• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
rowdy

Mauer

greebs

Here's a new ? Would Joe have had his pitchers back the way Brian McCann did last night not allowing Carlos Gomez to even touch home plate after his jack ? I love Carlos Gomez' fire for the game of baseball, he comes ready for battle every day, can't say that for some of our guys and I wouldn't say Milwaukee is in the running whatsoever, Carlos is still battling, we need some warrior types, not laid back types.

Nope on the 1st question. If Carlos were a twin yet he would be in Grady's doghouse big time and I'd say there is a good chance he would have been fined and or suspended. I think Sano got suspended a few games earlier this season for admiring a home run. Warrior types won't be tolerated by current management. Minnesota nice vanillas are only players they seem to want.

Ybone

And why should they tolerate standing and admiring a homerun? If it bounces off the wall he has a single instead of a double or triple

Hoyt4

Gomez is trash for doing that the other night. I would of took the time off for knocking him out as he trotted to home plate. There is fire and warrior types but that was not being any of that.

eyebenband

Well, Drew Butera would have done it....I can't understand

why we didn't keep him and let go of Mauer.

crazycrazy

Musky Buck

Span admired his F-9 he thought was gone, did that twice neither left the yard, remember those ? Carlos did that because of the guy drilling him earlier in the year. I'm just saying we have no Boston attitude, no hard nosed Dan Uggla's or Napoli's or nothing, no fire, we are blah. We need somebody to step up and we know who that somebody is, he was a 3 sport captain I'd assume at Cretin, however it was likely because of his talents and not leadership ability, sure he leads by example when he's out there, but we need someone else to be a vocal leader, to let it be known when needed, to keep guys from just going through the motions when they're hanging their heads. Wish we could've kept Jim Thome around a few more years.

B. Amish

In what way is Joe Mauer "above Mattingly"?

he's about 6" taller.

Big Dave2

If it's fire you want, the Twins should have kept A.J. and drafted a firey pitcher instead of a catcher.

Ybone

That pitcher would have been Mark Prior, he hasn't pitched in the majors since 2006.

JBMasterAngler

With how paranoid Gardy is about pitch counts, Prior would have never been able to throw enough pitches to become injury prone like he was with the cubs.

Cicada

If you take 152 games divided by a five man rotation, you should get about 32 starts per year. Mark Prior had 19, 30, 21, 27, and 9 in his five year career averaging about 6.2 innings per outing. With a 3.51 ERA, 3.1 walks per nine innings, and 10.4 strikeouts per nine innings, he might have averaged around 100 pitches per outing by my best guess. Isn't that about what Gardenhire shoots for? I'd say his health track record was, at best, about the same as Mauer.

Same complaints, different number (bullseye) on the back.

Big Dave2

That pitcher would have been Mark Prior, he hasn't pitched in the majors since 2006.

But at least he helped his team get past the 1st round of the playoffs.

eyebenband

Don Mattingly

Career: 222 HR, .307 BA, 1099 RBI, 1B/OF, 1985 AL MVP, 6xAllStar, 9xGG, Yankees 1982-1995

Mauer

Career .323 HR 105 RBI 634

Joe has a couple of years left...looks close to me.

Big Dave2

Don Mattingly

Career: 222 HR, .307 BA, 1099 RBI, 1B/OF, 1985 AL MVP, 6xAllStar, 9xGG, Yankees 1982-1995

Mauer

Career .323 HR 105 RBI 634

Joe has a couple of years left...looks close to me.

Ummmmmmmm..........I don't think so. Unless Joe is going to double his last 10 years of stats in 4 years. Mattingly put up his numbers while only playing 14 years. Mauer has already played 10 years, but nice try.

greebs

Gladden had some good post game comments today concerning the state of the team. Mentioned that as he looks at every player on the roster, there's not a single one of them that he sees as the "alpha male" type personality that a team needs.

Mauer probably can't help that he isn't that type so not necessarily a knock on him from that end other than the 20/20 hindsight of realizing that the contract they gave him has very good chance to go down in history as a bad one for the team, especially if he becomes a position player other than catcher. That seemed to be the draw to him that catchers don't typically don't provide those type of stats. Move him anywhere else other than middle infield and his power and rbi numbers are such that he's not likely even close to the best player in the league at any of those other positions.

B. Amish

wish i could find the stats that show the run differential with mauer in the lineup this year compared to him out of the lineup. saw them on the twitter and they were amazing.

thing about mattingly is if he were playing here today, you'd be screaming the same thins about him as you are about mauer. he put up his best numbers by far in his mid and early 20's - the rest of his career was very average.