• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Manziel Debate

DrJuice1980

Will have a very similar career as Tebow. 2nd stringer with too much distraction to keep on board. Out in 2-3 years. Just you watch.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Big Dave2

• DrJuice1980

• CaptainMusky

• LMITOUT

I would think that his almost 70% pass completion over the past 2 years, 165 QB rating, or his almost 8000 yards passing in 2 years may qualify him as a passer. Or his 63/22 TD to INT rating, But I guess not by your book.

Yup, and he'll be able to "get away" with playing that style in the NFL. Yeah right.

Rubes love Rubes

You would think that since 3/4 of the scouts, and pro evaluators think he deserves a top 5 pick, there may be some truth to all the hype? But I guess Drj has a better analysis for NFL ready QB's then they do.

Evaluating QBs is more voodoo than science, and the fact that there is such a wide range of opinions on Manziel sure is reason enough to have doubts. My gut tells me he will be a bust, but more because of the mental aspect than any physical deficits. He can make all the throws, he's plenty mobile, and he has succeeded against the best defenses he's faced.

But...the party boy attitude, eagerness to improvise when he doesn't need to, and shaky reading of defenses...those are not good in the NFL. I wouldn't be upset at all in MN took him at #8 (not that he'll still be there), but I would rather see them upgrade defense and draft a QB in round 2 or 3 since there's nothing resembling a sure thing this year.

So who would you like to see them take Dr. Juice? Which defensive player specifically?

Gilbert and Mack would be my most wanted. Im not so sure we'll take a CB though due to the recent additions to the backfield but I would love to see Mack in Purple. Donald would be my 3rd most wanted.

I will be massively disappointed if I hear Bridgewaters name called with our pick.

Yeah, Mack is my #1. I would be surprised if he doesn't go in the top three though.

Mike Vick.

Wow, really went out on a limb there didn't you, going with the example of a hybrid, not an example of a hybrid.

The big difference between Manziel and Tebow is that Manziel can run AND

throw the forward pass.

I would consider Wilson and Kaep to both be hybrid quarterbacks as both of their teams have designed run plays for them. Wilson averaged 6 rushing attempts per game last year.

I wouldnt consider a guy who has to flush out of the pocket because of his size a hybrid. I would consider Kaepernick a hybrid. And heres my follow up to that:

If you think JM is remotely close to the athlete that Kaepernick is you are seriously fooled. He's shorter, less of an arm, and not as fast. So in summery he is a shorter, not as fast, less arm strength Kaepernick type QB. Now I think Kaepernick is a stud and all but take those things down a few notches and he is no longer stud status. But we should dish out multiple draft picks for him? We should burn a top 10 pick on him? With all the holes we have we attempt to fill one with this guy?

No thank you.

Luck is the definition of an NFL QB, JM is a hybrid. When is the last time a hybrid did anything semi-spectacular? Mike Vick? He aint no Mike Vick. He's not as athletic as Steve Young either. He's a fad, just like the read option without any wrinkles. He will be eaten up. Big Dave you're just brainwashed into thinking these great SEC defenses are similar to the NFL. Not even close my friend, not even close. Not being big man on campus will also have an effect.

Vick's college stats are pale in comparison to Johnny Football's.

Here, let me educate you: http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/johnny-manziel-1.html

The guy is being mentioned as possibly the best college quarterback of all time, why would we want to take a chance on him?

http://mikebig.hubpages.com/hub/Why-Is-Johnny-Manziel-So-Good

Its funny how so many knuckleheads are arguing over why JM is or isn't worth drafting when he may not even be there. I am included in the knuckleheads.

My gut tells me he will be a bust, but more because of the mental aspect than any physical deficits.

If anyone has the mental aspect down it's Johnny Football. I don't think there's anyone here who realizes Johnny Football is JUST A 21 YEAR OLD KID.

With all the holes we have we attempt to fill one with this guy?

No thank you.

You don't think Quarterback is a glaring hole for the Vikings? crazy

Big Dave is giving him a pass. Why wouldn't everybody else? Too many excuses in the world today.

Big Dave is giving him a pass. Why wouldn't everybody else? Too many excuses in the world today.

confused

How many 21 year old kids spend more time promoting themselves like he does than focus on his career?

How many 21 year old kids spend more time promoting themselves like he does than focus on his career?

The only thing I've seen him spend his time doing is becoming the best QB in college football.

I hate to tell you but promoting yourself is exactly what you need to do when pursuing an entertainment career.

