• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rut Activity?

springermnguy26

Just rattled and 5 mins later heard a crash and looked over and a nice 8 was cruising across the woods about 75 yards away. Oak grove area

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• archerystud

• 96trigger

• FISHINGURU

• sticknstring

Scouted my SC MN farm after work this evening and watched a nice 2.5yr old 10pt feeding and show some slight interest in some does feeding in the same plot. Headed up north this weekend to try and drop one of my big boys I have been chasing the last 3 years!!

This morning I had two young 8's crash their antlers together a bit then go separate ways. The smaller one grunted once. Starting to get interesting.

Deer we're moving on Monday came to full draw on a nice 8 from the ground. Then got busted trying to get the weeds that were stuck in my sight out! That night there were at least 20 does feeding on he neighbors beans with a couple little bucks sparring. Just thinking about packin up and I spotted a big ten headed for the beans at about 200 yards gave him a few grunts and he would only stop and stare. Kept doin that for a few minutes before he had enough and went on his way. We're almost there few more days and they should be cranking up.

Not a ton of beans in western mn still. A few fields here and there. Mom was driving home from work Monday in Willmar and said she saw a couple of combines taking corn. I'll be sitting in stand this weekend for sure. Get those crops out so the deer will care about all of the acorns in the woods I hunt.

Sounds like just the beginning with all the little buck activity, the Big Boys are just building up waitin to go off.

Starting this weekend until gun opener I will be bow hunting hard lookin for one of the Big Boys.

Deer activity is picking up in general. Lots of scrapes around, seen 20+ deer over the last 3 sits. Hunted in a snow storm tonight. Not seeing much for bucks though

Sat over a fresh combined corn field last night. At last light 8 does/fawns came out. Saw 1 small scrape.

checked a spot out i have not been in all year. scouted part of it. all i found was one rub. besides that i found some nice trails and a lot of bed. in a small clear cut. any advice on how to hunt it? the lack of sign makes me want to hold out for a week. i made some mock scrapes. but idk if is worth a sit yet?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

scrapes and rubs starting here. watched a dandy 8 point licking a few branches today 50 yards away. gonna check it mid day friday. sure wish he woulda been at 20! smile

This morning I had 10 does/fawns filter past me from the fresh cut corn field to thier bedding area. No bucks yet but a few scrapes have now showed up. I'm pretty sure the farmer will plow the field this weekend so that will change thier pattern a bit. I am busy all weekend so won't get back in the woods until Monday afternoon frown

Should be an amazing weekend to be in the woods!!!!

I hope he's either wrong, or it continues to be amazing next week & the following weekend. Tomorrow morning's likely to be my only sit of the weekend. Mom turned 70 yesterday, have some festivities to attend to.

My trail cams show that the younger bucks are chasing the does around. Unfortunately, its at night. No movement during the day, yet!

I also found a couple small scrapes on the way to a stand.

I'll be in the woods tomorrow. It's heating up, ladies and gents!

Sat last night in the mach 1 winds and had 2 bucks come by at 6pm. Both were together which suprised me but the corn was getting combined close to the woods so they must have been pushed out at the same time.

14 yards away when I heard a branch crack. Got turn around but could not get a clean shot. Had the 8 standing 12 yards away but I would have had to shoot through some brush and then thread the needle and shot between 2 trees about 6 inches apart. The second buck was even nicer but could not count points as I was trying to whack the one I thought I may have had a shot at.

This woods has bucks but so far, next to no rut activity that I have noticed.

Also saw 1 other long before dark and was very suprised they moved so early in the wind we had.

I have not hunted this woods for 3 weeks and still no sign of rubs or scrapes. Other woods I took my grandaughter for the youth hunt 5 miles away was full of rut activity, that was last week.

Going to the woods I hunted last night to check for some rut activity as there has to be some as there are bucks in this woods as I have had 4 different ones on the camera.

I maybe in the wrong area of the woods for sign but I do have bucks traveling through the area so, still should be able to ambush one.

We postponed our out of town hunt from this weekend to next to try to maximize our chances of hitting the early part of the rut - hopefully they get going. It is finally feeling like hunting weather!

I've started at least seeing deer out and about around home in daylight hours and the landowner down south says the deer have been kicking more in the last week too. Pretty soon I'll start seeing the nice bucks crossing the roads on my drive to and from work. smile

You may hit it perfect in a week or so. Things are slow but there are a few moving.

From what I have been seeing and have been told my others in the woods, it is a bit early yet this weekend. A week more and it could start to fire up some of the bucks a bit more than now.

Going out in an hour or so to put up a couple more climber's in the woods I hunted last night so I can hunt no matter what direction the wind is blowing as it is about time to get the job done and whack a deer.

Just did a little scouting. Found a couple fresh scrapes, one may be from the morning as there were only 2 leaves in it.

Last Saturday in hanging a new set in a different woods I found a large scrape about 50 yards from my spot. I haven't found any fresh rubs though which does seem a bit weird.

Had a buck grunting at me tonight. Got too dark, I could hear it but couldn't see it. Saw a doe on the field walking out, she took off, assuming the buck was with her. Trail cams completely shut off. I got very few pics of deer in general.

Only saw a doe and a fawn tonight.

Same here, but unfortunately they were about 200 yards away. I really thought the deer would be moving more tonight.

Nels

Ran into a really fresh scrape in a pinch point tonight so I decided to set up on it.

Long story short, I had a real nice sized deer come in but hung up just far enough out I couldn't make sure if it was a buck or not. After 15-20 minutes of watching it's ears flicking and nose testing the wind, a couple does came in from another direction and turned to head toward the first deer. I couldn't pass up the 15 yard shot on the nice doe that stopped in my lane.

She's the first deer I shot with a 2 blade rage and she didn't make it far. smile

I was hoping the wind would die down a little earlier than it did. There was a fresh scrape just to the side of the tree where one of cameras are hung, I have no idea how he made a scrape and never got set the camera off, must have came up from the side. Giving that stand a break for a week.

Had 5 bucks (1.5 to 2.5yr olds) and 2 does come in Saturday night. All little though. Wish the 8 would have gone by my kid, but he didnt see any. No sign of rutting here.