• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mauer

rowdy

He got a concussion back on the 20th of August or so. He said he was definitely going to make it back before the end of the year, but in typical Mauer fashion, will not make it. I know, some guys might hammer on me for being so cold-hearted....after all, it's a concussion. To that I'll answer -- what injury has Mauer EVER returned from on his original timeline or earlier? He's ALWAYS predicting to be back at least a week before he actually is, if not more.

We'll see him on first base next spring as an overpaid corner infielder.

Signing him to that contract will make the Twins losers for the next 10 years. Look at the players we have lost due to keeping him. What a joke!!!!!

"He said he was definitely going to make it back before the end of the year, but in typical Mauer fashion, will not make it."

Way out of line here. When it comes to concussions, the player's feelings and wants have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not he will come back when he wants to. The league has set rules and procedures that he must go through to get approval to get back on the field. The medical personnel put Mauer down for the rest of the year. It was a medical and office decision. You can be all [PoorWordUsage] if you want, but at least be fair.

I heard he got shampoo in his eye

That would more than likely be a 3 week rest for Joe. Seem's he has more time off than most all the players.

Is there any real reason to bring him back this season even if he is healthy? What benefit do the Twins get by having him play the last handful of games in another 90+ loss season?

In the end its rarely the players decision whether or not they play. The decision is almost always up to the medical staff and coaches. With a concussion the player probably gets even less input. I suppose he could lie about how he's feeling to hopefully get back sooner but how does that benefit the him or the team long term if he goes back out and gets another foul ball off the head?

Yes Mauer is over paid based on his production but that doesn't really have anything to do with his concussion or why he's not playing. Also his contract is not the reason the Twins are losing. They are losing because the front office refuses to spend the extra $30 million they've cut from the roster since Target field opened. They can afford to pay Mauer his money and also sign more talent, they just refuse to do so.

Agree Nofisher. There's absolutely no positive outcome gained by bringing him back this year. On the other hand, he could potentially get more seriously injured coming back to play in a handful of absolutely meaningless games (think Adrian Peterson vs. Washington in 2011).

Another shot to the head this soon could put him in Morneau territory.

What benefit do the Twins get by having him play the last handful of games in another 90+ loss season?

I suppose he could lie about how he's feeling to hopefully get back sooner but how does that benefit the him or the team long term if he goes back out and gets another foul ball off the head?

I never implied that Joe would lie about feeling better to get back sooner. I was actually leaning the other way -- since it's another 90+ loss season, he doesn't WANT to be back on the field. Even if he WAS feeling better, he may not let the training/medical staff know because there's no incentive for him to be playing.

Sure, concussions are bad. I understand that. But, football players who are making contact with other players on almost every single play of the game are rarely out for 6 whole weeks with a concussion. All I'm saying is that it's not a stretch to think he may be milking the injury longer than he would if there was a pennant race in play.

But, football players who are making contact with other players on almost every single play of the game are rarely out for 6 whole weeks with a concussion.

And maybe thats why we see so many football players die at 50 years old with a head full of mush. Not sure I'd want to use the NFL as a comparison for how to handle concussions.

Sure Mauer could be milking it but do you think the Twins care? They may even be encouraging it. I'm sure they don't want him out there risking any type of injury in meaningless games.

He's a sissy and has a proven track record of it. Just like most baseball players that coudn't cut it in a real (contact) sport.

He's a sissy and has a proven track record of it. Just like most baseball players that coudn't cut it in a real (contact) sport.

So then what are the rest of us then? We couldn't cut it in any sport and had to go get real jobs.

I do think he's a sissy- just my opinion. But forgot to honk the sarcasm horn on the rest of it. Just getting you baseball fans worked up.

I think Joe should head over to the Vikes and take snaps, see what he's got ? Why not really ? On the side he should be preparing for that, Twins baseball is over by memorial weekend anyway so why not ? He could beat out Ponder. I will ask the neighbor to Joe's hunting shack, he better not be up here in 2 weeks sighting in his rifle with the concussion and all. Maybe it's all the bells and whistles of his bowling alley and video games there that are enhancing concussion like symptoms lol. When is our last game ? That's all the longer he needs to look groggy, then he can say it really improved a lot, isn't that report coming about then. I think he should play if he can, what are we saving him for next season's gold rush to the top or the one after that, we first better be battling what's in our own division, that could take years.

Some are saying he would be an overpaid 1st baseman.

They seem to have forgotten a couple of 1st basemen

named Boggs and Mattingly. Mauer has more HRs then

Boggs and is above Mattingly who had better players

surrounding him.

