• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Waterfowl Photos

hahah well had to eat a few ducks on thurs and friday so we didn't have overlimits all over the place smile

this is the second split, runs thru January 29. unfortunately I'll be out of the state from Dec 23rd thru Jan 16 - hope there's still birds around that late

Here is our latest Montana bounty from 12-11-2010 hunting the Warm Water Spring Canals along the Yellowstone River. The fridgid temps make it a perfect time to hunt along the warm water where all the greenheads come too.

Went out yesterday saw plenty of ducks but another party had their yellowlab runnng all over the place instead of being steady in the blind.

Me & My Griffons "Rudy" on the right & "Budweiser" on the left.

full-488-4408-dscn0564.jpg

Rudy & Bud with their bounty on a 15 degree day in MT.

Breaking the myth pointers can't waterfowl hunt when its cold!!!

full-488-4409-dscn0568.jpg

More photos to come as the season goes to Jan 14th!

Regards,

Chris

There's around 10,000 left on the refuge. I'm done guiding for the year, just been out on some fun hunts with the fellas. It has been pretty unbelievable.

Here is our latest Montana bounty from 12-11-2010 hunting the Warm Water Spring Canals along the Yellowstone River. The fridgid temps make it a perfect time to hunt along the warm water where all the greenheads come too.

Went out yesterday saw plenty of ducks but another party had their yellowlab runnng all over the place instead of being steady in the blind.

Me & My Griffons "Rudy" on the right & "Budweiser" on the left.

full-488-4408-dscn0564.jpg

Rudy & Bud with their bounty on a 15 degree day in MT.

Breaking the myth pointers can't waterfowl hunt when its cold!!!

full-488-4409-dscn0568.jpg

More photos to come as the season goes to Jan 14th!

Regards,

Chris

Chris - Can't remember the difference between Griffons and English Wire Hair's but beautiful dogs. Are they pretty good on both ducks and geese? My springer is great on pheasants, but now so much on waterfowl. She does just fine on ducks but won't touch geese. The main issue is the non stop whimpering as she sits in the pit, gets old after about 30 seconds. Want a great all around dog, but the pointing ability of these really intrigues me.

Thanks

Hey Maxxed out,

They are great both with Ducks & Geese. My dogs are trained to be versatile dogs so they will hunt all species of Upland Birds & all Waterfall. We have 2 Griffons & a young 6 month old English Setter.

The red Griffon with more furnishings on the left is "Bud" he is a rescue dog we found up near the Beartooth Wilderness this fall. He was very thin full of tape worms and starving to death so bad that he was eating barley & roadkill to survive. I'm guessing he is 10-12 months old right now. My point is that he & all the Wirehaired Pointing Griffons are very biddable when it comes to training.

My oldest on the right "Rudy" at 5 years is waterfowl crazy he has even learned to watch the sky with me when I'm calling in the blind and a time or two has shown me birds coming from other directions when I wasn 't looking. The rescue Griff is going to be a great dog also he has shown a great nose for upland, and suprisingly good so far in the Duck & Goose blinds. They are natural waterdogs so much it is hard to keep them out sometimes.

Here is Rudy with an action shot from last year on a goose retrieve:

full-488-4418-001.jpg

Gotta get going the temp is getting up above 10 deg hher in MT. Enough to get them out today for a little while on some pheasants!

Chris

last hunt before going home for the holidays... slim pickins, and zero wind, birds were just landing wherever they wanted to. sure hope there's birds around when I get back in mid-Jan

full-23483-4457-pc180288.jpg

"It's so cold make it stop!"

full-23483-4458-pc170284.jpg

Maxxed Out,

The Griffs are great family dogs. We have two boys 9 & 13 and the oldest Griff has been around for almost 6 years now. When we lived in MN we ran an In-Home Daycare and he was great around the kids. The are very dependent on being around the family & kids. If they can't be with you the get all bent. They are also really protective of the kids, if you try to mess with the boys or they think the kids are in trouble or harms way they will put themselves between who ever it is & the boys to protect them.

Sorry to get off topic guys. Will post more pics this weekend of waterfowling here MT. Getting out on Friday morning for more Greenheads and again on Sunday.

Merry Christmas All!

Regards,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple early season honker hunts. Before anyone says anything if there is 10 birds in the picture there was 2 people. I know how the picture police operate. full-19983-4873-9_5_10.jpg

full-19983-4874-dsci0005.jpg

full-19983-4875-earlyhonkers.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

well the birds have been scattered since I got back from extended break in the midwest. first good hunt today, 5 buffleheads and a banded mallard

full-23483-5151-167732_746521453067_2060

• 2 weeks later...

Man goblue that is an awesome pic. Sometimes its so hard for me to look at this thread, october is a looooooong ways away till next season frown

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Thought I would get this fired up so were ready as soon as season opens so when your ready lets see some early goose pics..

Have a great season guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a pic of Remy and his brother Asic from our first (and likely only) early season goose hunt. With the pooch out of commission for a while, I'll have to saver that hunt. Heck, it was his first goose retrieve! That's something to be proud of wink

IMG_0785-1.jpg

• The topic was unlocked