• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Timberwolves 2013-2014

Scott M

Training camp is about to open...First preseason game tips in just under two weeks.

I think they are pushing for a playoff spot in the 7-8 range, but it's possible they don't make it. Health has been an issue. They should be fun at the very least.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott K

• schmitty3

• ozzie

• EBass

Top Posters In This Topic

Their line up looks good as ever on paper, we will see how they mesh on the court, and whether they can stay healthy or not.

Like them on paper also... health is the KEY... as our bench is ok but if we lose one of our big timers (RR KL or Pek) we are again in trouble. Looking forward to seeing RR set up kevin for 3 after 3

When will the first injury happen, this team just cant stay healthy i hope they do but dont think its gonna happen gonna be a repeat of last year.

Quote:
Chase Budinger has suffered a cartilage injury to his left knee and will see Dr. James Andrews for arthroscopic surgery to assess the damage.

Uh oh. He'll visit RG3's new best friend next week and it's hard to see this ending well. We had Budinger penciled in as the potential starter at small forward in Minnesota, but he is likely going to miss at least 6-8 weeks. Corey Brewer appears to be next in line to start, unless the Wolves decide to give Derrick Williams another shot and play him out of his natural position of power forward. This also opens a door for rookie Shabazz Muhammad to get a shot to make the rotation in training camp.

Quote:
Chase Budinger had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee on Tuesday, involving the removal of his meniscus.

Budinger is out indefinitely and the nature of the surgery is not promising for his season outlook. We'll try to remain optimistic while awaiting medical updates, but the removal of Budinger's meniscus invokes the spectre of Brandon Roy's career-ending knee problems. His absence should hand the starting SF job to Corey Brewer, with Derrick Williams and rookie Shabazz Muhammad backing up the position. Of the three, only Brewer is worth a fantasy draft pick. Check back soon for more information about Budinger's health and season outlook.

Well the Wolves first preseason game is tonight, we will be able to see what some of the new guys can do on the team.

I am hoping DWill will step up and slide in to the SF position, and succeed, but I have my doubts. The Wolves have until the end of the month to pick up the option for next season on him, so it is Williams's time to step up.

JJ wont be playing tonight, which isnt a big deal, we will be able to get a few more looks at Rubio, and his supposedly better jumper, along with Hummel, and Jeffers. Pek, has added even more muscle to his form, which has got to be a nightmare for other centers out there. Barring anymore injuries, I think this years team will sneak in as a 6-8 seed. But then again, I say that about every year.

Starters sat for the second half. The second unit actually turned an 18 point deficit into a 4 point lead before blowing it. DWill is still in the doghouse as he missed some free throws and a putback dunk.

Dwill will get yelled at for trying to make highlight reels. One hand slamming the ball, then missing. I think that last missed slam cost us the game. Although Dwill did actually put us in the position to actually win.

A couple notes from last night, Dwill when he has some plays ran through him, can step up and score. He needs to knock down the freebies at the line, and stop showboating. He did a decent job defending the SF position, but as an entire team our defense stunk last night anyhow. I think he will end up being our starter SF before Christmas.

I hope Jeffers makes the team, he seems to bring some energy to the team, and is trying to make things happen. Price, I think will make it as the back up SG, and will push JJ into a 3rd string PG, and possibly even make him trade bait early on in the season. Our starters need to spend some time in practice together and get their timing on. Love looked lost, and didnt participate in the play, unless the ball was ran through him. Kevin Martin stepped up and got us into the game before half. I would eventually like to see the starting line up of Rubio, Martin, Williams, Love, and Pek. I think this line up will give us the best soring opportunities, but on some teams, we wont have the defense on this line up, so we will need to mixin a few D players into the line up, to match up with opposing teams stars.

I was hoping for better play, but I guess losing last night actually will be a better learning process. I havent given up on them yet, I think they can make some noise this year. We actually get to play other NBA teams this week to evaluate what the team is actually about.

Yep, Brewer will start because of his defense. Flip was on KFAN last Friday and basically said DWill didn't play hard at practice the first three days. He said Shabazz played much harder and that DWill needed to put forth more effort. He must be really bad if Flip is calling him out on the radio.

I don't think it's a big deal that Budinger is going to miss time. It will free up minutes for some other guys. Between Brewer, DWill and Muhammad they should be okay. Brewer is going to have a lot of fast break dunks off passes from Rubio this year.

• 2 weeks later...

The Wolves pulled out an easy expected win last night against the Celtics.

A couple notes from the game

Love looks like he is back on track from a couple years ago, now as long as he doesnt decide to do any more "knuckle push ups" he should be a good asset this season

Martin is the best SG the Wolves have had in 10 years. When he is on, he is on. I just hope when he isnt on, he doesnt just keep throwing up bad shots.

