• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Waterfowl Photos

I remember seeing you killed an oldsquaw. That would be awesome! I have killed plenty of ruddys though and I am 100% sure it is not a ruddy. I still have it in the freezer and I can take a picture of it next to a goldeneye, and you'll see how big it is. It is more than two ruddys put together. It is bigger than a mallard. I'll try to get some more pics up. Ive had it IDed by a couple "experts" already though...

I was originally told it was a white wing scoter, but it looks like a black scoter hen to me. They also shoot one in the video "border patrol" with the Keller brothers and they mention in that video that they basically look like a ruddy on steroids. I see where you guys are coming from though. But I have shot my share of ducks, and although I know it isn't a ruddy my sea duck ID isn't 100%. My buddys and brother however go on actual sea duck hunts annually and have shot plenty. I should bring it to Flyway and have Jerry ID it for me. Im curious. If it is a ruddy, it's the biggest one on the planet earth! lol I can also weigh it on my rapala scale.

[Note from admin: Your post has been edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Looks like this isn't the first time this issue has popped up on a hunting forum...

Here is a pic from that hunt. As you can see we were trophy hunting, and passing on bills, redheads, buffies, and whatever else came in to kill Goldeneyes. We did shoot some drake mallards though in hopes of a band, but passed on tons of them too. I remember when yelling "scoter" before we shot because even though I have never seen one before we knew what it was. They are big and look nothing like a ruddy in flight or in hand. I still say Black scoter hen.

duckpile.jpg

I shot a hen ruddy the same sit that I shot that white-winged scoter. They are about 1/1000th the size of the scoters. They have identical tails...

Yours is a black or common scoter hen. Nice, very nice! That shoot looks insanely fun by the way!

Had a great hunt today, but the wind coupled with 13 degrees was really icing up the dekes. Some of the plastic ones were capsizing, but these old Herters 73's that I burlaped still rode like champs.

icedupdeke11122012.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A friend got permission to hunt a field in the south metro. We are still new to field hunting and could have used some more/better decoys but it was still a pretty fun hunt. It is hard to hit a duck when you are laughing because your hungover friend is throwing up on himself in the layout blind next to you.

full-1003-26396-fieldhunting2012.jpg

Hey luckycrank, if that's the only shot you had all day, I say you made it count! Beautiful bird!!! Wall worthy for sure.

Last duck hunt of the year Oct 27th when we had that cold snap up north...had to break ice for a little ways, got to open water and set up and had birds coming in before shooting time. It was slow and had skim ice where we set up so we moved further East around 9:30 am to open water and lights out, birds started to move around the lake. Had to call it quits when the other guy fell in the water tripping over a rock retrieving a duck! Not trophy hunting as you can see... Til next year guys.

full-9846-27197-img_0123.jpg

full-9846-27198-img_0129.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of the Waterfowl pics that You don't want to take but it is what shut my hunting down for the season after Nodak.

This is what happens when you hit railroad tracks that are under the water on Devils Lake mad I was 3 miles from the landing and luckly my buddy was home from work that day and he was able to tow us back to the landing .

This happened after the hunt from the last pic that I posted with the ducks on the front of the boat. We still had three days left to hunt and still did very well and we didn't let the incodent hamper our hunting.

full-15313-28167-tn1.jpg

• The topic was unlocked