2 sets of wires (one for each battery) to accomplish the 24V system?

Any input you may be able to provide would be beneficial!

Thanks!

SUNNYD

[This message has been edited by SUNNYD (edited 02-23-2004).]

I have a Lund Angler 1700 as well and would go with the 60" shaft. I have a 54" 55lb Power Drive right now and when you get those 3-4 foot swells you will have that motor out of the water. That stated my next motor will be a 60" 74lb Power Drive. I have to stick with the PD's because I cannot imagine parting with my Co-Pilot... just like my television remote...can't live without it.

Take care!

SUNNYD

I haven't picked up my boat yet,but i think you will just have two set of wires. One going to pos. on one battery and the other going to neg. on the other battery.Then there s/b a jumper between the other pos. & neg. Then you should be alright just plugging in the trolling motor to your receptacle.