• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Time to trade AP

JAfish

Don't know why everyone expects we could just trade him and get a ton of picks and good players for him. This is a quarterback driven league, nobody is going to give up house for a running back in the 2nd half of his career. Yea he is by far the best running back in the league, and imo best player, but running backs just aren't as valuable these days. Plus they would have to take on that big contract.

Its a different league then the Herschel Walker days. You don't need a stud RB to win so why give up a ton of picks or other high end talent for one?

If you can get a guy like AP in the draft then its a good value at a spot like #7 overall, but he's just not worth more than one pick in todays NFL.

He isn't worth the draft picks that he's worth to us.

I would, however, put Allen and Williams on the "block" right now. Season is over...get what you can from both of these and move on. Griffin can replace Allen (and probably do a better job) and Floyd can replace Williams (and probably do a better job). No need to keep these two around now...let them go to a contender and get the extra picks that we'll need come draft time.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Typical Minnesota thinking... Trade the good for the average and expect more.

The only reason I would say to trade AP now is so he could end his career on a winning team somewhere. He deserves it! wink

My fingers were crossed when Peyton was being shopped, put all day in the afc and maybe see him in the superbowl, I'd take that. It wouldn't be trade the good for the average truth, I mean if we don't get what we want no deal. I think Luck and AP and Indy would've been drooling lol. not

I hate that that is what the nature of MN sports is all about. Get the greatest player in the league, but as soon as the first contract runs out or we can't build a team around him, let him go so he can be on a competitive team. It happened with Garnett, Gaborik, Santana and will probably happen with AP someday. When it happens, a lot of Minnesotans are happy because the player finally has a chance to win. At least we know how to groom young superstars.

I hate that that is what the nature of MN sports is all about. Get the greatest player in the league, but as soon as the first contract runs out or we can't build a team around him, let him go so he can be on a competitive team. It happened with Garnett, Gaborik, Santana and will probably happen with AP someday. When it happens, a lot of Minnesotans are happy because the player finally has a chance to win. At least we know how to groom young superstars.

Anyone with a brain knows you don't build an NFL franchise around a RB. We will never be more than a playoff team with Peterson.

He isn't worth the draft picks that he's worth to us.

I would, however, put Allen and Williams on the "block" right now. Season is over...get what you can from both of these and move on. Griffin can replace Allen (and probably do a better job) and Floyd can replace Williams (and probably do a better job). No need to keep these two around now...let them go to a contender and get the extra picks that we'll need come draft time.

I agree with Allen/Williams on the trading block. They're taking up a lot of salary cap space and are on the back end of their careers. I think Williams is in his last year of contract might as well get something for him. Trade them to a team that's contending and get some good picks. We need help on both sides of the line.

Williams is likely calling it a career after this season. Why would a team trade for an overpriced DT who will likley only play with them for a hanful of games at most? Even a late round pick is too much to give up to rent a player with his declining skill set.

We wouldn't get anything for Williams. Maybe for Allen. Our biggest bargaining chip right now is Ponder. He has been downright awful, but the Buffalo Bills are seriously hurting for a QB and they are going to have a bad record to boot. Anything we could get for Ponder would likely be a high pick in whatever round we'd get for him. Vikings fans have had their fill of Ponder and I can see very few circumstances where he'll make a career here anyway.

Matt Flynn signed with Buffalo today... doubt they'll look at Ponder.

I think you better look at keeping him as backup. Cassel WILL be outta here if Freeman looks to be even somewhat capable. Cassel's contract is set up with a player option if I remember correctly. No Way he stays here as back-up... he'll shop his wares.

You can do worse than Ponder as a back up... Think Joe Webb... Ponder won 10 games last year... the last 4 were all MUST wins. I'd take that as a backup any day of the week!

Good Luck!

Ken

Williams has been one of the most over rated DT's in all of football, why would anyone trade for that sack of dirt?

I could see a playoff caliber team needing a pass rush trading for Jared. Now would be the time to trade him or he will just walk at the end of the season anyway.

AP would fetch some good picks, Browns got a 1st for Pie stain Richardson. If Freeman turns out to play at his potential we would be better off keeping him, with Blunder there is no reason to keep him.

We wouldn't get anything for Williams. Maybe for Allen. Our biggest bargaining chip right now is Ponder. He has been downright awful, but the Buffalo Bills are seriously hurting for a QB and they are going to have a bad record to boot. Anything we could get for Ponder would likely be a high pick in whatever round we'd get for him. Vikings fans have had their fill of Ponder and I can see very few circumstances where he'll make a career here anyway.

If we were very very very lucky, we might get a 6th round pick for Ponder. Maybe. If a GM was very very very drunk.

I think we could get a 6th. It's only week 6 and we know QBs will continue to get hurt. Some teams, such as Cleveland and Buffalo, are ridiculously thin at QB right now. There's no rush to trade Ponder, but other GMs should know he is available for the right price.

No, it really isn't a dumb topic. AP is doing the Vikes nothing special. He has maybe a couple good years left, and by the time the Vikes get into contention(assuming a new qb, aka, Freeman or the draft) we're a year or two away from being a threat. Move any aged veteran, time to face the facts we need an overhaul. Management to. 2015 before things swing the other way, if we're lucky.

No, it really isn't a dumb topic. AP is doing the Vikes nothing special. He has maybe a couple good years left, and by the time the Vikes get into contention(assuming a new qb, aka, Freeman or the draft) we're a year or two away from being a threat. Move any aged veteran, time to face the facts we need an overhaul. Management to. 2015 before things swing the other way, if we're lucky.

At least someone gets it.

He can't block worth a lick and he is pretty much useless in the passing game and that is a liability for a team who runs the west coast offense. If we had a RB that could consistently pick up a blitz and run an effective screen route. The offense was more dynamic when we had Chester Taylor who lacked the raw running ability but didn't need to get pulled on 3rd down and gave defenses something to think about on third down.

Only in MN do fans talk about trading last year's MVP. Peterson is not the problem. This is the NFL. Teams can turn around in 1-2 years. This year is over yes, but who knows what changes next year will bring player wise.

Agreed ^^^

The previous posters are the epic definition between kneejerk and cutting the whole darn leg off. whistle

He can't block worth a lick and he is pretty much useless in the passing game and that is a liability for a team who runs the west coast offense. If we had a RB that could consistently pick up a blitz and run an effective screen route. The offense was more dynamic when we had Chester Taylor who lacked the raw running ability but didn't need to get pulled on 3rd down and gave defenses something to think about on third down.

Exactly this.

If you have a expensive combine that you have used hard for 4-5 years with a couple fixable breakdowns along the way, sometimes the best thing to do is trade him off. That used combine is still worth a lot of money. Trade for a new one before he really breaks down and completely falls apart leaving you with a HUGE expense to fill to your lineup. This team is going nowhere for 3 or 4 years with the big holes to fill on defense. The Redskins are beating the Bears using a running back that I've never heard of.

So...... Even though It makes sense to trade him... Who in the league will give up multiple drafts AND take on his salary? I agree a Hershel type trade would be smart, the league is even smarter now... The time to trade was in this last off season.... His value would've never been higher.

Good Luck!

Ken

A Herschel walker trade will never happen again. If the vikes got a first and second round pick for him I would say they are lucky.

That would be about the dumbest things the Vikes could do.. You build a team around a guy like that, not trade him.