• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rut Activity?

springermnguy26

Good stories guys, keep em coming - except with pics of what DID work!!

I only have a few buck stories this year and they've all ended without pics too...

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• archerystud

• 96trigger

• FISHINGURU

• sticknstring

My dad saw a nice buck running does last night. Pretty slow today though. We had a thick fog roll in a little before sunset. Could only see about 45 yards after that. Not used to that thick of a fog in Nov. during deer hunting!!!

Shot a dandy of a buck this am he was chasing a doe. not ten seconds after I dropped him (gun) another buck came by look at mine and then took off after that doe! lol pretty interesting to see

Chasing hard in the picked corn behind the house tonight 45 min before dark. Def a trickle rut this year. Should be good through Thanksgiving.

Congrats tracker!

Hunting Bemidji refuge so no gun pressure.

Sat last Wed afternoon and all day last Sat and Sunday. Overall last week was when I lots of spikes, sporks,sixes and basket 8's running during the day. Nothing better until that Sat night (11-9).

On 11-9 evening I saw a 3.5 year old wide eight come out in the field with a doe. It was snowing hard at the time. They didn't come on a trail and came out from a random location at the edge of a large bedding swamp. Subsequently he scented me, changed course, and headed out without flagging. The doe followed/chased him.

11-10- Had a doe and fawns come through with no bucks following...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday (11-15) sat all day and had a doe come screaming through at last light (this was a welcome after sitting all day with no movement). Thought a buck was following as I heard a weak grunt. It was actually an old long faced doe following a smaller doe. Maybe it was the mom (would have been a big fawn though). The doe's back wasn't scratched up either like it would had she been mounted recently.

(11-16) sat all day today and saw a lone doe working towards bedding at 10:00 am (although an ATV on private property prob bumped her). Switched trees early afternoon due to shifting wind. Right at dark a doe came out and as I was getting down a buck joined her and was grunting but not on her but too hard. I think it was the same couple I saw on 11-9.

Bottom Line IMHO:

I do think that the chasing and early rut is late this year. I am surprise I haven't seen anything past the ears come through seeking. My theory is that it is a late rut and the moon phase (no movement last 2 days) and weather has them moving at night. Coyotes have also been letting loose at dark and they actually let loose this morning at 8:30. Sounded like about a dozen but who knows.

Have usually seen much larger deer by this point. Not as many gun shots nearby either.

Was out yesterday and seen several little bucks and young does chasing around, but all of our more mature bucks and does have been gone for a week or so.

Not really sure what to think about our rut so far.

Big ones locked down?

Very few bigger deer around our area?

Still fun to see the younger ones chasing around, but hope that is not the future of our herd.

I have one evening left with the gun and I have yet to see a buck during gun season. I did see quite a few bucks when that storm came through the week before gun season.

It has been a very weird rut to say the least. I think the big ones are somewhat locked down and have their does right now. However, I'm surprised I haven't seen more little bucks cruising. I know the gun season has them fairly locked down but nothing seems very odd for me. I do think the warm weather this weekend has slowed down the movement substantially. Opening weekend had 8 trucks on our road and today it was only mine. My son and I did kick up some deer on the way in, but they just aren't moving.

One other note is I haven't had one buck come in on a cold call this year. Realize one could have smelled me on the way in before I see but I usually get a few little ones to come flying in.

Gun season is done here today. I hope to be bow hunting next weekend if I don't get something tonight.

Most of the people I talked to had a lot of buck chasing doe action this year, Nov. 1st was the first hot doe on my trailcam and only doe on there, she was in the scrape and 7 bucks in the following 2 days were there checking it. Saw 5 hot does this season, only hunted 2 days, best season since 1988 for that and 9 different bucks were chasing these 5 does around, 6 were yearlings, 3 were likely 2.5 year olds and now of course this morning a monster at exactly 10AM was standing on my gravel road the reason I say my gravel is no 1 else lives anywhere near where I do and we're the only house, he's got some days to sweat he was in zone 1. Neighboring properties saw very little for deer, but they kinda don't love the wide open where they hunt after opening day and the wind really messed those guys spots up a bit extra. There's so much night time rut activity once gun season/pressure starts.

I was beginning to think they were "locked up" but I'm not giving up after today. Getting ready to go to work at 7:15ish I look outside and see a 10 pointer making a scrape and urinating in my front yard. I left for work and seen a dead one on the side of the road. Couldn't glimpse whether it was a buck or doe. Then, on the way home I seen 6 deer in fields.

My question is: how far do I need to be from my house to take'm by archery if he comes back? (couldn't find it in the DNR book)

There is no restriction for a distance from your house. It is 500 feet from a occupied structure without permission. And if you live inside city limits you should check their firearm ordnance most of them now consider a bow and arrow a firearm because it fires a projectile.

My buddy called, seen 6 different bucks running does this afternoon in western WI... Released on a nice 9 and branch deflected arrow,.. He went back to chasing the doe... The arrow that missed him didn't evens phase him...

I'd say we are not quite to lock down...

Good Luck!

