• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Waterfowl Photos

Ha ha ha!!!!! You're a good Dad, Mr.Caswell!

Hate it more when those doggone birds dive and don't come back up!!! mad Such a waste.

It's more of a training issue with the dogs " coming in empty is a bad thing" I'm guessing there is a Eagle out there tonight that has a full belly on our behalf, nothing goes to waste..

Got into a nice mix of divers yesterday, north metro. This morning not so much, just one blue wing teal oddly enough.

full-36675-50638-10590449_70402243638291

Here is a photo from last weekend- we had a lot of fun up in nodak - the dog slept for 2 days straight when we got home smile

full-38220-50735-image.jpg

Thanks kettle! Here is my favorite photo from last week in nodak - sadly the photo just doesn't do it justice but you get the idea... Just somethin do about getting away from work and taking in Mother Nature with friends and the hound smile

image_zps18b73caf.jpg

That coot is quite a trophy

I agree not much of a trophy but alot better eating than most "ducks" ( including the " real ducks" )

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I agree not much of a trophy but alot better eating than most "ducks" ( including the " real ducks" )

I agree coot ain't bad compared to other ducks

You can make ANY game bird taste OK in a Stick, Brat, or summer sausage, but when treated like a fine Beef Steak, it's tough to tell a Coot from a Mallard....

And most toss them in the trash but a Coot has a HUGE Gizzard......

You can make ANY game bird taste OK in a Stick, Brat, or summer sausage, but when treated like a fine Beef Steak, it's tough to tell a Coot from a Mallard....

And most toss them in the trash but a Coot has a HUGE Gizzard......

I'm skeptical..........lol

If they were at all edible, other than in some gumbo , there would be boatloads of them being shot.

chub its just a stigma thing nothing more nothing less. Just like why most people wont eat bass or whatever. Just becuase your grampa told your dad who told you that bass, coot, bullhead, whatever are terrible then you think that. Big pet peeve of mine. Ive cleaned a couple coots and they are no different in color than any duck breast and they all go in the jerky bag anyways so you couldnt tell the difference even if u tried. Same goes for deep fried walleye and bass or whatever. Again you cant tell the difference even if u tried. Think outside the box guy, dont be a follower. Now as far as sport goes, yes no doubt a coot is a dumber and much easier bird to shoot a ton of then say a mallard or other ducks.

From the field to the fridge in 5 days. Goose and duck summer sausage. Local sausage kitchen makes it for $3.50 a pound.

full-14148-50777-duckmeat.jpg

From the field to the fridge in 5 days. Goose and duck summer sausage. Local sausage kitchen makes it for $3.50 a pound.

full-14148-50777-duckmeat.jpg

Looks good and not a bad price considering it's tough to find pork for under 3.00 per pound...

chub its just a stigma thing nothing more nothing less. Just like why most people wont eat bass or whatever. Just becuase your grampa told your dad who told you that bass, coot, bullhead, whatever are terrible then you think that. Big pet peeve of mine. Ive cleaned a couple coots and they are no different in color than any duck breast and they all go in the jerky bag anyways so you couldnt tell the difference even if u tried. Same goes for deep fried walleye and bass or whatever. Again you cant tell the difference even if u tried. Think outside the box guy, dont be a follower. Now as far as sport goes, yes no doubt a coot is a dumber and much easier bird to shoot a ton of then say a mallard or other ducks.

Fhg.....

Stigma's are what keep us seperated from the savages. Lol

Never shot, let alone thought about eating a coot. Just as I've never been hungry enough to eat(or attempt to), a merganser. I grew up eating Smallmouths, my old man chopped up and fried every one he could get his hands on. I know what they taste like, and I nearly gag at the thought..... .lol

Chub -

You eat bluebills, buffs, and goldies? Same as a merg... Trust me.

I don't like the taste of any of the above unless they are eaten fresh and cooked to medium rare.

As for the guy that can't tell the difference between deep fried bass and walleye... that's ok, there are "tasters" and "non-tasters"

I eat all kinds of odd stuff and it all has a definite flavor. There's a reason mergs aren't on the preferred list of most people. They ain't that good and it takes some serious effort & appreciation of strong flavor to make them edible.

Eating jerky or sausage doesn't exactly represent the flavor of the beast...

• 2 weeks later...

I took all my ducks from ND and had them made into sweet and sassy stix at Dehmers in St Michael.

14 lbs of breasts total.

$3.50 a lb as well. Pork mixed in. Not sure how they did it for that price, but I dont care. they turned out fantastic.

They will make any flavor you want. Just has to be a full batch(25 lbs is a full batch, before the weight lost after smoking).

I got 17 lbs of stix to take home at $3.50 a lb.

Surprising number of geese hanging tough coming off the river. Very few mallards left. Have seen some nice pile pics from Rochester already. full-283-51555-2014_11_2513.22.39.jpg

Bryce the last time I saw a goose or person like that was in Clint Eastwood's "Hang Em High". That's a beautiful goose Bryce and u might want to reinforce what's hangin em high lol, he's a or she's a whopper !

I've seen bigger! grin

I was really surprised yesterday morning when I saw a few Greater Canadian's hanging on our backyard river shoreline. I'm way up in NW Minnesota!

• Thumbs Up 1

I aways chuckle when I read about 20 pounders. This one hit 13 on the digital fish scale. It is a huge bird. There are 20 pounders out there but they are such a small subspecies that it rules out the majority of claims. A true 20 locked up must look similar to the small Cessna that I first learned to fly in.

• The topic was unlocked