• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boat jacking

wdgold

Question

I have an odd ? Anyone ever jack a boat up to clear the trailer and what was the best way to do that?
I want to get my trailer out and get it blasted and repainted before spring.

Thanks

4 answers to this question

How big is your boat?

I've made a temp stand using cement blocks and 2 x 6s. With a 16-foot Lund, I used a hydraulic jack to lift the stearn, used tent stakes and rope to anchor the boat while rolling the trailer ahead enough to brace up the front. You'll want to have the trailer hooked up to a vehicle as you roll ahead so that it doesn't get away.

Advice is worth what you pay for it. Anyway, I had a 17' Crestliner with 115 Merc. I got two BIG tractor tires from tire dealer that were shot and couple of car tires. Put big one, and car tire so to be pretty close to bottom of boat, behind the motor. Put as far under as possible, anchor the transom and pulled ahead slowly with vehicle. (roller trailer)Just before it came off trailer (must be hooked to vehicle or trailer will shoot ahead) put second tire under bow as far back as possible. To put back on, remove trailer from vehicle, hook winch to bow, raise tounge high in air. As you crank winch, it will push front tire towards back and tounge will come down. Remove tire. When tounge is down far enough, hook securly up to vehicle. SLOWLY back trailer as you winch and you will be suprised how easy boat loads onto trailer.

Make sure motor (propeller) is TILTED UP before you start. Watched a guy dig the skeg into blacktop once.

[This message has been edited by Graywolf (edited 02-11-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Graywolf (edited 02-11-2004).]

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Roll the boat a couple ft back off the trailer. Lower the ball end of the trailer to the ground. Now block and brace the rear of the boat leaving no distance between the blocking and boat. With the trailers tongue jack raise the trailer as high as you can. Run a 6x6 between the trailer and boat and block both ends under the 6x6 leaving enough room for the tires to clear. Block the hull so it won't roll. Let the boat back down with the tongue jack. Your trailer is now clear from the boat. Unhook the wench rope and pull the trailer out.