• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Waterfowl Photos

It was a great opener for my buddies and I. Saturday ended up being a bust hunted the morning and evening and never fired a shot. Sunday was a little different had a field that was holding about a 150 birds. Hiding was a little tricky it was a sweet corn field that was stock chopped and there was no way of digging down. Four of us ended up shooting 17.

untitled-2.jpg

That night about 75 birds went back to the same field. Then this morning we through out a few more decoys and the four of us ended up shooting are 20.

0905110938a1-1.jpg

We had the same thing on saturday. We never seen a bird. Checked on a couple spots where they were a month ago and they were stacked in there. Nothin better then when they 'maple leaf' down and light up in your face!

Could ya guys send a few our way, im huntin hugo and square lake, we maqnaged 2 for the weekend. Almost every bird we did see knew exactly where they were goin and never even gave us a second look.

We let a field rest until sunday night, benefit being pressure moved about 150 additional birds into it. Things didn't go as planned. Bad shooting, birds landing with the wind instead of into the wind, birds short stopping by 100-200 yards, blah blah. Oh well...shot some geese, shot some doves, and fed frogs to the walleyes on Monday morning. Going to do a taste test tomorrow night, shore lunch battered walleye versus mango habenjero marinated bacon wrapped goose on the grill. wink

Going to do a taste test tomorrow night, shore lunch battered walleye versus mango habenjero marinated bacon wrapped goose on the grill. wink

I would choose the goose. Man CSD that sounds really yummy and I will be trying that out on some waterfowl this year

A few pics of our early season opener.

full-31263-12100-sept3rd2011.jpg

And this weekend.

full-31263-12097-sept10hunt.jpg

full-31263-12098-sept11hunt.jpg

full-31263-12099-sept11huntjon.jpg

We earned our keep this weekend. All the locals left Lac qui parle, so it took a ton of scouting but we found them.

Well, I had probably the most memorable opener to date. For some reason, our party of four decided to break tradition and split up for the day. I'd gotten to the slough early and had set up before everyone else showed. One uncle went to the east, the other two hopped in their kayaks and shot out toward the other end of the water. I was kind of stuck in the middle. After they'd shot for a bit, I was getting a tad discouraged. Didn't help that the wind was out of the totally wrong direction. My pup was on his first legitimate duck hunt, and I was hoping just to get him on a retrieve or two.

Then, around 8 a.m. the ducks began dropping in. I shot my 6 in 30 minutes and Remy retrieved every one, including a beautiful almost fully green drake mallard that was sporting three curls already. I was proud!

Remy retrieving his first duck (hen redhead):

IMG_0816.jpg

Customary tailgate shot:

IMG_0817.jpg

We decided to switch things up for Sunday and hunt some flooded timber around a big lake. Uncles had seen "thousands of birds" there the night before, so we figured it was worth a shot (plus we'd have dry shore to sit on instead of standing in cattails and thigh-high muck). Long story short, the magnitute of birds failed to reappear. But we did do something a tad out of the norm by Nodak standards: we shot three drake woodies! It was a hoot, and my GWP made two more awesome retrieves. Just that made my weekend.

Arkansas-inspired Nodak flooded timer hunt:

IMG_0823.jpg

Remy's prize woody:

IMG_0826.jpg

Yeah, two of us shot 11 of these the last weekend of early goose, usually shoot a few of these every September when the first NW winds hit and cooler temps arrive. Also sometimes later in the fall but I prefer shooting big geese, although Cacklers are fun to call in especially big flocks and little dumber from my experience.

full-9846-12697-copyofcopyofimg_20110917

Noticed they are a bit slow. Shot the first one and missed the other and it came right back without hesitation.

Here one of the boy and the pup and this morning why would want to sleep in when you could have the chance of seeing this...full-15313-12747-tn1.jpg

full-15313-12748-imag0016.jpg

full-15313-12749-tn2.jpg

1/2 of my spread saturday morning; the other half was off to the left of the picture.

2011-10-01_08-12-13_18.jpg

• The topic was unlocked