• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Manziel Debate

DrJuice1980

Johny will be long gone before we pick. We would need to move up to #3 to ensure either Bridgewater, or JM. I dont think we have what it would take to move up from 8 to get him.

Houston will pick either Manziel, or Bridgewater with the top pick, and if Jacksonville doesnt trade the pick, they will take whichever is left. The Rams wont be picking QB, so no worries about them.

Love or Hate JM, he is many times better then what we have had in years.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Big Dave2

• DrJuice1980

• CaptainMusky

• LMITOUT

We have plenty to move up and get anybody at any spot. Question is...do you want to give the majority of this years draft and probably the upper end of next years in order to do it.

I say no way!!

Manziel or Mosely, just keep drafting for need please.... those who say draft the best player available don't know how to make a team better. I see no need to trade up or down in the first 2 rounds, let the chips fall where they may.

Go ahead and try to compare his athleticism to Kaepernick and you have obviously misjudged talent. Or attempt to relate him to Russell Wilson and then go watch how many plain stupid throws JM makes in comparison to Wilson and you have been mistaken once again.

The kids an athlete that is for sure (not many NFL players arent athletes). You need more than that to be successful in the NFL.

Manziel completed 48 percent of his passes thrown 25 yards or longer this season, up nine percentage points from last season and in the top 10 among AQ quarterbacks.

Manziel had at least one such completion in every game he started this season.

In terms of comparisons to recent draft picks, among first-round picks in 2011 and 2012, only Robert Griffin III had a higher completion percentage on passes of 25 yards or longer than Manziel in his final year of college. Griffin’s was a hair better -- 52 percent.

I'm owned because he had a 6-5 beast target and he competed at least 1 pass every game?

Yawn...

The spot is open for grabs, the question, who wants it the most? I would think our 8th pick, and next years first would suffice? The Rams dont have any huge glaring needs, that they need 2 firsts this year. If Manziel works out, we have a franchise QB, if not, it is just another wasted first round pick.

Quote:

Rams GM Les Snead strongly hinted the Rams are willing to trade back from the No. 2 spot in May's draft.

"I think the (phone lines) are always open," Snead said Thursday. However, Snead suggested the Rams wouldn't make a move just for the sake of doing so. "You've always got to prepare for: What if you're there and nobody wants to trade? What if you actually want to take a player? I think it just helps you thoroughly prepare." With the Rams one of the few teams in the league without a pressing need for a player like South Carolina DE Jadeveon Clowney — and apparently content at quarterback — it would be stunning if they held put at No. 2.

Scott...please do some research to find out what the Skins had to do to trade up for RGIII. If I'm remembering correctly, it was a whole lot more then that. I still don't think they own a 1st round pick and RGIII has been in the league for 2 full years now.

Scott...please do some research to find out what the Skins had to do to trade up for RGIII. If I'm remembering correctly, it was a whole lot more then that. I still don't think they own a 1st round pick and RGIII has been in the league for 2 full years now.

Any team knows that next years Vikings pick is a top 8 pick more then likely, so a couple top 8 picks, put us in about the same value, or better. Just because the Skins traded away their long term future, doesnt make it the norm. 2 #8 picks>#2 pick

full-17556-41280-valuechart.png

Not many teams will give up, a #6, #39, plus the next 2 years first round picks, to move up 4 spots. In fact, I think only Washington would do that.

That's right. That's just F'n crazy.

By all means...RGIII is still NOT a proven franchise QB. The picks they gave up for him is crazy. That's why Washington is Washington.

There are no Andrew Lucks in this draft...that would be the only player in recent memory that could command that type of commitment as far as draft picks is concerned.

Sammy Watkins needs to be the pick at #8...I'd take Denard there too. Pair either one of them together with either Patterson or Rhodes and we're good.

AP only has a few years left...get the offense that will replace him now. Watkins is the real deal...Jennings, Patterson, Watkins and a healthy Rudolph is scary stuff. Add AP in the mix and defenses won't know what hit them.

Most any QB could thrive given that....

Watkins and Dennard will be gone before the 8th pick.

You can almost certainly cross off these players

Bridgewater

Manziel

Clowney

Watkins

Dennard

After that, there isnt many huge play makers left. Then you just get solid starters, which isnt a bad thing.

A couple reasons why Manziel is worth trading up to take him.

Jersey money, whatever team drafts Johny will make a ton of money on jerseys, and marketing. More then enough to cover Johnys football contract.

Media attention, whichever team drafts Johny, will be all but certain to have several national games televised, with ESPN updates on Johny, and the highlights, which in terms, gets free agents interested in coming to them. Something MN has always had problems with.

Fan excitement, Johny will fill the stadium, and bring many fans with him. He is an exciting player to watch.

Not only that, but the football skills he brings to the game, he has pocket presence, something Ponder hadnt a clue, he isnt locked onto any one receiver during a play, he can scramble, and get out of the pocket, and can complete a pass while doing so. He has to be respected by linebackers for his threat to run, which only opens up the middle of the field for the receivers more.

An look on the bright side, he cant be any worse then what we have drafted for QB in the past couple decades, and if he is, look again at the first couple reasons to get him, money, media, and marketing.

Smoke screen

Quote:

Draft Insider Tony Pauline writes that UCF QB Blake Bortles is a "clear-cut favorite" to be the Texans' pick at No. 1 overall.