Ken

Sat last night and about 5 o'clock had a doe come walking across the CRP field about 100 yards away. Kept watching her and about 20 yards trailing behind her was a big 8. Neither of them seemed to be in a big hurry and the buck wasn't really jocking her very hard at all. I gave some grunts at him and he stopped just long enough to look my direction and give me the "I'm with her" stare before continuing on following the doe. Now..........Had I sat in the stand I intended to, they would have walked right to me and passed by at about 10 yards. But being super smart, I decided to sit a different stand. Pretty bright huh? If anyone needs some atomic equations solved, gimme a call! smirk

Sat this am ...nada. Pulled the cam card and had a buck go through 15 min before I climbed up. A few other antlerless gun season survivors on cam as well. Buck activity has dropped way off - most likely locked up with does for the time being it appears.

What bucks were seen over the weekend in the Emily area were chasing by most reports. I did see a real nice 8 on Sunday that was just strolling along - till he got into my scent. He hurried up after that.

It was a buck I would've shot with my bow had I been in a better position.

My buddy called, seen 6 different bucks running does this afternoon in western WI... Released on a nice 9 and branch deflected arrow,.. He went back to chasing the doe... The arrow that missed him didn't evens phase him...

I'd say we are not quite to lock down...

Good Luck!

Ken

Sitting in that stand yesterday and looking at the branch just sucked. Late afternoon deer where back on their feet again. Fawns everywhere all by them selves. Nine point did not make a return. frown Every doe had a buck with them or shortly after, sniffing and grunting. Nothing in range and they would not respond to any sort of calling. Four bucks yesterday nothing real big. Public land.

How deep ? Over your head deep if you're not careful ? You want mature bucks they seek that water out because the root structures of the tamaracs are above the water line and they can smell and or hear anything coming from a long ways away and they make it look easy going through that rathole bedding on those root structures. I don't see many does and fawns doing that much though, usually bucks only, now freezing everything up by musket season a guy can get at em. For reference I hunt 2 swamps full of tamaracs and both are in Ottertail County, I like when I see a large tamarac all rubbed clean, I know I have a 3.5 year old or older to hunt then, never enough of em lol.

Lone buck came in before dark yesterday sniffing the ground. Wasn't chasing, but was looking. Came through what I thought was a clear hole, and I shot and missed. Close to 160hrs in stand for a mature buck and I blew it. Happens I guess.

Dang surewood! Thats a bummer!

I looked out my window yesterday evening and there was a 140" 8 chasing a doe in the sunset out in the CRP. This was in the wide open a half hour before dark. Nice to see he made it... so far!

Saw lots of evidence of love crazy bucks last weekend in Kandiyohi County in our woods. And several bucks taken by neighbors with slug guns. And dang Surewood. I know the feeling. Was out last Saturday morning and right about to get down at 10am because of a family committment. Nice 10 point comes padding through the leaves behind me where I couldn't get a shot. He was on a trot, head down, frantically circling like a dog. Followed another doe trail that gave me a 35 yard shot to my left and behind. Never anticipated that shot angle and I watched as the lumenock glowed and sailed just over his back. He must have felt it too because he took off like he was a freight train on a straight away. I'm fairly certain I'm going to get the slug gun out next year during gun season. I love bowhunting, don't get me wrong, but I most likely would have had him with the slug gun and there was another shot last year too where I could have taken a nice buck if only I had the other weapon. Not all about getting the buck but I would like to take a truly big one some year and I'd be a snob to say it has to be with a bow.

Sat this morning changed out cards on the camera and saw a few more rubs and scrapes. Sat til I got too cold and bounce one out of the woods. Couldnt see if it was a buck or a doe but it wasn't too disturbed as it wcame back towards me and likely laid down in the slough. I'll sit this eve again, tough time staying warm when I'm so still.

Well, Whats up?

I've only made it out once in the last couple weeks, was a perfect day with fresh snow on the ground, temps in the teens, and only a slight breeze. Unfortunately I sat until around noon and didn't see a single deer lol.

Pulled a trail cam card today, walking up to the camera I see a nice doe and she trots off. A minute later a nice buck comes up the trail and is staring right at me. Multiple picks of decent bucks in broad daylight the last two weeks. What I am sure is the same buck I saw, came by the camera at 10:00 am

I've dropped many nice bucks this time of the year following does...it may not be "prime time" but for sure there is opportunities to be had.

I actually seen a bunch of deer hit by vehicles yesterday evening on HWY 52 and some on the back roads. We seen about half a dozen roadkill, first time I've seen that many fresh deer hit this year. Must of been a combo of increased deer movement and vehicle movement from the holidays.

Pulled my camera cards last night and have been getting pictures of bucks and does, but EVERYTHING is nocturnal. Out of all my pictures, there was only 2 that walked through during shooting light. Don't think it will get any better with the Muzzy season starting today.

Saw the same buck I did yesterday checking the camera. Came in about 8:00 am. He is stud 8 pointer. He milled around me for about 30 minutes, checking the licking branch and scrapes. A doe came in later all by herself, he came right at her grunting the whole time, pushing her from 20 to 60 yards away in a hurry. Missed her at 60 with the muzzle loader. Both deer just kind of trotted off after the shot. Still seems to be plenty of activity.