• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice Augers.....Cheaply Made?

hip_hop_fisherman

Question

I don't know if anyone caught my previous post on this subject http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/003124.html , but now I'm really upset.

After waiting for it to be repaired, (it's been in the shop since Jan. 14), they finally got it done today and when he starts it up, THE SAME PIECE BREAKS. Are they really made that cheaply? Needless to say I'll never purchase a Jiffy product again. Used a brand new $330 auger two weeks and will be lucky to see it by the time I need a new license in March. Not worth it in my opinion.

17 answers to this question

What is breaking? Ive had my jiffy over 10 years and never had a problem!

Its breaking where the throttle connects. I believe the particular dealer thats working on it refered to it as "cheap pot metal."

hip hop, is the trouble with the engine part[ex. from tecumseh]. i have been having problems getting a working unit all together. i've had 3 weekends ends in a row that my shiny new auger has had to sit home on the garage floor. when i'm all done with this deal i'll post my expirences. right now my opinion is the whole auger market is poor and Q.C. at tecumseh is missing alot . i know how you are feeling.

I would be the first to tell you that Tecumseh is not a very reputable company.Their quality sucks! I know this from the inside.Worked there till recently when they decided to ship things to Mexico for cheaper labor.lol...Even their severence sucks!

The same thing happened to me. I ordered the same part from Log Cabin Bait by LOW and installed it myself. I used a different wire piece with a little more flex ti it. I actually used wire off of a bottom bouncer and have not had a prob with it. Just muke sure it isn't frozen before pushing the throttle. My air cover did vibrate loose and I have a bent handle after 1 year of use. I do think that my Legend is more cheaply made than some of the others.

Dave at FM, can we do anything to put the heat on Tecumseh? I have a Lazermag 2000 w/ a tecumseh motor and I'm nervous. I will do whatever I can to help turn up the heat! FM has a lot of us around the countyr now. You say the word and we'll move!!

------------------
lucky7

i have a mag 2000,and drill alot of holes with it,had for alot of years and never had a problem with it ,maybe lucky

I purchased a strikemaster with a Tecumseh and it would not start. Then the recoil spring came loose. Took it to Big Lake and he fixed the recoil. Also put a thicker gasket or something in that he said was better. Tecumseh had changed to a thinner gasket and it didn't work as good. After that used it to drill about 8 holes and spring came loose again. A friend fixed it that time. Be sure not to pull the rope out very far.

I bought a new jiffy mod. 30 in december and have had no problems so far and I have been known to be hard on gear. IMO the 3hp tecumseh look alot sturdier than the 2hp. I cringe when I see the 2hp they look like a kids toy!

------------------
Jimmy

No they aren't the best quality but what do you suggest they are the largest manufature of auger engines. If you don't want a tech that leaves you with 2 options that I know of and that is the Eskimo shark which is suppost to be good and then the Nills Master. Other than those two I think everyone has Tech. motors on theirs. I have have 2 jiffy's and I have been very satified with them I have a Model 30 Jiffy that is about 20 years old and then this year I bought a new 3 hp stealth and I have had to have some carb adjustments made but nothing serious.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

Ive had my Strikemaster with a tech motor on it for 15 years, and never had a problem. It has always started effortlessly.

This is my second season with my StrikeMaster and i really like it. 2 HP came with a 8 inch, bought a used 10 from Prince B & T for 40$ and it cuts great.

I also had problems with the tecumseh,,got rid of the Piece of sh*t & bought a eskimo shark...the shark is by far a better product

I bought an Adrison Sweetcut (I don't remember how to spell their name) about 23-24 years ago, on about the 5th or 6th hole I drilled the gears shattered. I sent it back and they replaced them and it has worked ever since, my son now uses it. About 10-12 years ago I got a StrikeMaster Magnum III for my birthday, I have drilled hundreds of holes with it and the only thing I've ever done to it is change the spark plug, and I've only done that once or twice.

Ole

All I know is if I get the Jiffy back and it breaks again, its going back to the company for a full refund regardless of what they think. I'm done dealing with Jiffy. Thats too much money to be paying out for an unrealiable product. I even was talking to some guys at my new job I picked up until I get back to laying sod this spring, and THREE OUT OF THE FOUR who had Jiffy augers have the same problem as me, and they bought there's in December also. Problem in manufacturing? I'd have to say so.

you could be right about a defect of some sort who knows. maybe they got a bad batch of parts?.anyhow i have owned 2 3hps both the tec motor , never anty probs with either of them but carb adjustments , it was mentioned that i am hard on gear .. me too and have broken on/off switch now. its in the on postion so it still runs fine . you might have to teak the carbs a bit . take it to the shop they can set it for you some what, but i needed to do my tweaks on the ice . cut and tweak till its right is what i did . starts after 3or4 primes after 2 to 3 pulls.
What ever it is that is produced ,,, there is allways a leamon in the bunch. maybe you got 1 ?