Williams I think is in the dog house, he started last night, but for some reason I think he is just getting minutes to bring in a better trade. In which then we would desperately need a good SF in return, because Corey Brewer isnt going to be a good starting SF, I can see him off the bench, but not as a starter.

Rubio finally had a decent shooting night, his first of the pre season. Hopefully it will continue, but I doubt it.

Pek looked out of place a quite a bit, and it didnt look like he wanted to be out there. Especially on defense. I am sure onse the season gets rolling he will get back into form. At least I hope so, he have him signed for 5 years.

I think this team is a decent SF away from the playoffs this year. Whether that SF comes from within, as in someone stepping up, such as Williams, or one of the rookies, or via trade. Without a decent SF on the team, I think they will miss the playoffs.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here we go. We still look good on paper. Excited to see what this team can do now that it counts. Martin seems to have found his niche here already, at least he passes the eye test for me, and if we can get some kind of miraculous maturity out of DWill, this team is legit. Our "big 3", when they play well and in sync, can run with just about anyone. I hate to even bring up the "H" word, but if we can stay healthy, we can compete.

WOLVES 103, MAGIC 89

Any other guesses or thoughts as we kick off 13-14?

As of right now, I see our only weakness is the SF position. Our bench is in great shape, and is our strong point this year I believe. I think our bench will win us a few games this year.

Rubio, if he can keep up with his offense, our first unit should be able to compete with most of the best teams out there, and our second unit I think is better then most teams out there. But we have such a tough conference, we will need it.

My men's league starts tonight, and if I can get into decent shape, I see myself as a viable starting SF for the T-wolves...also, I'm dating a playboy playmate and an Arabian prince informed me that my grandfather died leaving me $20 million dollars and he's going to put it in my bank account. So life is good.

Opening tap tonight, we'll see how it all looks playing for keeps. I guess "Howling for Wolves" is the nonprofit of the night; supposedly they are getting a percentage of ticket sales. Makes me wanna puke. I meant to call up to Target Center and find out if that is true - I read it at Howling for Wolves' website. I'm sure some marketing/ticket sales person who had no idea what the group is greenlighted it.

Kinda makes me want to stop being a fan. I will be sending an email to them asap. I actually have a contact in the ticket sales department for the Wolves. He will know.

My men's league starts tonight, and if I can get into decent shape, I see myself as a viable starting SF for the T-wolves...also, I'm dating a playboy playmate and an Arabian prince informed me that my grandfather died leaving me $20 million dollars and he's going to put it in my bank account. So life is good.

Opening tap tonight, we'll see how it all looks playing for keeps. I guess "Howling for Wolves" is the nonprofit of the night; supposedly they are getting a percentage of ticket sales. Makes me wanna puke. I meant to call up to Target Center and find out if that is true - I read it at Howling for Wolves' website. I'm sure some marketing/ticket sales person who had no idea what the group is greenlighted it.

Man, that Arabian Prince gets around...I just quit my job after getting the same email smile

Yeah, I have no idea who gets to "set the agenda" for who sponsors a game or who gets a cut on a given night, but I have to believe they knowingly broke bread with these guys... So my vow...for each thousand dollars they raise tonight, I will shoot one wolf in Northern Minnesota. Just doing my part to "maintain a healthy ecological balance." Bite that, Jessica Lange.

I will take 50+ from Love and Martin every game! Fun game to watch if they can improve their defense this will be a solid team.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Watched there last two games they look pretty good was fun to watch for sure!

So nice to see Ridnour gone. Anyone know how long until we can get rid of Barea and completely clean this team of Mark Madsen type players?

I like JJ off the bench, he is that spark plug, and energy we need off the bench. As a starter, no thanks. Just like Luke, he was a decent back up PG, but we forced him to play starter, and SG, which he is neither. But because of so many injuries, we had to play him out of position.

By the way, they are playing a good game against the Knicks right now.

Nice win to go 3-0 for the start of the season. Although they almost gave away the win, the Wolves had control of the game from start to finish.

This team sure is different so far, and in a good way. Defense was much improved last night (in the first half), but we slipped late in the game. Poor floor shooting from the Knicks was a bigger factor in half two then our defense, but a win is a win. Martin has been tremendous, and Love is in mid-season form already. I like a lot of what I am seeing from DWill, too...I think he is maturing a bit. Let's go for 4-0 tonight!

This has been fun!!! Now let's beat the Cavs on the backside of the back to back and come home for the Warriors on Wednesday!!! Turiaf injury hurts the team as he was a player that looked to give us a solid pressence for a short time to give Pek a breather. Why would you want to get rid of JJ? The guy has heart, plays with passion, gets under the skin of the opposing players, and can score in bunches!! I hope they stay healthy because this group will be fun to watch!!!

If the wolves stay healthy we can go deep into the playoffs. Martin is exactly what we have been looking for from a SG. He is much better at cutting to the basket than I remember. We have a good enough bench to play with any team IMO. My only complaint thus far is Rubio shooting too much when he is cold.