• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Canada goose

erikwells

I shot one that I put on the scale this weekend that weighed 13 lbs. I haven't shot a ton of geese but it was likely the largest bird I have shot. What is considered to be big in terms of weight for Canada geese?

That's pretty normal. Maybe high average. I shot one this weekend that was a hair over 15. I'd say that's more the exception than the norm. Guys "claimed" to have bagged 20 pounders, but I've never seen evidence to suggest they weren't simply full of talk and Bud Light.

I've taken a few around the 17-18 lb. mark. You know they're really big when you go to pick them up and your hand can't reach all the way around their neck. My apologies if that's too graphic, but it's true.

There are actually something like 17 subspecies of Canadian Geese. All the way from the true "lessers" which, when fully mature, are very near the size of a large Mallard duck, to the true "greater" or giant Canadian geese which stand near 3 1/2 - 4 feet tall, and can weigh near 20 lbs when they are healthy and reach full maturity.

Those real giants are tough to knock down. Truly awesome birds.

If you listen closely you can tell by their call which are the big birds vs. the smaller birds. The lessers, and many in between, sound like small dogs with sore throats. The greaters sound like they're calling thru a large bull horn.

The real giants are typically the last birds to come down from Canada. They are extremely hardy, and can tolerate almost unbelievable conditions.

sam's not to far off, there are 7 subspecies of Canada geese, Vancouver,dusky, lesser, moffitt, giant, Hudson bay, atlantic and they are trying to get the cackling goose (which was put with the lesser) to be it own class. the smaller subspecies are the last to go south, they nest farther northern than the giants. only seen a handful of geese over 15.lbs geese look bigger later in the season only because they are fully feathered or they are a big goose. if you shot a 13.lb goose, you shot a big goose. last place I saw 15.lbs plus geese was out by bismark nd late in the season they came off a warm water discharge to a corn field. (I missed)

I want some goose pics on some scales now. smile I dont know if ive ever shot one over 15 lbs (Disclaimer... I have never weighed one either). I have shot thousands of geese in my day. A 13 lb goose is on the big side i would say. For those that say they have shot 20 lbers i might have to wave the flag. Not saying it cant happen but just not too many out there. Ive had a few buddys claim they shot 17 lbers but i have never seen one on a scale. I should maybe start weighing them and find out for myself. If someone can find some pics with some big ones on scales lets see them. I think it would give everone an idea of what it takes to make a 15+ lb bird.

A few years ago Paul at aero outdoors ran a contest giving away a dozen of his decoys valued at around $1,000 to the first person to mail him a 16 pound goose. This offer was on evey waterfowl forum at the time and not one person could do it. Eventually he gave it to the biggest goose that was like 14 pounds. I never believe anyone that says they shoot 15lbs+ geese unless it's a pic on a certified scale, not some crappy fish scale.

I've seen three that were weighed at 16 lbs. that came off the refuge at Talcot when we used to hunt their in the eighties. I have pictures of two of them but not on a scale. I shot a 14 lb. gander last fall that was the biggest one of my hunting career.

Thanks for correcting me zero. I knew the number had a seven in it. I was probably thinking of another species of bird, or mammal.

Anyway, with all due respect to what others have seen, heard, or experienced themselves, I consider myself a fairly good judge of weight and size, and really don't mean to blow myself up by exaggerating an animal.

I've spent near my whole life at the head of the Mississippi flyway, and hunted all over NoDak late into the season when most have long since packed up their gear. I've taken a few of these rare true giants, and had hunters with me that have shot one or two as well. They are definitely the exception to the rule, and you know it right away when you pick them off the ground. Their sheer size is impressive to say the least.

I wonder if it makes any difference the closer one hunts to their breeding grounds? Perhaps they lose some weight the further they move thru their migration routes? I don't honestly don't know.

We shoot 10-14 lb geese on a routine basis, but when you drop one of the true giants they make a 12 lb goose look small. God's honest truth!

Now I'm gonna have to start weighing them before i clean them! I shot one in North Dakota last year that was huge compared to the other ones, so hopefully I can get another one like it this year and get it on a scale!

The thing that impressed me with those 16 pounders was the size of their heads. They were at least as big as softballs. Much bigger than your average goose.

It's not hunting season without a 15-20 pound goose thread. Certified scale sure fixes the guesstimates.

