• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wolf Lottery

elkhuntingfan

I scored a permit. Any of you guys got any tips for wolf. I have a descent strategy for the hunt but your opinions matter.

I drew again this year. We'll see if I can tag another.

Port. Winterhawk, try coyote howls or fawn in distress calls. A combination of the two worked out well for me last year.

Thanks NoWiser.. I was going to use the fawn in distress, that is good strategy to throw in the coyote howl. Wow! you drew 2 years straight. Good luck with your hunt.

• 3 weeks later...

I drew again this year. We'll see if I can tag another.

Port. Winterhawk, try coyote howls or fawn in distress calls. A combination of the two worked out well for me last year.

No offense to you. But that is bull! They should have a preference system for those not drawn like they do for turkey hunting. Good luck to you though!!

No offense to you. But that is bull! They should have a preference system for those not drawn like they do for turkey hunting. Good luck to you though!!

169, I definitely don't disagree with you. The only reason I applied this year was just to build up points so that in a few years I could draw again. When the results were posted and I found out that I drew for the second year in a row and my dad did not draw for the second year in a row I was very confused. I called the DNR and talked to them about it. Turns out even though the website lists preference points when you check to see if you are successful, it is in fact a random draw. The guy I talked to said it may go to preference points in the future, but that the DNR can't legally implement the system. It will take legislative action. My guess is that the season was so fragile yet this fall, they didn't really want to do draw anymore attention to it than they had to.

I honestly wasn't that hyped up to hunt wolves again this fall but the opportunity is there, the wolves are thick, and I'd be foolish not to take advantage of it. It will be fun and I'm giving myself a full week, so hopefully I can get it done!

Good luck in the future!

• 11 months later...

Results are in for this years wolf tags. Luckily my dad and I both got the tag for late season can't wait to try to get him one. Anyone else get a tag? And what area do you guys hunt?

For you guys that want to hunt in a group, or not at all should be applying in a group. Thats the point of them, you each get a tag and its either a all or nothing.

On a bright note, my grounp of 3 drew this year again. Hope we can put a few down this year. Got mine last year. Good luck

There were a couple of us that applied and did not get drawn again... I assumed it was preference points but I guess not. Try again next year!

If anyone is looking for land to hunt/trap for late season in the northeast zone please send me a message. It would be about 50 miles from Duluth and 2 hours from Twin Cities.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

The sad thing is I keep forgetting to put in for the darn thing! I had fresh tracks on the way in to putting our stands up just last weekend! cry

NoWiser, I believe you harvested one last year, what did you end up doing with it? Rug, mount?

I harvested one 2 years ago. I ended up doing a full body mount for a taxidermist who wanted it for advertising. He gave me an incredible deal on it but, unfortunately, I got what I paid for. I haven't picked it up yet because I don't have an area to display it where nobody can see it. I knew better but went the cheap route anyway. Tough lesson to learn...

Bummer, I've looked around at a few taxidermy places and you see some good ones but you also see some fugly ones as well. Let's hope I have a choice to make this fall as I got drawn. And they're downright expensive for even a rug...

Yup, I got cold feet and called him to cancel but he said he had it 1/2 done already. I asked for pictures but he said he didn't have time, though he posted about 10 pictures to facebook that night. I got pictures of some of it stitched up 5 days later. I know he lied through his teeth but he was 5 hours away and I couldn't just run and get it from him. Like I said, tough lesson even though I knew better.

Good luck on your hunt! I hope you get a big one! It is really exciting hearing howling all around you when you have a wolf tag in hand. Post pics and a story when you get one! Where about will you be hunting them?

• 2 weeks later...

I had a tag 2 years ago and didn't get close enough to pull the trigger. Last year with no tag 6 of them lined up on me while I was in my deer stand and did a deer drive. Saw a really big one the next day on the way home on the side of the road 30 miles away from camp. Stopped and rolled down the truck window and hollered at him a half dozen times before he got disgusted and walked away. He was 10 feet from my window and of course my camera was buried in my pack. Got a tag again this year so I'm gonna have another go at 'em. I do agree with you guys though that there should be a preference system.

I have a question on Wolf Hunting. We drew 3 tags in our group this year, but here is my question: If we are successful in harvesting a wolf during the first weekend of deer season, from what I read:

1) I need to tag the animal and register it right away

2) Skin the animal, but do not gut it and keep evidence of sex attached

3) I need to keep the pelt and the carcass for inspection

Here is where my question lies - It states that the wolf inspection sites open on Wednesday after opener and the carcass can't be frozen, so what if I shoot one on Saturday morning. What are you supposed to do with it for 4 days to prevent it from freezing? I seem to remember NoWiser smoked a big boy last year.

Just wondering what to do in the event that we are successful.

Thank you,

DL

I'd contact the local C.O....I heard that they will let you keep the carcass in their office for a couple three days until you can officially give it to them. eek

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

My dad drew a wolf tag. It does seem the wolves stay away from the guys with the tags in their pockets at least for our group

Woody,

I'd call the closest DNR wildlife office and talk to them. They may be able to take care of you outside of the designated inspection times. You do not want to have to deal with a wolf carcass any longer than you need to. They smell bad. Really, really bad.

When I shot mine it was a giant gongshow. DNR employees took off early on the Friday that they were supposed to be around to do the carcass inspections. So, I had to keep the carcass in a refrigerator for the weekend. Then they were closed Monday for a holiday. I finally took it in Tuesday and they forgot the kit they needed to deal with it. So, I had to leave it with them and pick it up a day or two later so that I could dispose of it. It ended up being about a week after I shot it before I buried it and I ended up missing a full day of work to meet all the requirements. Hopefully they have their act together by now, and hopefully you shoot a big one!

Good luck!

THanks NoWiser.....Hopefully I have to deal with the Riga-Marole because I am lucky enough to tag one!

DL