• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

synthetic oil

opsirc

Question

I noticed that there was a question about using synthetic oils in augers and such. does anyone use them in your vehicles? like mobil 1 or the amsoil?

O

work is for people who don't fish

12 answers to this question

I use the Amsoil synthetic in my truck differentials, and have been very happy with them.

I still use dino oil in the engine (Cummins diesel)but will probably got to a synthetic next winter. 15W40 is pretty stiff on those cold morning starts.

I use 20/50 Amsoil in my Yamaha Roadstar 1602 v-twin motorcycle. Used standard oil for seating the rings during break-in period than switched. WOW what a difference. Much quieter engine. The Yamaha v-twin is an air cooled engine so I was wanting the maximum protection and I feel synthetics do the best job of lubricating.

I use Amzoil in everything I've got. 3 trucks, snowmobiles, augers, lawn mowers, compact tractors, trimmers. Oil, grease, filters. Engines, differentials, tranny fluid. Some people ask if it makes a difference, I don't have statistics to prove one way or another, other than what Amzoil sends out. I do know when it's -25 and I'm starting the diesels, they SEEM to start much easier, even without plugging them in. Plus, going 10-15,000 miles on an oil change is nice too.

Lwn

[This message has been edited by LwnmwnMan2 (edited 02-05-2004).]

I use Amsoil in my truck pumpkins and transmission. When you press in the clutch it barely slows down. What a difference. I also use Amsoil 2 stroke oil in my sleds, auger, lawn mower. Hardly no smoke and it things run great. I recommend it.

seems everyone likes the amsoil, it there a place in duluth that sells it? I have been using mobil 1 in my truck snice day one. now has 108000+, seems to work ok. was wondering if anyone else used it.

ops-

I know that Amzoil's distribution center is in/near Superior. I'd just hit the yellow pages, or try going to some auto parts stores, lawn mower/snowmobile shops, though usually you'd probably pay a pretty hefty markup. Check around, I know different people charge their own markup on it.

Lwn

opsirc

Are you wondering if anyone else uses Mobil 1? I do. Been running regular Mobil oil for years but figured I better step up to the new technology some day. I know Chevrolet ships Corvettes with Mobil 1 from the factory. I guess if its good enough for a Corvette it should be alright for my Sierra.

For those using amsoil oil in there 2 cycle engines, what mixture are you using? I have a new auger. Do I break it in with regular oil first and then use amsoil or go straight to amsoil?

I would recomend running the first tank or 2 with the regular oil as it is a rich mixture and will give the motor time to break in.After that you should be able to switch over.I dont run amsoil but I run a comparable synthetic and I mix it 70-1.About 2 ounces to a gallon of gas.I use it in my 15 year old mag 3 auger and all my other 2 cycle engines and have not had a problem.

[This message has been edited by rmh2o (edited 02-05-2004).]

How long do all of you run your amsoil
-the recommended 7500mi?
Do you use the extended life oil filter from amsoil or fram?

I had a mechanic tell me that running synthetic oil for 7500mi isn't a good idea do to the gas that blows through the engine when first started which wears the engine
Does that make sense?
what do all of u think

I,ve got a 97 F150 with 190,000 miles on it. I change oil every 10-12,000 miles and the oil that comes out after that many miles looks and smells better than a conventional oil does at 3,500 miles. If you run out that far with oil it is recommended to use a quality filter with a by-pass valve. I also run it in everything else I own. The seller for me was my John-Deere lawn tractor runs much cooler in hot temps. I can actually put my hand on the top of the motor after using it on a hot day. That really impressed me. I know quite a few prople who use Amsoil, and not one person has ever had a problem with it.

Dog-Eye

Break in all you new engines with regular oil. With small engines run thru 2 tanks of gas before switching over to the Amsoil. With cars/trucks go to 5000-6000 miles before switching over. I have put the Amsoil in the front and rear axels and transfer case of my Jeep. The real big difference that I imediately noticed was in this cold weather. When I would start out 1st thing in the morning the Jeep seemed to want to move much easier. When I would approach a stop sign a block down the road it would coast up to the sign like it was almost summer.

[This message has been edited by trollingforeyes (edited 02-09-2004).]