The Twins could trade Mauer for the best two pitchers

in baseball and the fans would complain we let him

get away.

The Twins could trade Mauer for the best two pitchers

in baseball and the fans would complain we let him

get away.

Sorry, no team would trade two good pitchers for Joe.. or even two crappy ones for that matter smile. We are stuck with his injuries, his track record and his perennial 320ish batting average wink

It's not a bad deal for the owners, they will make their $$$ on his jerseys, bats and what ever else they can slap his name on. It's the fans that will suffer.. his giant pay check eats up a 1/4 of the teams total pay roll. Bottom line, Joe needs to toughen up and the twinks need to spend a few more $$$ if they ever want to contend again 2c

Fans would complain, we tried, he was put on waivers and everyone laughed at that, then they're a fan of people not of the game, you don't catch a 6'6" twig behind home plate, it's the Laudner's, Molina's, Ruiz's, Napoli's,Brian McCann, and Wilson Ramos types you need at that position, he and his Cretin coaches and family knew the fast track to the bigs is a good hitting catcher. But whatever we're stuck. Boggs/mattingly lol, lets compare him to today's big money ballers, Miggy etc. he's right there financially with em all, his numbers stink, his K's are increasing facing tons of righty throwers, he is disinterested completely.

Sure Mauer could be milking it but do you think the Twins care? They may even be encouraging it. I'm sure they don't want him out there risking any type of injury in meaningless games.

By this logic Mauer would never play, the Twins haven't played a meaningful game since 2010 and won't anytime next year (or probably the 2+ years after that)

When I posted that the Twins could trade Mauer for the

two best pitchers in baseball, I was metaphorically speaking.

I wouldn't matter who they got and how well they

preformed, the nay sayers would only see the Mauer

gone part of it and how well he is doing with his new

team and how the Twins mis-managed him.

Look at Gomez. Most Twins fans wanted him gone because

of his antics. Now they are saying, gee whiz, he is an

all-star and we never should have let him go.

Most of the Twins rants belong in silly town, not the baseball

thread, because of all the negativity.

Mauer has more HRs then

Boggs and is above Mattingly who had better players

surrounding him.

In what way is Joe Mauer "above Mattingly"?

I can't wait for him to try first base, he did not look comfortable there by no means when I watched him try. If we want him to play a full year he needs to Edgar Martinez it at DH only. Shut him down for the season, what for next years 60-102 record ? The year afters 65-97 record, save him for what reason, we aint goin anywhere. Almost find the twins situation funny some, here you go Joe, you are the senior twin and should be answering tougher honest questions, how will it get turned around Joe ?

Here's a new ? Would Joe have had his pitchers back the way Brian McCann did last night not allowing Carlos Gomez to even touch home plate after his jack ? I love Carlos Gomez' fire for the game of baseball, he comes ready for battle every day, can't say that for some of our guys and I wouldn't say Milwaukee is in the running whatsoever, Carlos is still battling, we need some warrior types, not laid back types.

Here's a new ? Would Joe have had his pitchers back the way Brian McCann did last night not allowing Carlos Gomez to even touch home plate after his jack ? I love Carlos Gomez' fire for the game of baseball, he comes ready for battle every day, can't say that for some of our guys and I wouldn't say Milwaukee is in the running whatsoever, Carlos is still battling, we need some warrior types, not laid back types.

Nope on the 1st question. If Carlos were a twin yet he would be in Grady's doghouse big time and I'd say there is a good chance he would have been fined and or suspended. I think Sano got suspended a few games earlier this season for admiring a home run. Warrior types won't be tolerated by current management. Minnesota nice vanillas are only players they seem to want.

And why should they tolerate standing and admiring a homerun? If it bounces off the wall he has a single instead of a double or triple

Gomez is trash for doing that the other night. I would of took the time off for knocking him out as he trotted to home plate. There is fire and warrior types but that was not being any of that.

Span admired his F-9 he thought was gone, did that twice neither left the yard, remember those ? Carlos did that because of the guy drilling him earlier in the year. I'm just saying we have no Boston attitude, no hard nosed Dan Uggla's or Napoli's or nothing, no fire, we are blah. We need somebody to step up and we know who that somebody is, he was a 3 sport captain I'd assume at Cretin, however it was likely because of his talents and not leadership ability, sure he leads by example when he's out there, but we need someone else to be a vocal leader, to let it be known when needed, to keep guys from just going through the motions when they're hanging their heads. Wish we could've kept Jim Thome around a few more years.