Again, to the doubters and folks who are "amused" by our discussion, try and think of it this way.

Does every musky hunter out there catch a 45+ lb fish in their lifetime of chasing trophy fish? Nope. In fact of all the muskies caught over many, many years, there's only a few true giants caught by a lucky, or very talented, few anglers.

Does every avid deer hunter harvest a true 180+ inch giant? Of course not. Most deer hunters never even see a deer that big in their entire lifetime of hunting. But a few hunters get one that big, or bigger, each year. And a handful of really good hunters take one that big, or bigger, on a routine basis.

Same can be said for virtually every species of fish, and every game bird or mammal out there. There are a few near record, or record sized critters of every species out there at any given time. Deer, Bear, Turkey, Walleyes, Bass, Crappies, etc., etc., etc.. So why would it be any different for Giant Canadian Geese?

There are 220+ inch White-tails, 800+ pound Black Bear, 20 pound walleyes, 50 pound muskies, 4 pound crappies, and yes, 18-20+ pound Canadian Geese.

Not everyone is going to bag one. But some do.

I actually find it "amusing" that so many of you don't believe they exist. Meanwhile, someone just tagged a record book Elk, in Northern Minnesota no less! whistle I suppose they don't really exist either?

17-18 lb. canadas are up there in abundance with the dodo bird these days. Maybe if you clipped one's wings and fed it corn for a year you could fatten one up that much. A few years ago a guy (believe he was a guide) on a waterfowl forum had a contest if you shot a 15lb honker you'd win a dozen high-dollar decoys and I think it took a couple years to even get one that big. I've weighed some geese that are noticeably large and they're usually 13-14 lbs.

Again, to the doubters and folks who are "amused" by our discussion, try and think of it this way.

Does every musky hunter out there catch a 45+ lb fish in their lifetime of chasing trophy fish? Nope. In fact of all the muskies caught over many, many years, there's only a few true giants caught by a lucky, or very talented, few anglers.

Does every avid deer hunter harvest a true 180+ inch giant? Of course not. Most deer hunters never even see a deer that big in their entire lifetime of hunting. But a few hunters get one that big, or bigger, each year. And a handful of really good hunters take one that big, or bigger, on a routine basis.

Same can be said for virtually every species of fish, and every game bird or mammal out there. There are a few near record, or record sized critters of every species out there at any given time. Deer, Bear, Turkey, Walleyes, Bass, Crappies, etc., etc., etc.. So why would it be any different for Giant Canadian Geese?

There are 220+ inch White-tails, 800+ pound Black Bear, 20 pound walleyes, 50 pound muskies, 4 pound crappies, and yes, 18-20+ pound Canadian Geese.

Not everyone is going to bag one. But some do.

I actually find it "amusing" that so many of you don't believe they exist. Meanwhile, someone just tagged a record book Elk, in Northern Minnesota no less! whistle I suppose they don't really exist either?

Yet, with absolutely no proof of Canada Geese over 15lbs, you've shot several??

Maybe you're not as good at guesstimating weights as you'd believe. That's OK...I don't personally believe people are good at it either...especially with large birds.

Birds...unlike most other animals, have very consistant maximum sizes.

No doubt, I hear about the 170 pound dressed doe every year lol along with the 500 yard shot. When people get something slightly larger than the norm it gets lots of extra pounds added. We did shoot a few real monster geese last December, no way I want to sling around the weight, this December if fortunate enough I will weigh the largest one we get and post it. 14 is likely, when you're holding a 9 pounder it feels 20, but isn't.

Cannopy Sam im not saying they are not out there just very rare. I would just like to see some on scales is all. I dont think i have honestly shot one over 14 lbs and i have shot many geese in the past 25 years. Im just curious as to how many over 15 lbs get shot every year.

No scale but pretty confident this one didn't push the 20 mark. full-283-37234-2012_11_1219.10.28.jpg

Those little buggers make my mouth water and trigger finger itch. God, do I love those birds!

Maybe not but if that goose is 10 pounds that drake is eleven!

If you guys ever get down to Rochester, you can still walk right up to a whole bunch of Canada Geese. This is where the thought to be extinct Giant subspecies was rediscovered. Bring some corn or a loaf of bread. They are still around and although they have spread out some to various flood control ponds and flooded quarries there are still plenty at Silver Lake in the fall.

• 1 month later...