Will have a very similar career as Tebow. 2nd stringer with too much distraction to keep on board. Out in 2-3 years. Just you watch.

This is an example of the ignorance people have about JF. Still...still comparing him with Tebow. A Mr. Tim Tebow couldn't throw the ball...everybody knew it coming out of college. If Denver doesn't take him in the 1st, he might have slipped in to the mid to late rounds.

JF is one of the more accomplished passers in this draft....AND he can leg it out if needed.

No one is questioning his ability to throw the ball...yet you still put him on a level with Tebow. JF, after his pro-day, was just said to take a back seat to nobody as far as arm strength and accuracy....his film backs this up.

You may not like him...that's your opinion and I respect that. But please quit comparing him to Tebow...the two are nothing alike.

The only thing I've seen him spend his time doing is becoming the best QB in college football.

I hate to tell you but promoting yourself is exactly what you need to do when pursuing an entertainment career.

so these guys are entertainers now? No wonder they have to have TD and sack celebrations. They ate trying to get nominated for an Oscar.

so these guys are entertainers now?

Um ya! What do you think football is if not just a way to entertain people?

Cassius Clay (aka Muhammed Ali) spent a majority of his time self promoting.

Just because he promotes himself does not mean he is a bad football player.

Quote:
Vikings coach Mike Zimmer is concerned that quarterback Johnny Manziel wants to be “the celebrity man guy.”

There’s a chance that will be the next phrase for which Manziel tries to acquire a federal trademark.

With Manziel already attempting to secure the rights to “Johnny Football,” Darren Rovell of ESPN.com confirms that Manziel has applied for other trademarks, including “The House That Johnny Built.”

There’s no problem with a guy trying to maximize his revenue, from whatever legitimate and legal source. But at a time when Camp Manziel is trying to get everyone to believe he’s all about the steak and not about the sizzle, it would be smart to at least defer the sizzle until after the card with his name on it is turned in.

On one hand, it’s smart for Manziel to strike while the iron is hot.On the other hand, he may have trouble making the iron glow any more brightly if teams inclined to take him think he’ll be less concerned about building the house and more concerned about selling it out.

Cassius Clay (aka Muhammed Ali) spent a majority of his time self promoting.

Just because he promotes himself does not mean he is a bad football player.

was Ali 21 when he did it?

I could agree that we may be entertained by watching them but to say they do it for the sole purpose of entertaining us is a huge stretch.

JF may be a bit of a DB off the field, but my money is he turns into a success on the field. I would venture somewhere between #5-12 type QB. Which would be plenty good enough from the Vikes standpoint with AP and others on offense.

And then there's Ponder who is completely opposite. Decent enough guy that is similar to your friends, but he can't seem to grasp the NFL game.

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer is concerned that quarterback Johnny Manziel wants to be “the celebrity man guy.”

There’s a chance that will be the next phrase for which Manziel tries to acquire a federal trademark.

With Manziel already attempting to secure the rights to “Johnny Football,” Darren Rovell of ESPN.com confirms that Manziel has applied for other trademarks, including “The House That Johnny Built.”

There’s no problem with a guy trying to maximize his revenue, from whatever legitimate and legal source. But at a time when Camp Manziel is trying to get everyone to believe he’s all about the steak and not about the sizzle, it would be smart to at least defer the sizzle until after the card with his name on it is turned in.

On one hand, it’s smart for Manziel to strike while the iron is hot.On the other hand, he may have trouble making the iron glow any more brightly if teams inclined to take him think he’ll be less concerned about building the house and more concerned about selling it out.

This pretty much sums up Manziel. He is a narcissistic puke that is more worried about cashing in than anything else...

"The house that Johnny built"... What house? How about getting a 'house' first, and then really building it second... What a tool!

Good Luck!

Ken

If anyone has the mental aspect down it's Johnny Football. I don't think there's anyone here who realizes Johnny Football is JUST A 21 YEAR OLD KID.

I think that's where a lot of the concern comes from... he's just a 21 year old kid.

"The house that Johnny built"... What house? How about getting a 'house' first, and then really building it second... What a tool!

Good Luck!

Ken

Anyone catch the McDonalds ad with JM and Lebron? How stupid is it that Lebron was just getting invited to the "group" and JM is already in there? I am quite sure the Lebron has proven himself 10x over before JM did.

Is Johnny Manziel the most polarizing player ever? I've never seen so many varying opinions on one guy before.