• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Timberwolves 2013-2014

Scott M

they play the Raptors in this stretch and I think they are the only team above .500. I think the combined winning percentage they had on the TV over the next 7-8 games was .387. Let's hope they run off a long streak here and posistion themselves into the playoff mix

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott K

• schmitty3

• ozzie

• EBass

Top Posters In This Topic

I think like every other year, we will be shy of making the playoffs. This year it will be by just a couple games, which then puts us in the worst scenario of all. We miss the playoffs again, we will lose our first round pick, because it is only protected to 13, next year we will be hurting because of salary cap, and long signed contracts. We will basically be stuck with the same team as this year, but everyone a year older, and very little defense played by any of them. I predict 40 wins this year, and back to 35 next year.

Are you kidding me we were up 22 ? Its a three point game with 11 seconds. 2 lpoint 6 left

I only had a chance to watch a few minutes of the game, I checked on the score a few times, and then when I saw the final score, I thought, wow, they squeaked it out. It doesnt surprise me at all. We dont have anyone to play defense. Rick would be better off playing all defense after the 3rd quarter, and leaving Love, Pek, and Martin out of the games.

Wow I didn't catch any of the game, but was looking at the score and saw they were up like almost 20 in the 4th quarter... what happened down the stretch?

Well at least they got the W...

So frustrated how this season has gone.

Kevin Love is gone plain and simple.

Maybe, maybe not. Dont believe the media. The Lakers, or Nets are in worse shape the the Timberwolves are. Love gets along with the current FO. I also think Love is a big part of the problem. He needs to learn to play defense, contest shots, rather then just trying to position himself for a possible miss, for the rebound.

The biggest problem is our starters lack of defense up front. Sure they can out score you, but not a one of them can play any defense. When your big three are, Pek, Love, and Martin. I think they need to mix that line up a bit. Put Tariaf in with the starting unit, or run Chase, as the starting SF, rather then having Martin there there. Rubio is another problem, he needs to figure his shot, and have confidence with it, or he is just compounding the problem.

I'm not listening to the media at all regarding love.

Hope you're right but pretty sure you're not lol.

I hope we're not too little, too late to squeak out an 8 seed. Might be close, but it's all uphill from here. That said, a first round playoff exit is just marginally better than missing out altogether.

Home games and a weaker schedule favor us in the short term. On the whole, they are playing much better of late, but the last game's "collapse for the win" against the Nuggets would have been an absolute meltdown loss versus just about any other team... We are far too similar to the '13 Vikes in last second let-downs this year--we'd probably be a 4 seed if we closed out games! I agree with Scott re: mixing up our units... Our "Big 3" is deplorable defensively. It really doesn't matter if you hang 40 on your opponent in a quarter if they are dropping 38... Our 1st and 3rd quarters are great, and our 2nd and fourth quarters are generally pretty bad. Why is that? What adjustments do they need to make? I think, in large part, we have the talent to make a run, but we need to figure out how to put the right pieces on the floor at the right time. Simply trying to outscore everyone gets you a .500 record, and that's okay in the East, but not in our conference...

Agree, too, re: Rubio. He is MUCH more effective when Love is out. He shoots more, drives the lane, and tries to create offense. When Love is on the court with him (aka, not injured), Rubio passes up scoring chances to dump it off to the golden boy. That's not true point guard mentality. There's a time to pass, but a time to shoot, too, and he needs to learn to be much more aggressive. To clarify, "golden boy" is in no way a knock on Love, he's the motor in this machine, no question, but it's almost like Jekyll and Hyde for Rubio as to how he plays with and without Love on the floor.

• 5 weeks later...

Should have played with that intensity all year long...Gorgui Deing might make everyone rethink the Burke trade.

Exactly. When you look at these last 2 wins it makes you wonder where their heads were at all year.

Brewer sets team record with 51 points! This is the best non-playoff team hands down. Lol

Yeah, made me wonder if it was April Fools when I was listening to the radio Saturday.

You mean they are still playing?

I have given up on them this year. I again got sick of them not making the playoffs.

I am getting less and less optimistic about them next year. Unless we bring in another star to the team, I am betting Love is gone midseason next year.

This time of year, it is hard for me to focus on pro sports, unless they are doing good. To many other real life distractions, fishing, yard work, spring cleaning, high school sports, etc..

Adelman retired to no one's surprise. Time for a new coach. I was happy to have him, they improved every year, but the weird substitutions were annoying. Does the coach really matter when they have had 25 years of incompetence in the front office? Flip hasn't been GM for a year, but he's got his work cut out for him, starting with a coach and another draft.

I think Ricks system is one of the past, and isnt designed for young players. We need someone that is capable of developing young players, and allowing players to play their strengths.

Or sit and complain on defense that someone fouled him.

I think Flip will plug in someone more defensive minded, then he will change the roster up a little. If I were Flip, I would be talking to Love this offseason to get a contract extension, or trade him this offseason, and rebuild. What we have now isnt going to work. You cant have Love, Pek, and Martin on the floor at the same time. Not a one of them can play defense. The sad part is of them 3, Pek is the better defensive player, he is just to slow to get back there after hoovering under the baskets waiting for the ball to be passed to him.

Whoever comes in needs to convince Love he needs to stay or its a lost cause

Either love or pek need to leave and I can't see love staying after next year. You can't have a player like love who doesn't hustle without a defensive/hustle minded center on the court as well. Love is just to slow to get back. I'd like to see hoidberg or George Karl next year coaching.