Pauline believes Texans owner Bob McNair prefers Johnny Manziel, but Bortles is a "Bill O'Brien type of passer," and Houston seems likely to lock in on signal callers with the draft's top pick. Bortles has drawn media comparisons ranging from Jake Locker to Andrew Luck. In his latest mock draft, Pauline pencils in Bortles at No. 1, and Texas A&M LT Jake Matthews at No. 2 to St. Louis.

Would you guys rather lose a couple meaningless regular season games or have to trade multiple first round picks and additional picks for yrs to come to move up a few spots?

I'll take a couple meaningless losses anyday.

I agree. I was hoping the games would be interesting at the end, but that they lost. The Baltimore game was exactly what I wanted. A blast to watch, but ended in a L.

Not that it matters. I could honestly care less if they had the #1 overall pick in THIS draft because I am not all warm and fuzzy with anyone that high in this draft. But it certainly would have been nice to SUCK FOR LUCK a couple years back.

Yep, the vikes win against Washington 2 years ago hurts as much to me as the loss against the Saints in 2009... There was never a bigger turning point for this franchise than that pathetic, meaningless, worthless, etc... game. Adrian tears his knee, and we move from 2-4 for nothing!

Would you guys rather lose a couple meaningless regular season games or have to trade multiple first round picks and additional picks for yrs to come to move up a few spots?

I'll take a couple meaningless losses anyday.

Too late now.

and we move from 2-4 for nothing!

Not too sure RGIII would've been your salvation either. No way Muskrat would have been smart enough to run the pistol offense and as predicted, it was a one year phenomenon. Indy was always taking Luck. So he wouldn't have been there at #2. We'll have to wait and see if RGIII can transition into a prototypical NFL QB. Not sure Ricky would have made the same trade with the Redskins... I think he would've eld on the the second pick and taken RGIII. (or maybe a punter laugh ha)

Good Luck!

Ken

Too late now.

Obviously, just find it funny you got some people wanting the Vikes to win no matter what but then want to trade the farm during the draft to move up.

Then you have the people that want us to lose them meaningless games so we get better draft position since a win at that point means absolutely nothing except a later draft pick.

The latter get ripped on during the season that they aren't true fans wanting the team to lose but in reality they are the ones looking out for the future.

I hear what your saying guru, but when guys are being paid millions of dollars to go out on the field and put forth their best effort I just think in the end that is what they need to do. It is the honest and dignified way to do things, not that every team holds to that dignity but they should.

C'mon! Where's all the chatter about how the NFL is a passing league, need an incredible QB, defense is meaningless, running game is meaningless....

The two teams who advanced yesterday to their conference championships... Their QBs combined for what? 300 yards, 0 TDs... While the RBs and Ds got it done. It's still a team sport! Oh and a tricky coach like Belichek doesn't hurt either! Listening on the radio this morning and peope calling in saying how boring the game was... I loved. It! A great running ame and stiff defense is just as exciting as an aerial assault. Brady was reduced to a game manager... Not saying he doesn't have greater talent than that, but Belichek knew what was needed yesterday...

Good Luck!

Ken

It's pretty funny isn't it.

The league has tried as hard as it can to make it a passing league, you know why with all them cry baby fans calling in saying the games were boring. They want the NFL to be like college football. It's more exciting watching defenses shut down high flying offenses these days especially with all the rules favoring the offense.

Brady has been a game manager all season. Love him or hate him Belichicks team is always prepared and always have the game plan to attack your weakness. They lost their whole identity losing Hernandez and Gronk but still get it done week in and week out.

Seattle has built the perfect team over there the past couple years, they can slow down any QB, can pound the ball at will, and just when they need a nice play from the QB he can make something happen. Their only mistake as been taking the Vikes WR's lol. Percy and Rice can be beasts on the field but man are they always getting hurt.

Anybody bother to check the weather reports from yesterday's games?

Didn't think so.

Carry on.

kaffeetrinker_2.gif

Yeah and everyone knows that defense and running is how New England has won all their games this year. crazy

Johny will be long gone before we pick. We would need to move up to #3 to ensure either Bridgewater, or JM. I dont think we have what it would take to move up from 8 to get him.

Houston will pick either Manziel, or Bridgewater with the top pick, and if Jacksonville doesnt trade the pick, they will take whichever is left. The Rams wont be picking QB, so no worries about them.

Love or Hate JM, he is many times better then what we have had in years.

The spot to move up to will be the #2 spot. I think it is just too expensive to move up to #1.

You would really have to have a bromance for a player to go all the way to 1 from 8.

You know, like Little Dave has for his man crush for Little Johnny or Dr Juice and his franchise saving MLB.

BTW Juice. Good thing Kueckley(sp?)carried Carolina all the way to.... Opps, I forgot they lost cause there QB was turning the ball over. Did he see how he ALMOST made that game saving tackle against Kapernick right before he put on the superman costume??

Anyways.

Not worth it to move up. I sure hope we stay put or even move back. I see nobody worth blowing the next three drafts for. I dont want to be the Washington Redskins.

I really think the Vikings need to go all in on this draft and pick Johny, or Bridgewater. They need to find their QB of the future. Do I think either of them will be a 20 year franchise QB? Probably not, but I think we can get above average play from either of them for 5-7 years, and that is something you can build around.

By all in, I am not saying a Washington type trade, I would say two 1st picks, and maybe a third, or fourth type of deal. But they need to address QB this year. I would then bring back Cassel to mentor the rookie this season. Let Freeman, and Ponder walk.

The Vikings will have some spending money to fill some holes in the defense this offseason, so if we happen to gamble with draft picks this year, we can mask it with FA's.