We have some really good players on the team but like stated the pieces don't fit together. Either trade pek or love cause those two together just don't seem to work.

Why dont the Wolves just go out and get someone good, to put along side Love. We have Love signed for 2 more years, take advantage of it. Make your run for the playoffs now. Taylor has the money to pay the luxury tax, just do it!

Teams needs, we need a starting PG. Rubio can run the second squad.

Pek and Love can not play on the floor at the same time, Pek can play on the second unit with Rubio. Let the rookie take the starting center minutes.

While I am not a fan of Martin, he is signed for a couple more years. He wont be as bad if you have a defensive PG, and Center on the floor with him.

SG, I still am not happy with our SG, find a good SG, and sign him to a long contract.

Basically, find a decent defensive minded PG, and get a good SG, mix up the line up to not have our 3 bigs that cant defend on the floor at the same time.

I think Rubio is our starting PG but we certainly need a solid backup that can score. personally I think we have a team that has potential with the right coach. I loved having Adelman here but his demeanor towards the rookies didn't help and he had terrible rotations. Often he would forget a player on the bench even if they had already played good minutes! As for Pek not starting that would be tought to justify since he makes alot of $$$ but I think you can change the rotations after x amount of minutes and use him more with a second group. I like our team and think we are close to being really good if we can add a couple pieces.

• 3 weeks later...

ESPN NEWS

May 18, 2014

Kevin Love has made it clear to the Timberwolves that he intends to become an unrestricted free agent after next season and has no interest in a contract extension to stay in Minnesota, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

Although sources say Love has stopped short of demanding a trade, his position could effectively force the Timberwolves to deal the All-Star forward before next season -- or before the trade deadline in February 2015 at the latest -- if they hope to dodge the risk of losing him without compensation.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Golden State Warriors and Chicago Bulls are among the potential trade destinations that intrigue Love.

The Los Angeles Lakers and New York Knicks have likewise been mentioned all season as big-market landing spots that would tempt Love, but going to the best situation for immediate contention is said to be the power forward's priority.

Sources say that the Phoenix Suns, armed with several draft assets to offer Minnesota, also have strong interest in trading for Love, but the 25-year-old's interest in joining the Suns is unclear.

Any team that trades for Love before he hits the open market in 2015 would naturally need assurances that they can keep him before surrendering quality assets.

The Timberwolves, at the behest of owner Glen Taylor, have rebuffed all trade interest in Love for months, clinging to hope that they can still sell him on committing for the long term and relying at least partly on the belief that he would be unwilling to walk away from the extra year -- worth roughly $30 million -- in his next deal that he can only get from Minnesota if he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

But sources say Love has stressed to the Timberwolves that he's desperate to get to a winning situation and that the constant losing has worn on him. Minnesota has yet to reach the playoffs in Love's six pro seasons and endured a particularly disappointing 2013-14 season, missing out on a top-eight spot in the West thanks in part to a number of close-game defeats.

The uncertainty surrounding Love's future, sources say, has complicated Minnesota's search for a new coach.

ESPN.com reported last month that the Wolves would pursue three of the most high-profile names in the college game to replace the retiring Rick Adelman -- Michigan State's Tom Izzo, Florida's Billy Donovan and Iowa State's Fred Hoiberg -- but quickly discovered they have little chance to lure any coach already under contract in a good situation without clarity regarding Love.

Sources told ESPN.com this week that veteran coach Scott Skiles is among the candidates Wolves president Flip Saunders has interviewed in his search for Adelman's successor.

Yahoo! Sports reported Sunday that Saunders has also interviewed former Wolves forward Sam Mitchell, while the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported in Sunday's editions that he has likewise interviewed former Memphis Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins.

Sources say the possibility remains that Saunders will move downstairs to coach the Wolves himself for a second time, but his focus to date has been trying to find a coach and plot roster moves that would entice Love to stay in the Twin Cities.

Sources say that the Warriors, in particular, have emerged as a top contender for Love should Minnesota relent and decide to trade him. The Warriors don't have a stash of draft picks to offer the Wolves like Phoenix or the Boston Celtics could offer, but Golden State could assemble a trade package featuring the likes of forwards Harrison Barnes and David Lee.

ESPN.com reported in March that rumblings about the Lakers using their forthcoming high lottery pick to try to tempt the Wolves into trading Love were already in circulation.

The lottery to determine the order for the June 26 draft is Tuesday.

ESPN.com also reported in March that Taylor has remained determined to keep resisting all trade offers for his franchise player until, as one source put it, he "has no choice."

Teams around the league are increasingly expected to test that resolve once the lottery order is established.

40-42 High Water Mark? Seriously, just fold this franchise. That's my quote and I'm sticking to it. Significant change since ten years ago for me, but the reality is players dictate decisions, there is no parity, and small markets have no chance unless they have something to entice players (weather, income tax, other elite player friends). I'll stick to college ball, despite the many warts in that system.

Trade Love. He is at his peak. Bogs down the offense, no defense, and we don't win with him anyway. He is not as good as he iis made out to be in my opinion. He gets a lot of shots on a mediocre team. He rebounds like a mad man.

I hope they get more than they got for Williams. . Can't even make the playoffs with him, unlikely to ever win a championship. I'm tired of watching guys like zach Randolph light him up on the defensive side of the court. Offensively, he needs great plays to get shots unless he rebounds.